Q-P versus X100V

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a big believer in renting camera gear to aid in making a purchasing decision. There's nothing better than using the gear for a week in your own environment, taking the type of photos you plan to take with the gear you're thinking of purchasing. I've used lensrentals.com several times and have never had any issues with their rental gear or customer service.

I've used every Fuji X100 version but I sold the 100V because it had moved so far away from the original idea behind the camera. It's no longer simple and intuitive to use, it's complex and tries to be all things to all men. You'll soon be knee deep in menu options and frustrated at missing shots as a result. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 12:07 PM, JS2020 said:

This is a great thread. Really appreciate your updates on the experience @Tobers

I'm currently going down the path of moving from Sony mirrorless to either the X100V or possibly Q2. This will be my only camera. I want the simplicity and portability that this approach offers. I will be using it for everything, which is mainly street, travel, family and some landscapes when hiking/traveling etc. 

Q2 is within budget but would be definitely at the top end. I've never owned a Leica before either. My head says go the x100v, I can always sell and get the Q2 if I love this style camera and want what the Q offers. But my heart says the Q2 for all of the points mentioned on here.

Any thoughts?

I owned a Sony a9 and was looking for a travel camera. I bought the X100F and pre-trip I loved it for having in the car and taking silly pictures with friends at bars etc. I also enjoyed the film simulations and that hybrid EVF. Then on a lark, I decided to rent the Leica Q and after my first round with that camera, I sold my X100F and bought a Q.

For me, the quality of the pictures the Q produces has no comparison to the X100. I couldn't get over, even in sloppily taken shots, how good (exposure, autofocus) the shots were. I felt like I had a better keeper rate with the Q. I didn't like the Fuji flash (it's placement and it's use) so I never used it, and I never used the Q with a flash, so that Fuji built-in flash offered nothing for me. Plus, I wasn't as bothered by the Q's wider lens, something I thought would disturb me. Lastly, using the Q was so simple, I felt I didn't need a manual, that I could figure things out as I needed to make adjustments in the field, with the Fuji, I felt I had to carry the manual around.

As for cost, I bought a used Q and then sold it later. I didn't lose much in that transaction, so you might consider that. I now own a Q2M and I have to say the 47MP sensor is game changing for me. Makes the camera much more useful for more situations. Even if I don't travel now, lol.