Hasselblad X1DIi + 45mm F4P, the Q2 alternative?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/19/2021 at 12:20 PM, Einst_Stein said:

It does not makes sense to me to pay the Q2 but use it cropped most of time.  To crop it, X 133 makes more sense to me.

F4 is next to useless? You only shoot your camera with F2.8 or wider?

Take a look at a sensor size chart and see just how minor an APS-H crop is. On a 47mp sensor, the 35mm crop is very little loss of IQ. Put the Q2 at f/2 cropped to 35mm up against an M Summicron at f/2, and there will be very little difference. But if what you're looking for is 35mm M Summilux f/1.4 rendering/IQ then these may be the wrong systems for you to begin with.

Regarding f/4, you really should try harder to read for context. Try any lens/camera combo you have outside of a Monochrom and set it to f/4 and try shooting in a dark restaurant or bar as I qualified. The medium format cameras with the 50mp sensor like the X1D/50S/50R can barely focus in such conditions.

Edited by hdmesa

2 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Take a look at a sensor size chart and see just how minor an APS-H crop is. On a 47mp sensor, the 35mm crop is very little loss of IQ. Put the Q2 at f/2 cropped to 35mm up against an M Summicron at f/2, and there will be very little difference. But if what you're looking for is 35mm M Summilux f/1.4 rendering/IQ then these may be the wrong systems for you to begin with.

Regarding f/4, you really should try harder to read for context. Try any lens/camera combo you have outside of a Monochrom and set it to f/4 and try shooting in a dark restaurant or bar as I qualified. The medium format cameras with the 50mp sensor like the X1D/50S/50R can barely focus in such conditions.

Take my advice.  Photography needs thinking. Lets try to swap the scenario.

When In the dark restaurant, use Leica X.  
When by all meas  the sensor size really matters, use X1Dii or HxD.

The point is, every camera needs some compromise under some conditions. You have to judge by the general cases. If your general case is in the dark restaurant, then by all mean get the fastest lens with the best sensor.

Edited by Einst_Stein

Poking my head in, i see talk about shooting in low light..

ISO 3200 is very clean on the X1D II, and these are shot with the 45mm f3.2 (I do have the 4.0 now though)

You can check flickr for the exif, and there are more examples on there - I was trying out the XPAN crop mode to compose the shots (I had to reapply it in post)

X1D II - XPAN by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

X1D II - XPAN London by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

X1D II - XPAN London by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

XPAN - London by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

I had the X1D, X1D II and now have the X907 - i've had a couple of Q2 and three Q :D quite fancy the Q2M...

The Leica can focus quickly enough that I can capture a moving subject or something spontaneous, the Hasselblad requires more planning and forethought..

It's a different headspace and it's nice to change things up..

circumstance right now prevents it, but I would have both

Edited by dancook
  • Like 6

X1DII is small for medium format.  Fuji is coming up with a company medium format too.  I borrowed a 907 for a few days and loved it. 

Medium format cameras produces great images.  I love the process of taking picture with them, since they require me to slow down.  But I can't see why they are compared to Q2.

The biggest selling point of Q2, at least for me, is convenience and size.  F1.7 + OIS probably compensate more than X1DII sensor size and higher ISO. Compared to a F4 lens and no IS, we are talking about 5~6 stops.  Doubling the pixel size won't help X1DII that much.

15 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

When In the dark restaurant, use Leica X.  

Or maybe a Q2M if you really need low light capability.

18 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Put the Q2 at f/2 cropped to 35mm up against an M Summicron at f/2, and there will be very little difference

That is true.  I had both and can confirm.

While I don't use the Q2 crop function (the little button) for what it is intended, I do often leave it on 35mm frame lines, which makes it feel a bit like an M, seeing outside the frame etc.  I always shoot DNG so has the added advantage of knowing the full 28mm is there if needed.

• Like 3

X1DII just arrived, together with 21mm, 45mm, and 90mm. I really really like it.

Only the 45P feels like a M or Q, of course still bigger.  21mm and 90mm are close to SL. IQ are amazing, particularly the Hasselblad color rendering.

It will take some practice to get used to the focusing. Do not like it for now.

Glad you're enjoying the X1D II. I have two of the same lenses for the 907x (45P and 21) and am buying the third any time now. :) 

I like focusing manually with the 45P. The focus snaps in speedily and crisply, really see little point to fussing with AF. The 21 is more of the same, but the extensive DoF makes it easier to use AF. AF is and will always be for me just a convenience to use when it can work well, and nothing more.

G

In the sense that an alternative to a camera could be another camera at the same or similar price point (not necessarily my point of view, just saying), would the newly announced GFX100s also be an alternative to the Q2? It certainly is an alternative to the X1D ii 50 and I am willing to bet that it will test a lot better than the Hasselblad:)