SL2-s image stabilization with adapted lenses

wolan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

on my Nikon Z I can manually enter the focal length of the adapted lens, so that the image stabilization knows what lens it is working with.

However, in the SL2-s I cannot do this, am I missing something? How can the image stabilizer operate properly if it does not know the focal length of the lens mounted?

Thank you

9 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

You can select a lens from the list that has the same focal length and IBIS is on again

When doing this just keep in mind that, at least as far as I know, other corrections like color drift and distortion correction pertaining to the chosen lens (and not necessarily good for whatever lens you're actually using) are baked into the raw file as well. So this might not in all cases be a good solution. I personally cannot understand why Leica is not just allowing the user to manually select the used focal length. Seems like pretty obvious to me :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aktenschrank said:

When doing this just keep in mind that, at least as far as I know, other corrections like color drift and distortion correction pertaining to the chosen lens (and not necessarily good for whatever lens you're actually using) are baked into the raw file as well. So this might not in all cases be a good solution. I personally cannot understand why Leica is not just allowing the user to manually select the used focal length. Seems like pretty obvious to me :)

correction are alway applied if the camera reads the 6bit coding true the Leica adapter. otherwise never, only IBIS activation 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, Photoworks said:

correction are alway applied if the camera reads the 6bit coding true the Leica adapter. otherwise never, only IBIS activation 

Based on my personal findings correction are always applied based on the chosen lens profile, no matter if the lens has a 6bit code, at least when using the 6 bit coded Leica M Adapter L (see screenshot below, lens was a Hasselblad V lens, upped the saturation a bit so that the difference is more visible)When using a dumb third party adapter the lens profile chosen is neither in EXIF, nor are any corrections applied. So bottom line, if you'd like to use IBIS on a third party lens without unmatching corrections applied, you'll have to use a third party adapter and choose the closest focal length. Anyway, I guess this is actually what you meant :) 

I should mention though that one of the drawbacks to using a third party adapter is that Auto-ISO is not functional. You're stuck with ISO 100 or you have to manually chose the ISO you'd like to use.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Aktenschrank
addition & typo correction

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2021 at 5:11 AM, Aktenschrank said:

Based on my personal findings correction are always applied based on the chosen lens profile, no matter if the lens has a 6bit code, at least when using the 6 bit coded Leica M Adapter L (see screenshot below, lens was a Hasselblad V lens, upped the saturation a bit so that the difference is more visible)When using a dumb third party adapter the lens profile chosen is neither in EXIF, nor are any corrections applied. So bottom line, if you'd like to use IBIS on a third party lens without unmatching corrections applied, you'll have to use a third party adapter and choose the closest focal length. Anyway, I guess this is actually what you meant :) 

I should mention though that one of the drawbacks to using a third party adapter is that Auto-ISO is not functional. You're stuck with ISO 100 or you have to manually chose the ISO you'd like to use.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have a third party adapter (Novoflex) and a non-leica lens. The auto ISO works fine at S and M mode but not on P and A. Any solution?

you got my point close enough .

Leica M-L adapter +6bit Lens give you corrections + IBIS. AUTO ISO

Leica M-L adapter +NO 6bit Lens + lens from list ( no difference if you pick R or M from list) give you IBIS and AUTO ISO

other adapters will never ad correction and only IBIS if you pick a Lens from the list.

P and A modes are not intended to work on this camera with M lenses, the camera has no control over aperture.

• 11 months later...
On 8/13/2021 at 3:49 PM, Aktenschrank said:

It bakes in the edge color shift correction and some minor vignetting correction but not distortion correction.

6 hours ago, luke burgess said:

Has anyone used the URTH L - M mount adapter and found that IBIS is not available? I'm using Voigtlander M mount lenses.

in the lens list, just choose any M lens that's the closest focal length to the one you're using and ibis should work

1 hour ago, luke burgess said:

@frame-it unfortunately "Stabilization" is blank and isn't an option with adapter. Is it specific to my unit or urth adapters in general?

i use the leica M adapter T, and have stab available for all M lenses

for my R lenses, i simply choose the closest M lens

same for the dozen  or so vintage M42 and other really vintage LTM lenses

22 hours ago, insomnia said:

Nevertheless it's a shame you cannot enter a focal length manually. Also I don't want corrections baked into the raw if it's for another lens. 

I agree. I presume the justification for not being able to do it is something to do with Leica preferring us to use Leica glass (understandably enough). But there are some Leica lenses which have no coded equivalents, like the M system 40mm. There are also an awful lot of interesting lenses from other manufacturers that simply have no equivalent in Leica's line-up. Being able to use them to full effect on an SLx body is a definite plus for the system, so I think that not being able to manually set the focal length for the IS is a bit of an own goal.

John

23 hours ago, insomnia said:

Nevertheless it's a shame you cannot enter a focal length manually. Also I don't want corrections baked into the raw if it's for another lens. 

you can read the previews post for more information.

When you select a lens from the list, NO correction get applied. unless you are using coded lenses and Leica adapter. 

Only IBIS is activated