Q-P versus X100V

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Tobers said:

Thanks for all the interesting discussions. I do have a 23mm for my CL as it happens, though I tend not to use it very much due to having the Q-P. I think I shall dig it out and have a play with it.

Come to think of it, I think that’s the decision right there isn’t it? I have a CL+23 and a Q-P, and I always use the Q-P. It’s a bit obvious when I put it that way.

I was thinking the same thing after your first sentence of the above quoted post. You already have something similar to X100v, but you tend not to use it.

I had the Sony RX1 and picked up the second generation (I think) x100. Tended to only use the x100 when I wanted to tinker with the OVF/EVF - which was usually when I was sitting around the house and the camera was on the desk in front of me. Replaced the RX1 with a Q and sold the X100 somewhere along the way. I also had a few ILCs before and during this process. Now I just have a Q2 and my phone.

The RX1 hooked me on the simplicity and portability of a fixed lens FF. The Q hooked me on Leica.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Leica Guy said:

I have a rider on my homeowners insurance and it’s very reasonable. I insure for full replacement value. 

That's a good way to go if you can get it.  My underwriter fled in stark terror, apparently convinced that I was trying to set them up for some sort of insurance fraud operation. 

I ended up getting coverage through ASMP.  I have replacement cost coverage but it's not bargain basement priced. 

As it turns out, peace of mind is not always cheap.  C'est la vie...

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

I have replacement cost coverage but it's not bargain basement priced. 

As it turns out, peace of mind is not always cheap.  C'est la vie...

A different point of view -- self insure.   This works if you can afford to buy a replacement even though that would emotionally hurt.   And by afford I mean the only change to your life a loss would cause is the number reported on a bank statement.  It doesn't work if you're using credit.

Anyway, to self insure put the money you would have paid for insurance into a fund.  If something happens you've whatever is in the fund to offset the price of a replacement.  If nothing happens for a long time you've saved enough to maybe pay for your next camera!

This plan may only be for optimists -- that "peace of mind" thing.

My house and car are fully insured.  My motorcycle has liability insurance, only.  My cameras are not insured.

• Like 1

My insurance coverage was purchased not to cover the loss/theft/destruction of one camera and a lens or maybe two. 

I bought my coverage with the worst case scenario in mind:  I'm not home, house catches fire and burns to the ground and I lose every camera, lens and other piece of photo equipment I own (or a tornado destroys the house and every piece of photo equipment or another disaster happens with the same result).

A few fortunate folk may be able to self insure against a lose everything event; unfortunately, I'm not in that enviable position. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

I bought my coverage with the worst case scenario in mind:  I'm not home, house catches fire and burns to the ground and I lose every camera, lens and other piece of photo equipment I own..

Another reason to have only one compact camera that you always carry with you and never leave at home: Leica Q2.

32 minutes ago, sfphoto said:

Another reason to have only one compact camera that you always carry with you and never leave at home: Leica Q2.

Well, I'm halfway there:  I have my Q2 and I don't leave home without it. 😎

I'm not willing to give up my M cameras and lenses to save on insurance costs, though.  I'm not an idle collector of M cameras/lenses, I actually use them.  Having other lenses than the Q2's 28/1.7 Summilux gives me options.  I have some images that mean a lot to me that I would not have been able to get without my 90/2 APO and my 50/1.0...

Edited by Herr Barnack

• 4 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just recently acquired a Q-P and have had several models of the X100 including the lovely X100V. After shooting with the Q, looking at the files in LR the Q-P is staying and the V will be sold. I love this camera. Its simplicity, the handling, the way it feels in my hand, and the output is simply beautiful. The best MF by wire I have ever experienced...did I say I love it? One man’s opinion, YMMV. 

Cheers, 

Paul

• Like 2

On 4/19/2020 at 4:21 PM, iRandom said:

I was thinking the same thing after your first sentence of the above quoted post. You already have something similar to X100v, but you tend not to use it.

I had the Sony RX1 and picked up the second generation (I think) x100. Tended to only use the x100 when I wanted to tinker with the OVF/EVF - which was usually when I was sitting around the house and the camera was on the desk in front of me. Replaced the RX1 with a Q and sold the X100 somewhere along the way. I also had a few ILCs before and during this process. Now I just have a Q2 and my phone.

The RX1 hooked me on the simplicity and portability of a fixed lens FF. The Q hooked me on Leica.

Very interesting. Q2 and a mobile phone upgrade is an option that I am pondering. I was already thinking along your line of reasoning just before I saw your post. I had a Sony RX1 and sold it recently to try the Q as an option vs. X100V, Sony RX2 and I am already hooked on my Leica Q, most importantly the simplicity of the UI, build robustness & quality of lens, digital crop etc. I am already familiar with two Leica Summilux lenses (12mm and 15mm) from use on my Panasonic G9 along with two other Leica pana lenses I own already (25mm and 40-150mm) and I am pretty familiar with the Fuji X and GFX systems but owning now only a medium format Fujifilm GFX 50s. I was actually thinking before I bought the Q to try it as my daily FF travel & street camera along with the medium format Fuji for landscape/nightscape/architecture/portrait and my blazing fast M 4/3 Pana G9 for video, sport, wildlife with Pana Leica lenses. I am really thinking now if I need all that setup! Could a Leica Q2 solve and simplify this and actually save me a lot in the end even if it costs a fortune to start with. I have to sleep on this really but thanks for the inspiration...

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Bit of a resurrection of this thread. I found a very good deal on a 2nd hand X100V which should be arriving in a couple of days. I’ve still got my QP and CL, so it’s going to be interesting. The X100V is suitably cheap that I won’t lose anything on it if I do decide to sell it.

I’m really looking forward to trying out the X100V. I am going to use it as my “adventure” camera, to go everywhere with me on my mountain bike, motorbike, hiking & climbing. I’m anticipating a reduction in image quality compared to the QP - I’m not blind to the lens and sensor differences.

Will report back...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My X100V has arrived. I have to say that build quality has moved up a few notches since the X00T I had a few years ago. Very very nice indeed. The buttons and dials are clicky but not quite as smooth as the QP.  The reduced set of buttons on the back is very neat, as is the very slim articulating screen. The hybrid viewfinder is excellent - though I'll likely just use it in EVF more, but it's nice to have the option.

Setup and configuration is somewhat bewildering though. This is a big difference to Leica. There are so many options, some of which only come into play is another option is set, which is confusing. For example, digital zoom (crop modes) only work if you are shooting jpeg only and cant be used if shooting RAW, which is idiotic. I've decided not to bother with some of the dials (front and rear dials particularly) as they seem superfluous. Basically I've set it up to be fairly similar in operation to my QP.

A very nice touch is the build in 4-stop ND filter. I've set that to operate on a single button which is very nice. The top dial ISO implementation is slick too, so you can see aperture, shutter speed and ISO in a glance by looking down at the camera. 

Other first impressions. Images are properly sharp. There's plenty of shallow depth of field effect at f/2. It's not quite as special as the QP at 28mm and f/1.7, but still very good indeed. It's more compact than the QP,  as the lens doesn't stick out so far and the body is overall a bit smaller. That's the gain you get from not having a full frame sensor. I really like the feel of the camera. 

I do some video (vlogs and suchlike) and the mic input and 4k will come in very useful indeed, as will the other dedicated video settings. Obviously if you don't shoot video this won't be important to you. But I will use the X100V alongside my GoPro for some more creative content.

Similarly there is a built in flash which may very occasionally come in handy.

I bought a NISI UV filter to put on the lens to make the camera fully weather resistant. Annoyingly this adds about 5mm to the lens thickness as it needs to accommodate the lens element moving in & out. But I can still use the original lens cap with it. 

Very annoyingly, my Lightroom 6 (standalone) does not read Fuji RAF files which is a PITA. And there's no way I want to end up in Adobe subscription hell. There is a converter program you can buy to switch them to DNGs that I'll have to look at, though that is $39 for a perpetual license.

More thoughts to come. But basically, if you don't mind trading a bit of bokeh and 7mm lens width for £3300 (Q2 is £4500, X100V is £1200), you'll be very happy indeed. If you're looking at a 2nd hand Q, then it's more like £2500 v £1200 for a new X100V so a bit closer, but still a large chunk of change.

Edited by Tobers
  • Like 5

On 4/15/2021 at 3:04 PM, Tobers said:

My X100V has arrived. I have to say that build quality has moved up a few notches since the X00T I had a few years ago. Very very nice indeed. The buttons and dials are clicky but not quite as smooth as the QP.  The reduced set of buttons on the back is very neat, as is the very slim articulating screen. The hybrid viewfinder is excellent - though I'll likely just use it in EVF more, but it's nice to have the option.

Setup and configuration is somewhat bewildering though. This is a big difference to Leica. There are so many options, some of which only come into play is another option is set, which is confusing. For example, digital zoom (crop modes) only work if you are shooting jpeg only and cant be used if shooting RAW, which is idiotic. I've decided not to bother with some of the dials (front and rear dials particularly) as they seem superfluous. Basically I've set it up to be fairly similar in operation to my QP.

A very nice touch is the build in 4-stop ND filter. I've set that to operate on a single button which is very nice. The top dial ISO implementation is slick too, so you can see aperture, shutter speed and ISO in a glance by looking down at the camera. 

Other first impressions. Images are properly sharp. There's plenty of shallow depth of field effect at f/2. It's not quite as special as the QP at 28mm and f/1.7, but still very good indeed. It's more compact than the QP,  as the lens doesn't stick out so far and the body is overall a bit smaller. That's the gain you get from not having a full frame sensor. I really like the feel of the camera. 

I do some video (vlogs and suchlike) and the mic input and 4k will come in very useful indeed, as will the other dedicated video settings. Obviously if you don't shoot video this won't be important to you. But I will use the X100V alongside my GoPro for some more creative content.

I bought a NISI UV filter to put on the lens to make the camera fully weather resistant. Annoyingly this adds about 5mm to the lens thickness as it needs to accommodate the lens element moving in & out. But I can still use the original lens cap with it. 

Very annoyingly, my Lightroom 6 (standalone) does not read Fuji RAF files which is a PITA. And there's no way I want to end up in Adobe subscription hell. There is a converter program you can buy to switch them to DNGs that I'll have to look at, though that is $39 for a perpetual license.

More thoughts to come. But basically, if you don't mind trading a bit of bokeh and 7mm lens width for £3300 (Q2 is £4500, X100V is £1200), you'll be very happy indeed. If you're looking at a 2nd hand Q, then it's more like £2500 v £1200 for a new X100V so a bit closer, but still a large chunk of change.

Very interesting summary and I FYI hear that the latest update for the X100v allows RAW on the digital zoom plus ND filter for video. Snapchick on YouTube did a very interesting comparison on the Q2 v X100V and the Q2 came out on top but close, interested to hear your thoughts.

On 4/15/2021 at 11:04 PM, Tobers said:

use Adobe DNG covnverter [free], and convert all the RAFS to DNG

• Like 1

Just installed the Adobe DNG converter. Nice. Works perfectly. I’ve set up Lightroom to watch a folder that the converter puts the converted images into. So all I need to do is suck the images into the converter and when I fire up LR it automatically imports them all. Nice.

Some other things about the X100V. The “Q” quick menu button is way too small. It is meant to be used frequently but it is hard to press without looking for it. I may get used to it though.

I’ve been looking into “recipes” for jpegs. This is really cool. You can do significant tweaking on jpeg sessions and store them into a custom profile. This website has been really useful: https://fujixweekly.com/fujifilm-x-trans-iv-recipes/

I’ve been carrying the X100V with me quite a lot. It’s note quite as compact as I’d like with the UV filter on the front which adds 5mm, but it is lighter and smaller than the QP. Not a huge amount in it from a depth of lens and body perspective, especially if you took the lens hood off the QP. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Latest thoughts on this. I’m up in Scotland at the moment and have been out quite a lot with the X100V. 

The main thing I am finding is the complexity of the menu structure. There are so many options it becomes very difficult to remember how to set a specific thing. There is a “Q” menu for quickly accessing some options. Trouble is it took me ages to find again how to find the way to set up the Q menu. It’s in there somewhere. This happens quite a lot with various functions - it’s just really difficult to work your way around.

Once set up how you like it, it is really lovely. I like the way they have implemented digital zoom when in OVF mode - the viewfinder’s digital overlay shows the framelines and it’s quite similar to what you’d experience with an M camera (obviously without the rengefinder), and you can see around the framelines nicely while seeing other exposure info. And as you turn the lens ring (the way I have it set up) the framelines move in to 50/70mm. Very nice.

Another thing different to Leica is that the Fuji’s dials do not have consistent “clickyness” between them. The aperture dial, shutter speed dial and exposure compensation dial each have different “weights” ie friction. And they click differently. It’s still satisfying, but I find Leicas have a very consistent “feel” comprising the friction and clickiness. It’s a small detail, but indicative of attention to detail.

I’m finding 35mm is good in some circumstances, but not so good (obviously) for landscapes. 

I left my QP at home on purpose. I’m now keen to get back to it to see if the differences I am finding are material or not. But so far, the X100V is a lot of bang for the buck. Impressive.

Avid reader of this forum, but first time poster. 

Tober - your comments about the menu of the X100 series is why I sold mine. I had the X100F. I’m now renting a Q to see if it’s something I’m going to like and so far, so good. The usability of the camera is what sets them apart. The menu in the Fuji confused and frustrated me so much that I decided it wasn’t worth my time. I was a long-time Nikon user and got used to the simplified menus and external controls. It was very intuitive. The Leica Q series takes that simplified and direct approach to the next level.

The Fuji menu system, to me, made it very, very cumbersome, which is why I sold mine.

I’m now in the market for either a Q-P or Q2.

I had an X100F and a Q2, so not exactly what you are describing but relatively close. I ended up selling the X100F and decided have the Q2 as my only camera. In retrospect it was a good decision, but having said that, this varies greatly from one photographer to the other, depending on priorities, photographic and other (as you mentioned).

The Q2 has a leg up on the Q and Q-P (and the X100 variants) being a 47mp camera. The V has that redesigned lens (no softness wide open anymore at the possible expense of loss of character) and it has the tilt screen, which I would love to have. So, it is in a sense an apples to oranges question, but in a broader context where all cameras are in competition with one another for your money, I see the point.

To make a long story short, if I were faced with your predicament I would approach it this way:

- Is money my #1 priority? if so, sell the Q in favour of the X100V, pocket the balance and spend it on your bike. If not, read on!

- Is IQ my #1 priority? If so, the Q-P, being a FF camera with a stellar lens has higher IQ than the X100V, so I would stick with it. If not, read on!

- Is pocketability my #1 priority? If so, how do I define it, in the narrow or broader sense? The X100V is truly pocketable, but the Q is not a behemoth either. Your pick here.

At the end of the day, I believe that it is up to you and your specific needs and desires, i.e. there is no right or wrong answer here. If there was, we would all end up with the same camera. If you are into street photography and being discreet is your thing, the X100V excels in that. If you shoot JPG and would use the film simulations, the same. If you shoot RAW and do PP as part of your regular workflow, the Q will probably serve you better. Last, but not least, a lot of people complain about Fuji's menu system (I am not one of them incidentally), but if you like a clutter-free, no frills menu concept, the Leica is better by a mile. As the saying goes, the best camera is the one you carry with you more. And we all tend to carry the camera we actually like / love to shoot with, capabilities / features / bells / whistles notwithstanding!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This is a great thread. Really appreciate your updates on the experience @Tobers

I'm currently going down the path of moving from Sony mirrorless to either the X100V or possibly Q2. This will be my only camera. I want the simplicity and portability that this approach offers. I will be using it for everything, which is mainly street, travel, family and some landscapes when hiking/traveling etc. 

Q2 is within budget but would be definitely at the top end. I've never owned a Leica before either. My head says go the x100v, I can always sell and get the Q2 if I love this style camera and want what the Q offers. But my heart says the Q2 for all of the points mentioned on here.

Any thoughts?