The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, RF’sDelight said:

Peter Karbe states in the video: »We want to have an M lens that performs in the same manner like the SL 35«. Can’t wait to see some Leica enthusiasts comparing the IQ of these two lenses here.😎

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ah. Remember the day I said that the M10R was hard to shoot at below 1./250th and everyone answered I didn't know how to take a photos. Then two months later, there's a ton of people backing me up on this ! Well, you will see that the M is a serious contender to take the throne from the SL. We have a new king. 

2 minutes ago, Steven said:

Arghhhh Jeff, for the fifth time I didn't claim it was superior in physics. I dont have any knowledge of that chromatic I dont know what and distortions of I dont know what either. I meant that it was superior as a product. It's much more impressive TO ME than the SL. The SL is a big lens, way bigger than the competition, and it has a horrible and noise AF system which I despise. The M is a jewel, a true marvel of engineering, with a revolutionary focus distance, and yet, the image looks equal or better to my eye. I'm more in awe at the M than the SL. 

Who cares about charts ? Seriously ? People really care for charts ? Do HCB or Mccurry get an incredible street photo, or a time magazine cover portrait and say: "look at that perfect wall in the corner? there is not distortion!". No. When you look at their photos you dont see charts, you feel things. Leica makes you feel things. Watch their new "witness" campaign on YouTube. The first time you watch the video, do you see charts when seeing the photos ? or do you feel things? You feel things. 

The M 35 APO has an incredible image quality that makes you feel a lot. The IQ is stellar. Nothing I've experience before. you gotta see it to believe it. My first impression. IT might evolve. 

The M APO is a marvel for its size.  And almost as good as the SL 35 optically (MTF) according to Karbe. Only ‘far superior’ for your tastes, so that would have been easy to say.

Jeff 

48 minutes ago, knopfler1976 said:

hi Stev,

Summicron 35mm ASPH was my first lens when I bought my M9 in 2011. As I shifted to almost exclusively shooting Noctilux f/0.95 since moving to Paris, I sold cron35 promptly. But as far as I can recall, it was perfect almost in every way. I wonder how APO could do much differently from it. Definitely look forward to your review. 

Jerry

Hey Jerry, 

There won't be review, just my thoughts and impressions along the way, sorry! 

The APO is in another league from the regular cron. It pushes things so far with sharpness and microcontrast that when the light hits right, you are looking at an almost 3D image. Go on the LFI gallery, select SL2 + SL 35 APO, and you will see photos that draw exactly like that new M. It's quite unbelievable. Reminds me of the Q2 rendering as well. When the lit is right .... mamamia 

Lets shoot in Paris one day ill show it to you ! 

• Like 2

vor 1 Minute schrieb Steven:

Ah. Remember the day I said that the M10R was hard to shoot at below 1./250th and everyone answered I didn't know how to take a photos. Then two months later, there's a ton of people backing me up on this ! Well, you will see that the M is a serious contender to take the throne from the SL. We have a new king. 

And I'm just as sure that before long many will again complain that the lens would be too clinical and will praise the old lenses before APO and before ASPH.

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

The M APO is a marvel for its size.  And almost as good as the SL 35 optically (MTF) according to Karbe. Only ‘far superior’ for your tastes, so that would have been easy to say.

Jeff 

As I have stated in this forum before (and I'm pretty sure it was already addressed at you back then) everything I say here is: 

-my opinion and my opinion only

-very subjectif 

-never scientific 

-based on experience and emotions. 

My very first post in this forum was a side by side of an M and a Q.  you were the first one to answer. Can't remember what but something smart pants as usual. You have been like this (at least with me) since then. 

There is nothing I can say or do that will make you lose focus. You are too wise and mature. It's frustrating. One day I will break you concentration. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, strohscw said:

And I'm just as sure that before long many will again complain that the lens would be too clinical and will praise the old lenses before APO and before ASPH.

Wont be my case. My two main lenses at the moment are the 35 APO and the 35 steel rim. Two extremes. I have a fix of every thing, whenever I need. 

Sure, sometimes I'm after the Q2 look sometimes im not. But im happy I can have both.

Edited by Steven
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I usually chose my lens according to the mood of the place I'm in. The other day I travelled to Greece. I wanted high details in the scenic towns and brought the Q2 to get a sharp modern look. 

Last week I was in colombia, I wanted a more vintage look to document people, their old school lives, etc... I brought a Mandler lens to match my mood. They're different tools for different scenarios. 

• Like 7

After 36 hours of using the lens, a couple (negative) observations: 

- The focus throw from 0.7 to 0.3 is so long that it makes it almost unusable for moving subject. I mean that if for example a person is walking towards you at a decent pace, you can usually track that person from infinity to 0.7 by moving the ring along with him. But once the person enters the 0,7 - 0,3 ranger, the throw is so long that you need to either accelerate the rotation quickly or forget to track him. Thats even more true on an M where you also have to turn one live view and waste more time. 

Therefore, at this point, I consider the 0.3-0.7 range to be an added bonus for planned shot. A bit like the macro mode on the Q2. You know youre going to take a macro shot so you prepare for it. 

This is might be just something ou need to practise and get used too, but the throw is annoyingly long. 

- The throw is so long that you end up turning the focus ring without the tab in the 0.3-0.7 range (if you use the tab, you're hand will end up in front of the lens unless you're a contortionist). Because the aperture tab is so smooth (on my copy) and so close to the focus ring, you end up changing the aperture systematically when focus from infinity to 0.3. Annoying. again, this might just be something to get used to and practice. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

While Jono's boat is naturally bendy, I wondered about distortion, too.  Looking over the technical data sheet, it looked like the film lens sheets of olden days.  Besides the MTFs that we all gasp at, there are distortion vs radius, vignetting, and pages of depth of field charts.  No WarpRectilinear post-corrections for this dauntless APO M lens!  But look at the distortion curve, which show about -1% distortion at the top and bottom distances, correcting to 0% at the corners.  I haven't seen that shape since the fast lenses of the 1980s.  It has been known to produce moustache distortion,, where the corrections along the sides of an image waver in and out from top to bottom.  Have any of the early users checked for that?

Quite a few ‘recent’ lenses have similar distortion curves. 18 and 21 SEM, 24 Elmar, and even the 28 Summilux to a lesser extent. 

10 minutes ago, Steven said:

As I have stated in this forum before (and I'm pretty sure it was already addressed at you back then) everything I say here is: 

-my opinion and my opinion only

-very subjectif 

-never scientific 

-based on experience and emotions. 

My very first post in this forum was a side by side of an M and a Q.  you were the first one to answer. Can't remember what but something smart pants as usual. You have been like this (at least with me) since then. 

There is nothing I can say or do that will make you lose focus. You are too wise and mature. It's frustrating. One day I will break you concentration. 

You appeared to be commenting on lens performance, and objectively the SL is somewhat ahead optically on MTF..  That’s all. The rest is subjective based on size, other specific attributes, etc. Of course it’s your opinion.  You are the one that seems troubled every time I offer any opinion that doesn’t match your hyperbolic conclusions.  I’ve been using Leica M over 35 years, so I have my own reasons for support and appreciation.  

Jeff

2 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

You appeared to be commenting on lens performance, and objectively the SL is somewhat ahead optically on MTF..  That’s all. The rest is subjective based on size, other specific attributes, etc. Of course it’s your opinion.  You are the one that seems troubled every time I offer any opinion that doesn’t match your hyperbolic conclusions.  I’ve been using Leica M over 35 years, so I have my own reasons for support and appreciation.  

Jeff

Yes you trouble me I'll admit that. And yes I realise the words I used led some to believe I commented of technical stuff, this is why I clarified FIVE TIMES! across two threads. Anyway, sending you much love Jeff. 

And here's a photo of the APO between the Pre FLE and the Cron V4, for size comparison. It's on the big side. 

• Like 5

This, however, shows you the APO vs the Cron V4 (the smallest of all, I believe) both with hoods on. Impressive design achievement from the APO. 

• Like 2

This shows you the longer mount of the APO. Or is it an optical illusion ? 

5 minutes ago, Steven said:

This, however, shows you the APO vs the Cron V4 (the smallest of all, I believe) both with hoods on. Impressive design achievement from the APO. 

Just WOW! But must say the V4 in chrome is a true germ.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fisheess said:

V4 in chrome is a true germ

Because it's rare ? Because it looks good ? Because it's an amazing lens ? All of the above? I was about to sell it not to have too many 35mm. You're making me anxious.