The M's future?

Max EPR

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love Leica. I have a M10, Q2 and SL2 plus many lenses. The M10 is a great size, fun and well made, but the SL2 and SL lenses are simply superior. That's why I'm asking what is the M's future when the SL system is simply the best choice for the easiest and sharpest photo and with greater wide angle and telephoto usability?  Last point, the SL f2.0 APO Summicrons also have very nice bokeh. Your thoughts.

The SL and Q and other systems will never make the M cameras redundant. The M is not competing with any other systems. If that was the case, it should have been buried a long time ago. But the rangefinder makes the M something completely different. The M is safe as long as it remains true to its heritage and doesn't strive to be anything else.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 13

I've been contemplating getting an SL2, but I just don't really see myself carrying that thing around in public.  With a 50mm Summilux-SL attached, that things is a bazooka, specially compared to my Summilux-M.  Even the Summicron-SL aren't that much smaller.  The SL is mainly a studio camera, and I don't expect to see many people using it for street photography.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nobody makes M. SL is just a variation from many other choices.

But reading this forum, I realize you never know. X series were stopped without official announcement. CL future gets questionable.

From regular person perspective, M lenses are profitable and selling well without AF and IS. Why would Leica cut off these…

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Max EPR said:

I love Leica. I have a M10, Q2 and SL2 plus many lenses. The M10 is a great size, fun and well made, but the SL2 and SL lenses are simply superior. That's why I'm asking what is the M's future when the SL system is simply the best choice for the easiest and sharpest photo and with greater wide angle and telephoto usability?  Last point, the SL f2.0 APO Summicrons also have very nice bokeh. Your thoughts.

The same was said 55-60 years ago when SLRs (including the Leicaflex) took the world by storm.

So long as the M has unique selling propositions (meaning it doesn't try to chase the herd) and a "sufficient" market. it will soldier on.

IF the M ever becomes a money-losing proposition for Leica, and they can't figure out an economics adjustment (as did Leitz Canada in 1977), then it may disappear.

Since Leica is privately-held, only Leica knows the reality.

• Like 4

Here is my experience. I have a M10 with a  50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH and 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH. Both great lenses. If I use liveview to get perfect focus and compare those photos to my SL2 with an APO-Summicron-SL f/2 ASPH, the SL photos are simply noticeably sharper and to me more Leica "wow". The M 50mm bokeh at 1.4 is incredible. I agree the M is Leica's heritage, smaller, a better street camera, but the SL lenses are almost always superior to an M.  I will never sell my M. I really love the M. Sometimes I just like to look at it. The size and carrying weight of the SL is obviously greater than the M. I recently took my SL and M on a vacation and found good reasons to use both of them for different reasons. That said, I selected more SL photos to keep than M photos. For non-obtrusive, smaller, lighter weight photography the M is perfect. So is the Q2.  For me, the camera that produces the best overall results is the SL. We have so many great choices. That's why many of us probably have more than one Leica camera. Finally, I'll order the M11 when available.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Max EPR said:

If I use liveview to get perfect focus and compare those photos to my SL2 with an APO-Summicron-SL f/2 ASPH, the SL photos are simply noticeably sharper and to me more Leica "wow".

"Never confuse 'sharp' with 'good' - or you will end up licking razor blades, and trying to shave with an ice cream cone." - Bill Pierce, TIME (and Leica M) photographer.

;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

We are having a great discussion. Most responses have to do with the camera. The M vs the SL2. How about opinions regarding M vs SL lenses.  Watch this interview:

I should have put this Leica M Lens...sorry

Edited by Max EPR
should be in M lens

1 hour ago, Max EPR said:

We are having a great discussion. Most responses have to do with the camera.

Sure. For me the Leica M is mostly ALL about the camera and viewfinder/rangefinder. The lenses can be anything half-way decent - my pix still sell.

I agree the SL lenses are generally better performers, at least by the technical specs. Comes from being the size of soft-drink cans. ;)

See second picture: https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2016/12/leica-sl-gets-a-prime.html

The tool I want to use (camera + lens) is on the right. Actually - I want to use the tool on the right (M9) reduced in size (M10). ;)

Edited by adan

On 10/12/2021 at 3:27 PM, Max EPR said:

... the SL system is simply the best choice for the easiest and sharpest photo and with greater wide angle and telephoto usability...

Lens to lens, perhaps. But inch for inch, pound for pound, it's not even close. Unless you spend your time in a studio, are the reigning strongman champion or can afford sherpas, shooting an SL with full complement of primes is pretty much off the table.  After nearly two years with the SL2, I've concluded that no matter how great the primes might be, its really only a practical option when carrying zooms... two at most... on a good day.

Thank everyone for your comments. Leica photographers are lucky to have so many great choices. I fall in love over and over with my 3 Leica Cameras and various lenses. I appreciate each Leica camera for their unique qualities. Different Leica cameras are like different golf clubs.  You would not use a driver as a putter or a putter as a driver. Each club , just like each Leica camera, has an advantage. I look forward to seeing what the new M11 improves on while keeping its' heritage true. The new 3.0 firmware for the SL2 made this camera even more awesome. The Q2 is wildly popular for a good reason. It takes beautiful photos completely manually as well as completely automatically, and everywhere in between. Ultimately, no matter what camera we think is the best, we want Leica to have a camera for everyone. The more people that find a Leica camera they love the better it's for everyone. Obviously adding the SL's, Q's, CL's, etc. made Leica a stronger company. The Leica M is an extraordinary camera. There is nothing like it. The lens selection is incredible. That's why the people on this forum so fiercely love their M's. Me too. 

• Like 1

Leica 50mm was second to none.

For the new era, stay unique and the best of 50MP level.

1. Retro all best lenses and optimal for the 50MP sensors

2. More APO+Marco lenses, tear down the limitation of RF(with low power consumption and advanced EVF)

3. Black and white, it is unique and second to none, keep the best thing roll in the future 

4. Reasonable price offering, the return is more market share

Edited by Erato