Q2 special editions Future values

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello I’m in the market for a new or indeed used Q2 but I’m quite fussy and fastidious in my choice. I’m interested if you think the special editions, ghost, seal, reporter, Disney and not so much 007 will actually hold higher value than the standard versions ? Im fairly confident that the q2 I will end up buying will be a keeper but at the same time I’d like the reassurance that it will to some degree hold value. 
Thank you for your time and thoughts. 

Special editions are a bad idea if you plan to make this your daily carry camera. The market for someone wanted to buy a used special edition Q2 years from now would seem rather small and it will be harder to get rid off. Now if you personally love a certain design or look then buy it for that reason, for you. Not to resale because you will be disappointed. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pcgarner said:

It's hard to add to what Jaapv just said. 5 stars for his intelligent response.

I never consider resale prices when buying a camera. Being a non- pro I write it off the moment I  buy it . A pro will write it off against earnings. Any monetary benefit when -if-selling is a bonus. 

2 hours ago, Miltz said:

Special editions are a bad idea if you plan to make this your daily carry camera. The market for someone wanted to buy a used special edition Q2 years from now would seem rather small and it will be harder to get rid off. Now if you personally love a certain design or look then buy it for that reason, for you. Not to resale because you will be disappointed. 

• Like 2

Besides what jaapv mentioned, which is  quintessential for avoding buyer's remorse  you should also think about what YOU would like to use. The appearance of a Hodinkee or Reporter Q2 is very different than that of the classic one. The haptics are also slightly different. So do you want to go classic black or would like more bling bling? If you get the camera YOU like most, everything else will be a bonus. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, adrianh said:

Besides what jaapv mentioned, which is  quintessential for avoding buyer's remorse  you should also think about what YOU would like to use. The appearance of a Hodinkee or Reporter Q2 is very different than that of the classic one. The haptics are also slightly different. So do you want to go classic black or would like more bling bling? If you get the camera YOU like most, everything else will be a bonus. 

Nicely put. 

I am in Switzerland right now and have found one brand new Q2 ghost in the sale section of a Swiss camera store Zumstein. It is available in their Bern office:

https://foto-zumstein.ch/de/leica-q2-ghost-by-hodinkee-a143027

I have no affiliation with Foto Zumstein, just sharing. If you happen to be that lucky person who actually buys the Ghost after you see this post you can buy me coffee. Coffee in Switzerland is super expensive though, around 100CHF for a kilo 😄. I have paypal.

PS. They also have the Dawn by Seal one.

Edited by Al Brown

On 10/18/2023 at 12:31 PM, Shovelhands said:

Hello I’m in the market for a new or indeed used Q2 but I’m quite fussy and fastidious in my choice. I’m interested if you think the special editions, ghost, seal, reporter, Disney and not so much 007 will actually hold higher value than the standard versions ? Im fairly confident that the q2 I will end up buying will be a keeper but at the same time I’d like the reassurance that it will to some degree hold value. 
Thank you for your time and thoughts. 

FWIW. Anytime I buy  a custom fit battery powered device, I remind myself that it will only function as long as  the batteries are available. I wouldn’t be surprised if  the long term value would significantly drop once the battery were completely irreplaceable.  If you plan to upgrade (trade) before then, it doesn’t matter. 

• Thanks 1

I had a standard Q2 for a while and went back and forth as to whether I sold it or not. I bought it second hand originally and then found I made a few hundred dollars on resale. The only reason I sold it was to fund a Q2 Reporter as I liked the look and the more durable finish. I try to look after it but use it regularly as it’s such a great experience. That’s the only reason I bought a special.

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2023 at 5:58 PM, Rdf said:

FWIW. Anytime I buy  a custom fit battery powered device, I remind myself that it will only function as long as  the batteries are available. I wouldn’t be surprised if  the long term value would significantly drop once the battery were completely irreplaceable.  If you plan to upgrade (trade) before then, it doesn’t matter. 

Batteries can be refurbished. 

• Thanks 1

The special editions in the UK will likely maintain 250-800 over the standard given past performance. However different models are more popular. For example the reporter is very popular but the dawn is less so. So you need to make sure that the premium you pay over a Q2 is appropriate for the model and you are not overcharged 

Red Dot Cameras has the 007 set on offer for £10,000:

https://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/q-equipment/18865-leica-q-2-007-edition-boxed.html

A bit pricy, but the set does include a lot of extras which may [or may not] be of interest.  Other special editions, that remain as new stock, are now being discounted.  Here are two examples from Leia Store Manchester

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!