Camera shake reduction + sharpening filter disappeared in the latest (22.3.0) version of Photoshop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wanted to use the camera shake reduction filter today to crisp up a scan of an old carbon copy Leica letter from 1943. To my dismay, it seems to have vanished from the latest version of Photoshop, that is 22.3.0, the version which runs natively on M1 Macs. See below screen grabs from my M1 MacBook Air (no shake reduction) and MacBook Pro, Shake reduction still there. 

Are others running M1 Macs having this problem on Photoshop. I, like many others am having crashing problems with the M1 Macs on Photoshop. I can make it crash every time by trying to increase the pixel dimensions of an image. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 hour ago, Bikie John said:

Just had a look on my Windows system. Photoshop says it is 22.3.0 and the Shake Reduction option is there and appears to open OK.

To be honest I didn't even know it was there - so thanks for the heads-up, it might come in handy!

John

Likewise. I did a fresh install of the newest version of Photoshop about three weeks ago on getting a new PC, so don't know anything about it un-installing Plugins from older versions, but 'Shake Reduction' is there, never seen it before, another miracle of technology. 

I am fairly sure this problem is limited to the new M1 processor Macs. I have just updated my Intel MacBook Pro to the latest Photoshop CS, 22.3.0 and shake reduction is still present. I posted on the Adobe Forum but sadly this forum appears to consist of 99% questions and only 1% answers, so pretty much useless. I will have to steel myself and phone Adobe for help, not a process for the short tempered or faint hearted. 

Wilson

13 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

I am fairly sure this problem is limited to the new M1 processor Macs. I have just updated my Intel MacBook Pro to the latest Photoshop CS, 22.3.0 and shake reduction is still present. I posted on the Adobe Forum but sadly this forum appears to consist of 99% questions and only 1% answers, so pretty much useless. I will have to steel myself and phone Adobe for help, not a process for the short tempered or faint hearted. 

Wilson

Beta, but maybe its the same in the final release?

see "known issues"

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop-beta/photoshop-beta-for-apple-silicon-is-here/5fb359d3ca9d527a59c4677e

Edited by frame-it

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I suspect that Adobe may have released a beta version as a regular update for M1 Macs in error. It is also crashing with monotonous regularity whenever I resize an image upwards, which is listed as a problem on the beta version. 

Wilson

for the final release version >>

Known differences and limitations

Photoshop has minor feature differences when running under the native mode and the Rosetta emulation mode. Adobe is hard at work to reduce these feature differences in future updates.

Features not available in the native mode

Refer to the below list to determine whether to open Photoshop in Native mode or open using Rosetta. 

To learn how to run Photoshop in Rosetta, see About Rosetta.

• Import, Export, and playback of embedded video layers
  • Shake Reduction filter
  • Preset Syncing
  • Share an image button / Quick Share
  • Home Screen > Shared with you and Invite to edit / Collaborative Editing features. To learn alternative ways to access files shared with you, see Access and edit shared cloud documents.
  • Opening or placing U3D formatted files
  • Starting Bridge from Photoshop menus

M1 native known issues

Issue Workaround
Plugins not available Intel-based plugins will not appear in Photoshop. Run Intel-based plugins with Photoshop on Rosetta to install and use those plugins until your plugin provider delivers Apple silicon-compatible versions.
Missing or unsupported extensions

To use extensions that rely on CEP, install and run them in Rosetta mode only. Once you launch under Rosetta, you may need to go to Window / Extensions (legacy) to open your CEP panels again.

Note: You will not see the "Open in Rosetta" option if you are right-clicking on an "alias".

If you are a developer and would like to update your plugin to work with Photoshop in native mode, see UXP for Adobe Photoshop

Issues when exporting SVG files

1. Open Photoshop using Rosetta. To learn more about Rosetta, see About Rosetta
  2. Ensure Preferences > tech preview > Optimized Export As is unchecked. 
The Photoshop engineering team is investigating this behavior.
Photoshop freezes when starting up and the splash screen displays "Loading Halide Bottlenecks..."

Update to macOS Big Sur 11.2.1.

If Photoshop continues to freeze while starting up after updating to macOS 11.2.1, create a new administrator user account. For more help, see Set up users, guests, and groups on your Mac.

Export As command produces an error “Can’t export to this location, select another location to continue.”

Remove the ‘#’ character from the folder name in the save destination path, or use the Save As command to export, or use the Rosetta emulation mode to Export.

Merge to HDR Pro workspace is too large when maximized Hide or decrease the size of the macOS Dock. See Change Dock & Menu Bar preferences on Mac
Adobe Stock purchases will take place on the Adobe Stock web site Important: Prior to making the stock purchase, ensure that you’re logged in with the same Adobe ID account in both Photoshop and the Adobe Stock website to ensure the licensed file correctly appears in your Libraries Panel. 
Multi-app workflows, such as Copy and Pasting or Editing in Photoshop from Lightroom, between native and Rosetta emulation versions of Adobe applications will not work Adobe recommends against running apps in different modes. Run both applications in the same native or emulation mode.
3D features are not optimized for native performance Adobe recommends opening Photoshop using Rosetta for 3D workflows
Black Screen when viewing a 3D document  Click the eyeball to toggle the layer's visibility

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I have reverted to running Photoshop in Rosetta until Adobe sort out the native version. Really I don't think the native version was fit for general release and should have stayed in beta longer, until more of the glitches were ironed out. 

Wilson

You double click on the Photoshop 2021 app in Finder and then on get info in the pull down menu. Once the info is open, just below copyright, you will see a tick box marked "Open in Rosetta".

Wilson

• Thanks 1