Thumb support alternative ... 👍

Knorp

Looks like a nice alternative. 

Hello Leica, helloooo! Wake up, please!  :) 

I really understand that ramping up a camera production is no small deed. I also understand, that keeping the camera on short supply (if it would be possible to produce more) might support branding, exclusivity and staying in the awareness of the market. 

But I do really, really not understand why the heck you are not able to produce the thumbrests in a sufficient number. End of the story is, that many who would buy this "slightly" expensive, but very nice, peace of accessory, might finally buy something else, and if that solution is sufficient AND cheaper, they also might consider such alternatives more often in the future. And off it goes the brand loyalty, at least to a certain degree.

In addition, customer get the impression, especially on such a simple part, that Leica can't or, even worse, doesn't care to deliver this item. It's just stupid (sorry for the wording in this case, but I have no better). 

Edited by Daniel C.1975
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 2:07 PM, My1stLeicaCam said:

Doesn’t it obstruct the shutter dial?

An interesting aspect of the design. I have had their excellent Thumbs up on other Leica cameras and found them excellent. 
In a couple of weeks of travelling, camera with wrist strap in and out of satchel I found I accidently moved the Shutter speed dial off "A" several times.
So for me the part shielding of that dial may actually be a positive feature.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After many years of resisting a thumb support (it would poke my chest while walking around),I finally bought a MT Thumbs Up and here is something I share at this point.

It fits perfectly ( no wiggle so far).

the cushioning rubber (?) pads are barely attached/ adhered to the part. I’m afraid they might come off.

I’ve never tested the one from Leica but per photos, this one is shorter as other people also have reported. At first it felt weird but after some time, it feels good now.

Prior to this purchase, I had bought a used Q2 Hand Grip (*) and with both on the camera, handling the camera is super secure. For Q3, I feel that the thumbs up/ support is more essential than the hand grip due to those buttons on the back ( I tend to press them randomly when I remove the camera from the bag) but the hand grip keep the camera leveled on tables.

(*) Q2 Hand Grip - I chose this as opposed to the other alternatives because it was cheaper than some of the alternatives, I do not mind removing the hand grip for handling the battery and memory card, and I prefer its narrower, taller grip part. One CON is that it does not have a locating pin so unless I tighten it very hard, it wiggles a bit. Not a show stopper at this point but it started bothering me, I would get a JJC grip.

On 12/30/2023 at 11:05 AM, huwm said:

Thanks for the link! I've just ordered one too, even if I am pretty happy with the JJC thumbs grip.

I am not willing to pay for a metal piece the same price that the same company charges for a full fledged grip including "first in the industry" wireless charging.