Q-P versus X100V

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm very interested in the X100V. I have a Q-P at the moment (and a CL, and a T with some lenses).

Quick back-story. A while back I bought a Fuji X100S. I absolutely loved it - a really gorgeous camera. It was my "pseudo-Leica" while I was inbetween an M9 and M240. I sold it in order to fund my M240. I really enjoyed using it, and enjoyed how compact it was. I ended up with an M10, 3 gorgeous lenses, but sold them for a new motorbike and the Leica Q-P (priorities!).

Now the X100V is out. It seems to address a lot of the issues with the X100S and later versions, including simplifying the controls, improving the lens, a nice ISO dial, and a tilt screen.

OK so it's a crop sensor, so won't have the bigger sensor loveliness of the Q-P, but it's still an extremely attractive piece of kit with what looks like very good image quality as well as decent bokeh. And above all, it is more pocketable/compact than the Q series due to the lens not sticking out so far. It seems like the Fuji image quality and lenses are getting very good these days.

There's nothing I don't like about my Q-P (other than the stupid stupid mandatory dark frame noise reduction). I'd like it to be more compact. But I could sell it and get an X100V, and have a bunch of cash spare for motorbike accessories.

Anyone else similarly tempted? I'd be interested in your logic. Obviously it would be nice to have both 🙂

I was lucky to try Q-P and X100V in the shops before closing for C-19. Just week or so before closing.

Q-P was OK overall, but my eye was in sort of discomfort for  couple of hours after Q-P's EVF (I'm bright light sensitive).

X100V is totally awesome camera, except tiny letters on display and in EVF I'm no good to read.

The bigger letters options removes distance scale from EVF and renders this camera useless to me.

I opted out both.

The EVF supposed to better with Q2.

I think that you will be disappointed. 
X100V lens has only improve at close focus distance. But overall it is still the same. 
You will miss the gorgeous look of 28mm at f/1.7. 

Q-P cropped at 35mm. Is equivalent to a 1.25x crop sensor and it will still provide you f/2.1 equivalent depth of field with 15MP, which should be more than enough. 
On the other hand, X100V with its 1.5x crop sensor will provide you f/3.0 equivalent field of view. Of course with 26MP. 

Don’t sell a Q. Except if you want to upgrade to Q2. Otherwise, you will end up buying it again. For its Summilux-Q lens alone. 
28mm f/1.7 equivalent cannot exist in APS-C world. It would require an imaginary 18mm f/1.1

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 3

As an owner of an X100F and a Q2, I say sell/trade your Q1 and get a Q2.  Other than the M10-P and M10 Monochrom, the Q2 blows everything else away IMHO.

The X100V does address some of the weaknesses of the X100F and it is smaller and a little lighter than a Q2.  However, the Q2 has a 47.8 mp 24x36mm sensor rather than a 26 mp APS-C size sensor.  That is a huge sensor upgrade - particularly if you want to make prints at some point. 

Beyond the sensor, the Q2 has many other enhancements that make it a compelling choice:  To name a few there is weather sealing, image stabilization, macro capability, and the 28mm f/1.7 Summilux lens.  Fuji does make some excellent lenses, but I would take the Q2's 28/1.7 Summilux over the Fujinon 23mm f/2.0 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

My Q2 has become my everyday carry camera.  My M4-P, M-P 240, Rollei 35 SE and X100F all are stuck in long term parking since the Q2 showed up.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

As an owner of an X100F and a Q2, I say sell/trade your Q1 and get a Q2.  Other than the M10-P and M10 Monochrom, the Q2 blows everything else away IMHO.

The X100V does address some of the weaknesses of the X100F and it is smaller and a little lighter than a Q2.  However, the Q2 has a 47.8 mp 24x36mm sensor rather than a 26 mp APS-C size sensor.  That is a huge sensor upgrade - particularly if you want to make prints at some point. 

Beyond the sensor, the Q2 has many other enhancements that make it a compelling choice:  To name a few there is weather sealing, image stabilization, macro capability, and the 28mm f/1.7 Summilux lens.  Fuji does make some excellent lenses, but I would take the Q2's 28/1.7 Summilux over the Fujinon 23mm f/2.0 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

My Q2 has become my everyday carry camera.  My M4-P, M-P 240, Rollei 35 SE and X100F all are stuck in long term parking since the Q2 showed up.

+1

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me the advantage of the X100 series is the ability to throw it in a bag or car etc and take it anywhere without worrying as much about the value of it. The X100F was a camera I almost always had with me. I'm in agreement with the other comments regarding a step down in most areas though

19 hours ago, Tobers said:

I'm very interested in the X100V. I have a Q-P at the moment (and a CL, and a T with some lenses).

Quick back-story. A while back I bought a Fuji X100S. I absolutely loved it - a really gorgeous camera. It was my "pseudo-Leica" while I was inbetween an M9 and M240. I sold it in order to fund my M240. I really enjoyed using it, and enjoyed how compact it was. I ended up with an M10, 3 gorgeous lenses, but sold them for a new motorbike and the Leica Q-P (priorities!).

Now the X100V is out. It seems to address a lot of the issues with the X100S and later versions, including simplifying the controls, improving the lens, a nice ISO dial, and a tilt screen.

OK so it's a crop sensor, so won't have the bigger sensor loveliness of the Q-P, but it's still an extremely attractive piece of kit with what looks like very good image quality as well as decent bokeh. And above all, it is more pocketable/compact than the Q series due to the lens not sticking out so far. It seems like the Fuji image quality and lenses are getting very good these days.

There's nothing I don't like about my Q-P (other than the stupid stupid mandatory dark frame noise reduction). I'd like it to be more compact. But I could sell it and get an X100V, and have a bunch of cash spare for motorbike accessories.

Anyone else similarly tempted? I'd be interested in your logic. Obviously it would be nice to have both 🙂

Forget about the Fuji.  Sell the motorbike and buy M10 + 50mm APO + Q2.  Sorted 😂

• Like 3

I’ve owned three of the Fuji X100 series camera. Each was better than the previous. I really enjoyed the cameras. The size is nice. Pocketable. I loved the optical / EVF viewfinder. Then I tried a Q. I never looked back and will not. The Q and now Q2 files are so much superior for IQ. The Summilux f/1.7 lens is magnificent. The combination along with ergonomics are perfect for me. Upgrade to a Q2 and you’ll be happier in the long run. 

• Like 4

The other thing to consider is that the UI of the Q and CL are very similar. It would be much easier going between the CL and the Q than it would be between CL and X100V. It’s just one thing less to get in the way of getting good shots.

i looked at all the stuff about the X100V when it launched and it’s a “nice” looking camera, but familiarity with the Leica UI and the superior quality of FF images would still have me looking for a Q/Q-P/Q2.

15 hours ago, shawrob said:

For me the advantage of the X100 series is the ability to throw it in a bag or car etc and take it anywhere without worrying as much about the value of it. The X100F was a camera I almost always had with me. I'm in agreement with the other comments regarding a step down in most areas though

My approach has always been to take the camera I want to take and avoid areas where strong arm robbery is a serious possibility.  If robbery is likely/probable, I will not go there. 

Better to avoid the problem than to try to address it after you are faced with it IMHO.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

My approach has always been to take the camera I want to take and avoid areas where strong arm robbery is a serious possibility.  If robbery is likely/probable, I will not go there. 

Better to avoid the problem than to try to address it after you are faced with it IMHO.

100% agree plus I insure to remove any worry of financial loss. 

• Like 2

I think that X100V is not really pocketable. Still quite big. If you really want pocketability, just buy Ricoh GR III. Nothing beats it in form factor. 
Other cameras like Q/Q2, X100 series and LX100 will require a bag or very large pocket. 

vor 22 Stunden schrieb shawrob:

I agree wit that,
the 5K or four times more for the Q2 make most of us treat her with silk gloves, even me.
However, one of my reasons to fork over 5k was that the Q2 is splash and dustproof and that is a big advantage for me.
As neither the X100 series is pocketable it is necessary to find a solution to store the camera every day while leaving the house.
Using a enough spacious and padded bag and maybe inside another camera bag just to be anal about protection wuld do the trick to have her always ready.
Here is a review of Q accessoires and particularly his solution to carry the Q/Q2 every day with him, check from 3:30 on.
i use a similar solution, either a cheap, innocent looking messenger bag or a waterproof backpack and the Q2 inside a cheapo LowePro camerbag tpo protect her.
As the guy in the above linked video, i am constantly looking for a better messenger bag to fit what i carry with me.

It would make absolutely no sense to me to buy another quality wise inferior camera because she is cheap and i can treat her with negligence.
For when want/need to take a photo/video when i don't have my Q2 with me i have my cellphone who thke surprisingly good photos.

Chris

Thanks for all the interesting discussions. I do have a 23mm for my CL as it happens, though I tend not to use it very much due to having the Q-P. I think I shall dig it out and have a play with it.

Come to think of it, I think that’s the decision right there isn’t it? I have a CL+23 and a Q-P, and I always use the Q-P. It’s a bit obvious when I put it that way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Q/Q-P/Q2 makes all 35mm equivalent lens non relevant. 

Please consider to sell your Summicron-TL 23mm and keep the change for something else. 

• Summilux-Q f/1.7 crop at 35mm crop is equivalent to a 35mm f/2.1 full frame lens with 15MP (Q) or 30MP (Q2)
  • Summicron-TL 23 is only equivalent to 35mm f/3.0 with 24MP (CL) or 16MP (TL)
  • X100V is also only equivalent to 35mm f/3.0 with 26MP

Maybe selling the Q-P and the Summicron-TL 23 to finance a Q2 will be a way better solution. 

And even better, being cropped, the 35mm crop is an almost perfect 35mm lens wide open. Something that no 35mm full frame or 23mm APS-C lenses are. 

And as a bonus, Q2 will also offer you at 50mm an equivalent of 50mm f/3.0 full frame lens with 15MP. Not far from a Summilux-TL 35mm f/1.4 mounted on the TL  : equivalent to 52mm f/2.1

Edited by nicci78

46 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Considering the cost of Leica cameras and lenses these days, insurance (AKA "robbery on the installment plan" 🙄) is a must. 

I have a rider on my homeowners insurance and it’s very reasonable. I insure for full replacement value.