A New Year Wish for the M System

setuporg

2 hours ago, fotografr said:

You know, the sad thing about the way this thread is gone is I can't tell if you're joking. 😁

"...the way this thread has gone..."......?

I'm not quite sure I understand your reasoning, fotografr......:-k......

My understanding is that the whole thread was started - two months ago - as a bit of a "Tongue-in-cheek-but-with-a-basic-truth-at-heart-message" post and so that 'joking' was always to be expected at least as a part of the resulting Meander. And so it has proven to be.

As far as mujk's particular post is concerned then why not? In fact I think it forms the basis of a great idea!

There are many members here (everywhere from the 'enthusiast' side of things through to the well-heeled connoiseur) who, understandably, lovingly display their period Leicavits adorning wondrous models from Leica's rich back catalogue. In the same way that the majority of semi-pro DSLRs have a baseplate-mounted 'Battery Grip' available(*) surely a 'Leicavit'-proportioned supplementary battery would be an absolute winner?

Interesting point. Who, here, thinks a Leicavit-style 'spare backup-battery baseplate' would be a great accessory? It wouldn't be an essential purchase in much the same way that a Leicavit wasn't an essential for film cameras but, personally, whenever I take out the M Monochrom (and the M8.2 and M9-P before it) I always carry two spare batteries. Clipping on a supplementary Batt-Pack 'Leicavit' wouldn't add much size nor mass to the camera and if the pack doubled (say) the possible shooting performance in terms of frame numbers then surely that would be an attractive idea?

Phiilp.

* I still use - and have always used - them on every mid-range DSLR which I've owned).

Edited by pippy
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pippy said:

"...the way this thread has gone..."......?

I'm not quite sure I understand your reasoning, fotografr......:-k......

My reasoning is that this thread has meandered all over there place with some comments on topic and some quite far off. Serious ideas have been floated but there's also been a fair amount of science fiction. 

At this point I'm trying to envision somebody shooting with an M camera while cranking away at a Leicavit type trigger attached to a mini generator on the bottom of the camera and I can't tell if it's a serious suggestion or a joke.

Why not just carry another extra battery? Are there a lot of people here who have shot through three fully charged batteries in one day with their M? 

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, fotografr said:

Are there a lot of people here who have shot through three fully charged batteries in one day with their M? 

I can't answer that. But my experience thought me a lot about the difference between having two and three batteries. 

I clearly remember the passing of the hours when I "tried" to shoot one edition of the Iron Man 🤦‍♂️ I used my M10 + the ZM 35/28 Biogon. I started around 5ish in the morning (an hour before sunrise), and my last picture was around 10am. I remember it well because I finished my (only) two fully charged batteries. 😂 If one wants to use the LV sometimes, OMG. It's an F$%^XC battery killer. The event was ended by 11pm. I would probably have had to use four full batteries. (and knowing, less LV). I'm always integrating more and more my M10 into my work, but I need more gear—especially spare batteries for extended storytelling coverages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

28 minutes ago, Dennis said:

I can't answer that. But my experience thought me a lot about the difference between having two and three batteries. 

I clearly remember the passing of the hours when I "tried" to shoot one edition of the Iron Man 🤦‍♂️ I used my M10 + the ZM 35/28 Biogon. I started around 5ish in the morning (an hour before sunrise), and my last picture was around 10am. I remember it well because I finished my (only) two fully charged batteries. 😂 If one wants to use the LV sometimes, OMG. It's an F$%^XC battery killer. The event was ended by 11pm. I would probably have had to use four full batteries. (and knowing, less LV). I'm always integrating more and more my M10 into my work, but I need more gear—especially spare batteries for extended storytelling coverages.

My only comment is that limited number of batteries shouldn’t be the problem for scenario as described, using RF camera and 35mm lens can be well done without EVF, what was it EVF provided you couldn’t achieve with RF?  If you were using 10mm or 135mm lens I would not ask. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fotografr said:

My reasoning is that this thread has meandered all over there place with some comments on topic and some quite far off. Serious ideas have been floated but there's also been a fair amount of science fiction. 

At this point I'm trying to envision somebody shooting with an M camera while cranking away at a Leicavit type trigger attached to a mini generator on the bottom of the camera and I can't tell if it's a serious suggestion or a joke.

Why not just carry another extra battery? Are there a lot of people here who have shot through three fully charged batteries in one day with their M? 

I think a large number of ideas were floated at least partly tongue-in-cheek.

My own personal take on mujk's 'Leicavit' nomination would have seen the unit used exclusively as a supplementary battery-pack and filled accordingly with rechargeable cells thereby negating, for the majority of 'heavy-use' photographers, the need to carry a spare battery. As it happens I, myself, have needed to go to a third battery on the odd occasion when I've been away from mains power for a couple of days or not had the charger with me for some reason.

The 'rewind-knob mini-generator' was posted a bit of Sci-Fi but, then again, how many Sci-Fi ideas have ultimately seen fruition? Rockets to the moon? Boats which could navigate underwater? Pocket-sized communication devices? Portable computers?......

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dennis said:

The Leicavit battery pack seems a valid idea to me. 

For now the Nitecore ULM10 charger takes USB input. So you can shoot while one or two batteries are being charged with a normal battery pack in your bag.

Edited by fisheess
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, fisheess said:

For now the Nitecore ULM10 charger takes USB input. So you can shoot while one or two batteries are being charged with a normal battery pack in your bag.

+1. I think it’s a great idea as long as the baseplate is similar or only slightly larger than the accessory grip. I’m picturing the thickness of the GPS grip that came out for the M240. 

I would buy this. Maybe add a trap door to take out and put in the memory card. 

• Like 1

Just announced: The optional M11 Battery Pack (does not include assistant).

I guess Leica really do pay attention to these threads.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, fisheess said:

IN CASE ANYONE IS SERIOUS.....

And as some of us are aware, the Leicavit accessory is not a power pack.  (The Leicavit M Fast Winder is mounted in place of the base cover. It allows experienced photographers to shoot up to two frames per second).   It is a sequential shot device (mechanical)  for non electronic Leica camera bodies.   Nothing to do with power.

so...  first choose a new name for this new device. Leica doesnt recycle old names .   The Leicavit is still listed at the stores.

First, the xxxx would have dimensions to suit a particular body. M240, M10, etc. (not transferrable between camera models)

Second. the rechargeable cells would cost as much (or more) than current batteries. The holder would add cost to the device. 

Third.  the xxxx has to be able to connect to the circuitry of the camera.  No current Leica camera has external connection ports. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Suggestion for future bodies.  Provide connection port OR provide a dummy battery with cable to permit connection to the circuitry by an external power source. This is not a new idea and it has been implemented by other camera manufacturers.   In fact, it is likely that Leica have such a device in use at factory assembly and service locations.

Achieving connection to the camera electronics once the camera is assembled can be done this way or possibly via a concealed connector that may be hiding beneath a plate on the base. (very likely).

The xxxx device has the potential to cost up to $1000 (In the Leica world)

Cheaper to carry the overpriced and expensive Leica batteries and/or the Nitecore.

Leica could make our lives easier by arranging for sensibly priced batteries to be available in more cities worldwide.   I was caught short in a small place called Mexico City two years ago!  

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

The lever of this Leicavit could cock the shutter the same way as the advance lever of the Epson R-D1 did. Would not interest me more than a Visoflex disguised as a Leicameter but would suit well when Jurassic Park settles finally in Wetzlar :D. Just kidding.

1 hour ago, lucerne said:

IN CASE ANYONE IS SERIOUS.....

And as some of us are aware, the Leicavit accessory is not a power pack.  (The Leicavit M Fast Winder is mounted in place of the base cover. It allows experienced photographers to shoot up to two frames per second).   It is a sequential shot device (mechanical)  for non electronic Leica camera bodies.   Nothing to do with power.

so...  first choose a new name for this new device. Leica doesnt recycle old names .   The Leicavit is still listed at the stores.

First, the xxxx would have dimensions to suit a particular body. M240, M10, etc. (not transferrable between camera models)

Second. the rechargeable cells would cost as much (or more) than current batteries. The holder would add cost to the device. 

Third.  the xxxx has to be able to connect to the circuitry of the camera.  No current Leica camera has external connection ports. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Suggestion for future bodies.  Provide connection port OR provide a dummy battery with cable to permit connection to the circuitry by an external power source. This is not a new idea and it has been implemented by other camera manufacturers.   In fact, it is likely that Leica have such a device in use at factory assembly and service locations.

Achieving connection to the camera electronics once the camera is assembled can be done this way or possibly via a concealed connector that may be hiding beneath a plate on the base. (very likely).

The xxxx device has the potential to cost up to $1000 (In the Leica world)

Cheaper to carry the overpriced and expensive Leica batteries and/or the Nitecore.

Leica could make our lives easier by arranging for sensibly priced batteries to be available in more cities worldwide.   I was caught short in a small place called Mexico City two years ago!  

I do think this counts as a serious wish. This xxxx can connect to the camera via a dummy battery as you have suggested. The original bottom plate has to be removed to use the xxxx of couse. Therefore something like a battery grip from other manufacturers is possible. No change for the camera body is necessary. The disadvantage of this method is, the original battery can't be used, therefore losing some capacity.

This xxxx do have to have its own cells. I just compared, the current M10 battery is wider than the body depth. Unless we are willing to sacrefice the neat Leica look, we cannot accept a solution like other manufacturers.

I  am quite sure this won't happen for M10, or in fact, M11 either. I therefore wish Leica would bring out an original charger that's compatible with 120V/230V and 5V inputs. The heck, the input should be USB-C so that we don't need to carry an extra cable. Cars nowadays all have USB outlets, which makes the 12V input of the current charger obsolete. So it boils down to the following solution:

A charger that's compatible to all cellphone chargers with one single 5V USB-C input. As Leica charges us a premium for its products, a fast charging plug like every cellphone's should be included. No some brand's "saving the planet" s**t.

Travelling with the leica M would be taking 1. the M camera, 2. the charger, 3. x number of spare batteries, 4. a multi-output PD plug, and 5. all your other stuff.

Some edit: as we are already here, the charger should include Qi compatibility 😄

Another edit: it will just be the nitecore UL-series charger in Leica design.

Edited by fisheess
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, fisheess said:

A charger that's compatible to all cellphone chargers with one single 5V USB-C input. As Leica charges us a premium for its products, a fast charging plug like every cellphone's should be included.

Im sure we can still keep the 12v input in the new charger along with whatever USB type is in vogue at the time of manufacture

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

Im sure we can still keep the 12v input in the new charger along with whatever USB type is in vogue at the time of manufacture

But I think my solution is simpler and smaller in size. The charger itself doesn't include the 120V/240V and 12V to whatever Volts the charging needs. This reduces its size radically. An extra charging plug must be carried along anyway since we all use a smart phone. Charging through the 12V car plug can be easily solved using an generic 12V->5V transformer. 

Edited by fisheess

20 minutes ago, fisheess said:

I do think this counts as a serious wish.

Cars nowadays all have USB outlets, which makes the 12V input of the current charger obsolete. So it boils down to the following solution:

I dont think i could handle the accessories of a modern car.   My 2004 Boxster has no mapping, no parking assist and uses keys for security.  Bose radio has no USB.  Its got a sunroof, cruise control, stability control and a cigarette lighter socket. I'm planning to keep it. The difference between its value and a modern replacement is about £60000.

I do have Apple smartphone and Ipad.

Thanks for your input.  Maybe we are getting somewhere with doable suggestions.  

Edited by lucerne

1 minute ago, lucerne said:

I dont think i could handle the accessories in a modern car.   My 2004 Boxster has no mapping, no parking assist and uses keys for security.  Bose radio has no USB.  Its got a sunroof and a cigarette lighter socket. I'm planning to keep it.

Thanks for your input.  Maybe we are getting somewhere with doable suggestions.  

see my last post. Charging the Leica battery in car is just like charging the smart phone.

• Like 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I think there's plenty of room here for both.

• Like 3