Circular Flare with the 35 Lux

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes - but you also said:

3 hours ago, Steven said:

Type on google, Summilux 35 1.4 flare, you'll see a ton of them with the same orange ring.

If you don't include "ASPH" in your google search to limit it, you will end up seeing many pictures made with the non-ASPH version.

And those are unique to that version, so you will be disappointed if you try to get them from today's modern ASPH 35 Summiluxes.

And you may end up seeing "older lens" flare anyway, since google uses fuzzy logic.

Note that this author is very specific in ID-ing the lens used as the pre-ASPH. And it does show the orange ring. And it shows up in a search for either "Summilux 35 1.4 flare" or "Summilux 35 1.4 "ASPH" flare." But you won't get that effect from the ASPH versions.

https://talktog.wordpress.com/2014/12/15/lens-revisit-leizt-summilux-35mm-11-4-pre-asph/

So you need to apply a little brain-grease to your searches to figure out exactly what you are being shown (don't trust google to read your mind), and which 35 Summilux made the picture.

Bottom line - if you want those particular orange rings at f/1.4, you need the older 1961-1995 lens. (or the C/V Nokton copy). You won't get them from just any "35 Summilux."

Edited by adan
  • Like 1

When comparing against the Summilux 35mm, you might provide us more information which version of the 35 Lux you mean.

I'm pretty sure you don't mean the ASPHERICAL which costs 20,000 US$.

The 35 Lux ASPH. and the 35 Lux FLE do render quite different than the Nokton Classic. The Nokton Classic has a retro look with its swirly busy bokeh. It also shows a noticeable amount of barrel distortion and field curvature. The two newer Summiluxes are much better corrected and show a more modern and smoother rendering. I got told the ASPH. feels better in the hand than the FLE, but has a cheaper and ugly hood compared to the FLE.

If they're worth the extra 5k, you decide!

The 'cheap' Nokton Classic does not stop Andre Josselin from taking beautiful and moody images.
It is very well made, light, compact and has a good sharpness from f/5.6.

2 minutes ago, raphael said:

Steven, the Nokton 1.4 MC is a fun lens and if you like Josselin's style, you should go for it. He applies vignetting, probably dehaze and a decent amount of grain to his images to match the lens rendering even better.

If you are a pixel peeper, then the lens is not for you 😉

I'm not a pixel peeper at all. Im more in search of character in my images. 

I only own one lens. My 35 1.4 lux ASPH. I adore it so far. But I was thinking that I could sell it and buy instead and 50 1.4 lux + the Voigtlander ! Im just afraid to get rid of a treasure. 

Gear won't give you character. Character gives you character 😜

Which 50 Lux do you mean? The ASPH. version is an incredible lens for both film and digital. It's Peter Karbe's "lens for the desert island", but yeah, it's Peter Karbe's rendering design like the 35 Lux FLE, not everyone's cup of tea. It also renders completely different than the Nokton Classic.

You wanna sell me your 35 Lux ASPH.?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Steven said:

I'm not a pixel peeper at all. Im more in search of character in my images. 

I only own one lens. My 35 1.4 lux ASPH. I adore it so far. But I was thinking that I could sell it and buy instead and 50 1.4 lux + the Voigtlander ! Im just afraid to get rid of a treasure. 

This is my lens ! I don't even know what is. I needed a lens when I bought my M. I asked in the store what 35 they had since its my favourite focal length and they recommended this one. For all I know it could be a knock off ! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, raphael said:

Steven, the sample shots you provided us are from Andre Josselin as mentioned before.

He was using the Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm/1.4 MC (important!) most of the time. Since he became a Leica ambassador he also started using the Summilux 24mm/1.4 in the last year.
He also owns the Zeiss ZM C-Sonnar 50mm/1.5 but I haven't seen using it in the last years.

The images might show the Summilux 35mm in EXIF data because he might have set it manually in the menu to get rid of some color cast or vignetting. But you can trust me that these images are 100% from the Nokton Classic 35mm MC.

I owned both the SC and the MC version and there is a bit of a difference when shooting against the sun. The SC version drops the contrast quite a lot, also it gives orange and broader lens flares while the MC version stays contrasty and shows red flares:

Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm/1.4 SC

Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm/1.4 MC

I always questioned myself what the exact difference is, thank you so much for those sample shots and your explanations!

1 hour ago, Steven said:

This is my lens ! I don't even know what is. I needed a lens when I bought my M. I asked in the store what 35 they had since its my favourite focal length and they recommended this one. For all I know it could be a knock off ! 

That's the 35 Lux ASPH. (pre-FLE). What does make you think it's a knock-off? It's a fantastic lens for both film and digital.

Edited by raphael

3 minutes ago, raphael said:

That's the 35 Lux ASPH. (pre-FLE). What does make you think it's a knock-off? It's a fantastic lens for both film and digital.

Nope, nothing at all. Its actually my favourite 35 I've ever used across all systems. Its such a pleasure to use. 
Its just that now that you told me about that other, cheaper 35 that produces a look I like, I thought it could be an idea to sell the expensive 35 to buy the cheap 35 and add a used 50 1.4 Lux as well. 

But since 35 is my favourite focal length and the only one I would keep if I could only have one focal length, im not sure that it would be a wise move to exchange a summilux for a Voigtlander.. 

Your linked instagram profile really shows beautiful images.

If you have the opportunity to rent the lens, I'd recommend doing so before buying because it won't match your current style.

However, as you said you just went into the store and asked for a lens and then went out with a 5k lens like money is no concern (maybe you even bought the M10P on the same day 'because you asked for a camera'), why not keep the 35 Lux and just add the Nokton?

Edited by raphael

1 minute ago, raphael said:

Your linked instagram profile really shows beautiful images.

If you have the opportunity to rent the lens, I'd recommend doing so before buying because it won't match your current style.

However, as you said you just went into the store and asked for a lens and then went out with a 5k lens like money is no concern (maybe you even bought the M10P on the same day 'because you asked for a camera'), why not keep the 35 Lux and just add the Nokton?

Many thanks mate. 

Seems like not a bad idea. I might bight the Nokton on BH and return in if I really don't like it. 

Any thought on the ttartinsans 50 0.95 vs the summilux 50 1.4? You seem knowledgable on lenses ! 

4 hours ago, BJohn said:

Easy to explain, the flare comes from one specific lens: Voigtlander 35 1.4.

**EDIT**

Don't care what Google displays you, it's the Voigtlander 35 1.4 SC or MC. Famous for that particular look and those flares.

I like the flare effect at times and just got the Voigtlander SC version.  Can't wait to go put the lens through its paces.

20 minutes ago, BJohn said:

I always questioned myself what the exact difference is, thank you so much for those sample shots and your explanations!

The SC version shows a blue engraving and an orange coating.

The Nokton Classic MC on my M10. Very light and small.

2 minutes ago, Steven said:

If you had two chose between this two lens pair, which one would you pick ? 

1. Leica 35 1.4 ASPH Lux + Ttartisans 50 0.95 

or 

2. Leica 50 1.4 ASPH Lux + Voigtlander 35mm 1.4 MC

Hahaha, man, that's a tough decision!

I never tried the TT Artisan lens. The fastest 50 I have is the Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.2. It's excellent. Not as excellent as the 50 Lux ASPH., but maybe 90-95% of it. But it's as big as an SLR lens, some people don't like that, same weight though.

If you let me change 1.) to 35 Lux ASPH. + Nokton 50/1.2, I'd choose these.

If you lust for a change, nothing can hold you off the 2nd option.
Especially if you're after the lens flare. It's fun but it can get boring after time.