Low contrast lenses for color negative film

raphael

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m looking for lenses that give me low contrast on color negative film. I like that popular flat look that we often see on medium format Portra 400.

Previously I was using the wonderful CV 35/1.2 III and the CV 50/1.2 on my M10. They are really great performers on both digital and film. But they are quite contrasty and do look saturated when I’m shooting Portra or Gold on my M7, even overexposed.

In general I prefer the creamier bokeh of the more modern lenses (like the CV 35/1.2) over the harsh bokeh from the CV 35/2.5 Color-Skopar or the latest Cron 35 ASPH. But if low contrast implies older lenses with harsh bokeh I’d accept that.

The CV 35/2.5 also may be a bit too slow for film. I had the CV 35/1.4 (first version) MC and SC, only difference was when shot into the sun, but they have a lot of distortion.

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Desired focal length: 35mm and 50mm
Price: up to 2,000€ used or new

Edited by raphael

Try some old LTM lenses with 39-M adapter.

Summaron 3.5/3.5cm (don't worry if it's with some haze) , Canon 2/35 (this would do), Serenar 3.2/35mm, etc.

another suggestion,

try good soft filter on your present lenses.

( if need be I use Hoya Diffuser ! )

Edited by a.noctilux

The 5cm F1.5 Summarit is my favorite. This lens will likely need a CLA to remove inner haze that builds up every 10~15 years. 

The Summar gives a "Kodachrome ASA 10" look, but is more prone to flare. Use it with a hood.

I had the Summaron 35/2.8 with Goggles for my M3, but have not shot with the F3.5. The Summaron gives the lower contrast look that you desire. The Nikkor 3.5cm F2.5 is the same basic optical formula, has higher contrast.

The older Carl Zeiss Jena or Zeiss Opton often have low contrast and muted colours.  Having a browse through 'The view through older glass' thread might throw up some lenses with a look that appeals to you.

I'm slightly confused by what you're trying to achieve in that you've chosen a particularly contrasty and colourful film stock and want to reduce its colour and contrast through lens choice.  Wouldn't it be easier to choose a different film stock that, itself, is lower in contrast with muted colours?  Unfortunately Adox Color-Implosion is no longer available but there are alternative colour reversal films such as FilmNeverDie Kīro 400 or 50D or 250D, Revelog Kolor  Revelog dubblefilm Apollo etc, Lomography Analogue Duet etc, Cinestill 50D.  They'll each give you a different look and some of the Lomo and Revelog films are deliberately frivolous but you can pick and choose what appeals to you.  Just a thought. 🙂

Pete.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't take much colour, most was lab processed so I have no idea about what was added in the scanning. When I did my own development and scanning I got the lowest contrast, least saturated look from my 50mm Summitar f2 (12 aperture bladed and single coated). This is with Portra, of a subject of a period colour palette close to the era of the lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I have the CV 35, 1.4 SC and the CV screw mount 35mm, 1.7. Both render nicely on film but the latter doesn't have the focus shift. I use the F1.7 on film and also on my M8 (monochrome only without filters) and it produces nice, low contrast images out of the camera.

Depending how for you want to go, most of the 1950s era Leica lenses have the sharp but low contrast aesthetic. My collapsible Summicron fits this bill as does my 1972 35 Summilux, just had it CLAd and the film I shot looks like it has a little more contrast. But the 35 Summarons should be what you are looking for. 50 LTM Elmars should also work.  

Thanks loads for your suggestions, guys!

I'll go through all the lenses you mentioned and see if I can find affordable offers within my reach.

I also like the idea of using my current lenses with a low-contrast filter. @a.noctilux You mentioned the Hoya filters. I've heard a lot of the Tiffen filters. Are they comparable? Do you maybe have comparison shots with and without the diffusion filter?
What I've read on the web is that those filters increase highlight bleeding into the shadows instead of increasing the dynamic range. They also seem to lower the sharpness?

4 hours ago, farnz said:

I'm slightly confused by what you're trying to achieve in that you've chosen a particularly contrasty and colourful film stock and want to reduce its colour and contrast through lens choice.  Wouldn't it be easier to choose a different film stock that, itself, is lower in contrast with muted colours?

In my understanding the Portra 400 overexposed by one stop should give those desaturated low-contrast images. Have a look at the following photographs (they're not mine), shot on Portra 400 6x7:

Also thanks for the film tips. I've shot some of them but I guess I prefer the Kodak/Fujifilm colors...

• Like 2

I’d also like to recommend the Summarit 50mm f/1.5 and Summaron 35 f/3.5.  I shoot both as a classic combo.  They have lower contrast but are really quite lovely in how they render.  I rarely shoot them in color however, but the monochrome shots with them have less punch than with modern lenses.  You can’t go wrong with either, through make sure to get a scratch-free and clean copy of the Summarit, rare as it may be. 

2 hours ago, raphael said:

In my understanding the Portra 400 overexposed by one stop should give those desaturated low-contrast images. Have a look at the following photographs (they're not mine), shot on Portra 400 6x7

One of those examples is with a Mamiya 7 and those lenses aren't considered low contrast AFAIK. I wonder if the same look is even achievable with 35mm film.

-Thomas