Your Mandler MVP's (Most Valuable Players)

grahamc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

52 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

That 3D pop of the 28 III is a much loved and sought after characteristic of this lens, not a good luck thingy. Buy with confidence.
The IV is clearly sharper in the corners and a bit contrastier according to my online research somewhere up to f4.5, after that there should not be any remarkable difference between the two.

That's great to know, thanks for clarifying Al 

8 minutes ago, ianman said:

Is this a Mandler design? The wiki says otherwise. I have the black paint version and it’s one I use quite a bit.

It's optically identical to the previous version, designed by Mandler. The exterior changes may have been made by someone else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, evikne said:

He never said he didn't like it. It's just a misconception that has spread online.

Trust me, he did. He stated Dr. Mandler's 75mm Summilux 1.4 was his *least* favorite design. It is of course logical, that lens is NOT critically sharp wide open and Karbe strives for his (or "his team's", as he likes to put it) designs to be flawless using at the widest aperture - "stop down for what?".
Plus, I have also asked him in person in Wetzlar a few weeks ago.

Edited by Al Brown

2 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Trust me, he did. He stated Dr. Mandler's 75mm Summilux 1.4 was his *least* favorite design. It is of course logical, that lens is NOT critically sharp wide open and Karbe strives that his (or "his team's", as he likes to put it) designs are made to be flawless using at the widest aperture - "stop down for what?".
Plus, I have also asked him in person in Wetzlar a few weeks ago.

I have seen an interview where he said the opposite. But unfortunately I can't remember where.

35 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

I have no list to share 😇.

Needless to say, I was ( ...still am ) long decades of Mandler's lenses which I knew nothing before entering this website.

I just use happily those nice creations of the wise man who saved Leica M ( later knowledge! ).

Two lenses which "prevented" me to use 28mm for long were 21mm and 35mm lenses.

In 28mm, out of topic, as I discovered the long waited Summicron-M 28mm ( not Mandler ! 1992-2005 period ) to be my favorite for years ( before the 'now'  tiny asph. 28 Elmarit-M ).

My end word would be for you Graham, if you can, try this nice 2/28mm, then you can decide for your next 28mm.

:D  Thanks Arnaud ... I'll check it out and appreciate the recommendation.   We seem spoilt at 28mm FL .  I should take this opportunity to ask what you like so much about this 2/28 ?  

Edited by grahamc

14 minutes ago, ianman said:

Is this a Mandler design? The wiki says otherwise. I have the black paint version and it’s one I use quite a bit.

I also have the 75mm Summilux which, weak hearts avert your eyes now, I hate to use. Too big, too heavy, never ending focus throw… when I finally get around to selling some lenses it will be top of the list.

Ian, we (I) change.

Myself, I regret not using this nice 75mm lens for some years now, prefering the lighter Summarit-M 2.5/75mm.

Once I had two Summilux-M 75mm to share with my wife, but she prefered Apo-Summicron-M 2/75, I understand.

So I sold one Lux 75mm with some regret.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 minutes ago, grahamc said:

:D  Thanks Arnaud ... I'll check it out and appreciate the recommendation.   We seem spoilt at 28mm FL .  I should take this opportunity to ask what you like so much about this 2/28 ?  

When I purchased the Summicron-M 2/28 second hand, I still lived in Paris.

As usual, I use only that lens to know how to use in which situation, so just to learn to know.

On my 'new' Monochrom, this 28mm was perfect combo, so I explored Paris with the combo, to find out

that the 2/28mm lens on Monochrom can shine new light to my practice.

I'm reluctant to show some images which my wife is on it, I'll ask her to approve ...👍 before posting.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, evikne said:

My list is pretty similar to yours.

35mm Summilux pre-ASPH v2. I have also tried the Summicron v4, but landed on the Summilux, despite its "annoying" 1 m MFD.

50mm Summilux pre-ASPH v3. I have also owned the 50mm Noctilux f/1 and 75mm Summilux, but had to sell them for financial reasons. My thought was that the Summilux could be a kind of substitute for both, because the rendering is quite similar (of course apart from their extremely shallow DOF and extra focal length). It has worked pretty well, but I still miss both the other two from time to time.

If I get the opportunity to buy a new lens, it will be either another 75mm Summilux, or the 90mm Summicron v3. The new dilemma will be to choose between a longer focal length or a larger degree of magnification. The short MFD of 75mm also makes it very suitable for close-up photography.

Thanks @evikne.  I agree about the v4.  It's really nice and the convenience of it's small size and weight means it has a unique proposition of it's own, but overall the 35:1.4 v2 had to make my list.       

2 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

When I purchased the Summicron-M 2/28 second hand, I still lived in Paris.

As usual, I use only that lens to know how to use in which situation, so just to learn to know.

On my 'new' Monochrom, this 28mm was perfect combo, so I explored Paris with the combo, to find out

that the 2/28mm lens on Monochrom can shine new light to my practice.

I'm reluctant to show some images which my wife is on it, I'll ask her to approve ...👍 before posting.

Thanks Arnaud.  The look of the 28s in Monochrom really due seem to be special so this is interesting to hear your journey with that lens, sounds like perfect environment for it

37 minutes ago, ianman said:

I also have the 75mm Summilux which, weak hearts avert your eyes now, I hate to use. Too big, too heavy, never ending focus throw… when I finally get around to selling some lenses it will be top of the list.

I have to admire this one from afar also as I think I would find it a bit impractical in use also.  But really enjoy the majority of images I see made with it .  

So we know what's on your transfer list .. but who's on the team sheet ? :P 

Edited by grahamc

47 minutes ago, grahamc said:

Thanks Arnaud.  The look of the 28s in Monochrom really due seem to be special so this is interesting to hear your journey with that lens, sounds like perfect environment for it

I had posted some Monochrom + 2/28 :

here

and there,

not typical use but just to share some (not my 'thinking' best with this combo)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grahamc said:

But really enjoy the majority of images I see made with it .  

Yes, nothing wrong with the photos. I just hate using it. It hardly ever gets used due to size/weight and that terrible long throw.

1 hour ago, grahamc said:

So we know what's on your transfer list .. but who's on the team sheet ? :P 

The only other I have is the 50mm Summilux v3 black paint (11623), but I didn't know it was one of his. I'll probably keep this one.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ianman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ianman said:

The only other I have is the 50mm Summilux v3 black paint (11623), but I didn't know it was one of his. I'll probably keep this one.

Gorgeous camera and a beautiful BP lens!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ianman said:

Yes, nothing wrong with the photos. I just hate using it. It hardly ever gets used due to size/weight and that terrible long throw.

Ah ... lovely  :) Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

Had to look up which of my lenses were Mandler lenses.  Who knew?  Anyway, I have always really liked the 90.  It's nice for outdoors / landscape for certain scenes and also good as a portrait lens opened up.  The 50/1.0 is of course a specialty.  The only time that I take it out over the much smaller Summicron is for the wide open effect.  Once I buy, I don't sell (I have had these since new), so that tends to keep me from upgrading perfectly good lenses that I'm already used to.  

Edited by aristotle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Artin said:

From the lenses that I have owned past and present 

21 mm elmirite ... the only Mandler wide good lens but did lose out to the MATE 

28 mm I never had one 

35mm Summilux v2 .. will win second place in my Mandler camp on my all time favourites 

50 mm Noct.. F1 .. had one for a few years never really got attached may try again ?

50mm summilux pre asph V3.  That will win my Mandler 50 camp 

50mm Summicron v5. I beleave still a Mandler design  very beautiful lens joy to use 

75 mm Summilux V2 Canadian My absolute Champion of all Leica glass indispensable 

80 mm Summilux R better then the 75 M by a slight thread but not range coupled so the 75 still wins but I miss mine 

90 mm Summicron v3 Canadian excellent value great lens 

135 tele Elmar clip on hood perfect balance of sharpness and falloff great value ..I actually prefer this version to the sliding hood it just looks cool 

400mm F5 Viso. Another great value with eye popping performance 

these have been the Mandler lenses I have owned or still own 

the 75 and 35 Lux are must haves if you are a fan of the Mandler Magic 

Thanks @Artin very cool and informative list ! 

2 hours ago, aristotle said:

Had to look up which of my lenses were Mandler lenses.  Who knew?  Anyway, I have always really liked the 90.  It's nice for outdoors / landscape for certain scenes and also good as a portrait lens opened up.  The 50/1.0 is of course a specialty.  The only time that I take it out over the much smaller Summicron is for the wide open effect.  Once I buy, I don't sell (I have had these since new), so that tends to keep me from upgrading perfectly good lenses that I'm already used to.  

Thanks for contributing - nice lenses and all looking very nice there.  The 90 is very sharp isn't it.   Looks great on the chrome m6 

Edited by grahamc

Most valuable i don't know but my favorite Mandler lenses would be as follows. 
BTW the Summilux 50/1.4 v3 is too late to be a Mandler design and its optics are not identical to v2 but very close. Not listed below because only one lens is allowed per focal length and i use more 50/2 v4 and v5 besides the Karbe's 50/1.4 asph.
• Elmarit 21/2.8: No experience but it is the only Mandler 21
• Elmarit 28/2.8 v3: No experience but it is the only Mandler 28
• Summicron 35/2 v4: German version preferably for its lack of plastic parts
• Summicron 50/2 v4 or v5: v4 for compactness, v5 for built-in hood
• Summilux 75/1.4: Big lens i don't use much but it is the only Mandler 75
• Summicron 90/2 v2: My favorite M 90 but big lens
• Tele-Elmar 135/4 v2: No experience but excellent reputation

Edited by lct
  • Thanks 1