Summilux-M 1.4/28 ASPH chromatic aberration

hirohhhh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is my first M lens and I noticed it has a lot of chromatic aboration when shooting towards the sun. I have five SL lenses from 24 to 280mm and never noticed any chromatic aberration in the last 6 years of using the SL system. Is this normal for the M lenses, or is it due to the wide angle, or depth of field? Or it's just the problem with my lens?

This was shot with ISO 100, f1.4, 1/350s

No matter if the "Remove Chromatic Aberration" option in Lightroom is turned on or off, the effect is the same.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hirohhhh

• hirohhhh changed the title to Summilux-M 1.4/28 ASPH chromatic aberration
3 hours ago, hirohhhh said:

I have five SL lenses from 24 to 280mm and never noticed any chromatic aberration

It could just be your lens copy. But since I don't use the 28 Summilux myself, someone who does will have to answer that question. It's not impossible.

What are the maximum apertures of your SL lenses?

Roughly speaking, lens aberrations increase as the square of the amount of light being transmitted. So an f/1.4 lens (double the light) will be 4 times as hard to correct as an f/2 lens (both wide open) and 16 times as hard to correct (4x the light) as an f/2.8 lens wide open.

When you use your SL lenses - do you blow out the sky as much as you have in the example above? Overexposing skies behind a dark foreground is a very good way to exaggerate purple fringing.

Wide-angle lenses like a 28 also tend to be harder to correct for some purple fringing than, say, a 50mm with the same aperture. Because they bend the light more to pull in the wide view of the world. And as we know from Newton's Prism, bending light with glass tends to fringe out the colors like a rainbow. And violet (right next to ultraviolet in the spectrum - which causes sunburn) is the most energetic of the visible colors, and so the most troublesome.

https://smudgyguide.net/a-prism-through-which-the-divine-light-passes/

As to Lightroom corrections - there should be manual sliders available to remove color fringing, if the Auto or Profile tab doesn't do anything.

Lens Corrections > Manual > Defringe > Amount + Purple Hue.

Edited by adan

23 minutes ago, adan said:

It could just be your lens copy. But since I don't use the 28 Summilux myself, someone who does will have to answer that question. It's not impossible.

What are the maximum apertures of your SL lenses?

Roughly speaking, lens aberrations increase as the square of the amount of light being transmitted. So an f/1.4 lens (double the light) will be 4 times as hard to correct as an f/2 lens (both wide open) and 16 times as hard to correct (4x the light) as an f/2.8 lens wide open.

When you use your SL lenses - do you blow out the sky as much as you have in the example above? Overexposing skies behind a dark foreground is a very good way to exaggerate purple fringing.

Wide-angle lenses like a 28 also tend to be harder to correct for some purple fringing than, say, a 50mm with the same aperture. Because they bend the light more to pull in the wide view of the world. And as we know from Newton's Prism, bending light with glass tends to fringe out the colors like a rainbow. And violet (right next to ultraviolet in the spectrum - which causes sunburn) is the most energetic of the visible colors, and so the most troublesome.

https://smudgyguide.net/a-prism-through-which-the-divine-light-passes/

As to Lightroom corrections - there should be manual sliders available to remove color fringing, if the Auto or Profile tab doesn't do anything.

Lens Corrections > Manual > Defringe > Amount + Purple Hue.

I have Summilux SL 50 1.4. I also have Summicron f/2 and Vario Elmarit f/2.8 SL lenses. I didn't tested it towards direct sun recently, but I can't remember I ever had to deal with the chromatic abberation in the last 6 years and over 30,000 shots. Maybe I just never had such situation that I shot at the direct sun, through branches, wide open.

Anyway, manual defringe did the job! I though I know every single hidden option in the LrC and just now I discovered this panel, lol (one more proof I never had to deal with it using SL). It works like a magic. Purple is completely gone.

Thanks!

Edited by hirohhhh

5 hours ago, hirohhhh said:

I have Summilux SL 50 1.4. I also have Summicron f/2 and Vario Elmarit f/2.8 SL lenses. I didn't tested it towards direct sun recently, but I can't remember I ever had to deal with the chromatic abberation in the last 6 years and over 30,000 shots. Maybe I just never had such situation that I shot at the direct sun, through branches, wide open.

Anyway, manual defringe did the job! I though I know every single hidden option in the LrC and just now I discovered this panel, lol (one more proof I never had to deal with it using SL). It works like a magic. Purple is completely gone.

Thanks!

I do have the Summilux 50 1.4 and if shot wide open directly against the sun, you'll see purple fringing, but less than your photo.

In fact, as far as I know, there's no f/1.4 lens without purple fringing.

• Like 1

The 50mm Lux is pretty good with chroma wide open in my experience. The 28mm not so much. Difficult to tell from your shot as to whether or not its excessive in your case, but my copy certainly generates purple with backlighting.  First shot I ran across... a throwaway which just to give context I lightly processed followed by a 100% crop of the same frame,  prior to any processing. Looks similar to what you're seeing. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Tailwagger

The 28 lux does indeed have a lot of chromatic abortions wide open shooting against a bright background.  CA on my 28 lux looks similar to yours but LR does a decent job of removing most of it.  Of all the modern Summilux lenses I find the 28 lux exhibits the most CA wide open yet it remains my favorite Summilux lens.

26 minutes ago, ELAN said:

The 28 lux does indeed have a lot of chromatic abortions wide open shooting against a bright background.  CA on my 28 lux looks similar to yours but LR does a decent job of removing most of it.  Of all the modern Summilux lenses I find the 28 lux exhibits the most CA wide open yet it remains my favorite Summilux lens.

The images self destruct?

On 10/28/2021 at 1:57 PM, Simone_DF said:

the Summilux 50 1.4 and if shot wide open directly against the sun, you'll see purple fringing, but less than your photo

Same experience. I notice purple fringing is present in the OOF areas, actually much more than in the focus plane.