Putting External Filters onto R 19mm Version 2 lens?

Sandokan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, 

Does anyone know how to get external filters (I have the Hitech Formatt Firecrest holder) onto the R 19mm II lens? 

The Wiki tells me the following:-

• Filter (type) - Built-in turret with 4 filters: NDx1 (neutral density), yellow-green YG, orange OR, and blue (conversion filter KB12)
  • Lens hood - 12546 separate, rectangular, clip-on type, lockable

So it is a case of, does anyone know of an adaptor that clicks into the lens hood holder that will accept a screw in filter (I guess of greater than 67mm thread)? Or of anyone cutting down a lens hood and attaching a screw thread to it? 

Expect to need filters quite a bit larger than 67mm - the v.1 19mm took 82mm round filters on the front.

Part of that may have been that the v. 1 front element had a larger diameter. But you need a really big "window" in front of a 19mm to cover the extreme WA view, and prevent the filter mount showing up in the picture corners. And the further the filter is mounted in front of the lens glass (extra thickness of an adapter), the bigger diameter it will have to be.

Just looking at pictures of the Firecrest 100mm holder and its geometry (thickness of the "lips" around the opening, designed (apparently) for 2 stacked filters, etc), I'm not sure it would work at all, even pressed right up against the front of the lens with no adapter. Have you tested for vignetting by just holding the Firecrest right up tight against the front of your 19?

I have a Hasselblad 40mm C, that also lacks a threaded filter mount. I had (past tense correct - gave up as not worth the effort) to use 125mm (5 inch) Kodak gel Wratten filters to cover the (~22mm equivalent) field of view, even with the filter pressed as tight to the front of the lens as possible (hand-held, no leeway for an adapter).

My guess would be that you'd get better clearance (and save hacking up a rare and expensive Leica hood) by getting a simple ring fabricated that clamps onto/around the lens barrel with a set-screw, and has a very shallow construction (like - two sheets of shirt cardboard, or equivalent sheet metal) that can hold 4-5 inch (100-125mm) filters in between).

Something that starts out like this, with additional (as thin as possible) structure to hold Firecrest-sized filters on the front: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0141/3722/products/4.5_-Clamp-On-w_-Ring.png?v=1488494650

Edited by adan
  • Like 1

I have a Hasselblad 40mm C, that also lacks a threaded filter mount

That is surprising to me. Did not Hasselblad offer any means of fitting filters, or lens shades to their 40mm?

Edited by pico

104mm external bayonet mount. Shade or filters. Not really compatible with Cokin or the other similar filter holders (designed long before such became available). No graduated filters (unless you bought a Hassy B104 "red" or some such, knocked out the glass, and had someone install the filter type you really needed.) Except for a polarizer, mostly the same red/orange/green/yellow filters Ravi's 19mm already has built-in.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/09/fd/85/09fd85598f07c99edd72dfec943797ce.jpg

BTW - same lens and filters made by Zeiss for the Rollei SLR cameras for a while - same B104 mount. Heliopan made filters to fit - not cheap

thanks Adan. I feel a bit dumb now for not even thinking to hold the Firecrest in front to check :)  I will do that, but also thanks for the idea to search for "clamp on lens filter". Now I will go measure and knock something up - providing I do not get vignetting. 

Thanks Eric.

Danke Jørn, Deutsch ist kein Problem.

The Hitech filters do vignette on the 19mm lens. I will test to see if an ultra thin 77mm ND filter also vignettes.

For step up filters, I have discovered the Heliopan series (thanks Adan, but i bought some a few weeks ago for the Hitech) which are made of brass and not Aluminium. As such they handle better, screw on more easily and are less likely to bend out of shape. But each one costs far more than a complete series of step up filters.

Incidentally, the Zeiss 18mm lens does not vignette with Hitech-Formatt Firecrest holder and is a 58mm thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Duclos lenses makes a clamp on step ring for the 19 v2

I have the Duclos 77mm filter adapter for the R-19mm V2 and it vignettes even with the Lee Filters 100 serie wide-angle adaptor ring 77mm. Edited by Leicaiste

There are larger series of filters that go to 165mm in size which may not vignette - but then you need a suitcase to fit them into and two hands to use them. 

The simplest actions are:-

* Use screw in filters into the 77mm thread of the Duclos adaptor (all I really need is either the ND grad or a 6+ stop ND filter for water/sea/waterfall shots). (Polarizers anyway on a wide angle create weird scenes). 

* Use the Zeiss 18mm that I already have. 

* Look at alternative lenses (eg Leica 21-35; Canon FD 20-35; Nikon or Canon ultra wide angle zooms). 

• 5 years later...
On 4/29/2017 at 2:49 PM, Leicaiste said:

I have the Duclos 77mm filter adapter for the R-19mm V2 and it vignettes even with the Lee Filters 100 serie wide-angle adaptor ring 77mm.

Simmod has an 82mm filter adapter with 85mm o.d. It improves but still has silight vignetting as Ron (the owner of Simmod) told me. I probably will give it a try.

https://www.simmodlens.com/product-page/leica-r-19mm-f2-8-vii-80mm-o-d-77mm-ring

There is a pull-down menu to select the 85mm o.d. option.