S1 or S1R or SL, for Photography

Marac

Hi Marac,

I own the SL and the S1R.

For me the Panasonic brings some advantages:

• The viewfinder is much brighter. If I shoot landscape this a big help.
  • Leica has no long range teles. The higher pixel counts helps to crop.
  • The IBIS is great for none stabilised lenses.
  • The Sigma adaptor works fine with long Canon lenses.

The menue is of the Panasonic is more complex but not worse than Canon or others.

Most of the time I have both bodies with me to avoid lens changing.

Andreas

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For me there is no plus point for buying the SL today.

Think about the file sizes you really need. If 24 MP is enough then why buy the S1R? More expensive, you need bigger cards, more time needed in post processing, more time needed for backups, etc. I have the S1 for 8 months now and I shoot 100% landscape photography. Never missed the 47MP so far for my prints.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ImmerDraussen said:

Hi Marac,

I own the SL and the S1R.

For me the Panasonic brings some advantages:

• The viewfinder is much brighter. If I shoot landscape this a big help.
  • Leica has no long range teles. The higher pixel counts helps to crop.
  • The IBIS is great for none stabilised lenses.
  • The Sigma adaptor works fine with long Canon lenses.

The menue is of the Panasonic is more complex but not worse than Canon or others.

Most of the time I have both bodies with me to avoid lens changing.

Andreas

I believe this is a correct assessment, which I share. I owned the SL, but ended up with an S1R as I bought a Panasonic set (where the 1.4/50 was really what I was looking for). I thougt long and hard over which of the 2 bodies to sell, and I ended up selling the SL. The SL is perhaps more elegant and has fewer buttons, but otherwise, a lot speaks in favour of the S1R. The viewfinder is really superb. In addition to what ImmerDraussen says, I would also like to add the the autofocus is faster on the S1R. And - the Sigma adapter (which is only compatible with the SL2/S1/S1R) is much better than Novoflex. 

• Like 2

Thank you. The main thing I shoot is landscape when I can, I do a bit of people shots too.

Hmmm so the S1 is sharper, I doubt I will need 47mp but it must be nice to have, is it noticeably a lot softer than the S1? some of the images i have seen posted here from both are stunning. I'm thinking I will hang on to the CL & IR converted T and sell off all my Mamiya ZD medium format stuff (in fact its on eBay right now).

12 hours ago, Marac said:

Thank you. The main thing I shoot is landscape when I can, I do a bit of people shots too.

Hmmm so the S1 is sharper, I doubt I will need 47mp but it must be nice to have, is it noticeably a lot softer than the S1? some of the images i have seen posted here from both are stunning. I'm thinking I will hang on to the CL & IR converted T and sell off all my Mamiya ZD medium format stuff (in fact its on eBay right now).

The S1 is not sharper then the S1R, they are both sharp. The S1 doesn't have an AA filter, which every other 24mp mirrorless on the market does, apart from Leica

The S1R also doesn't have an AA filter

Additionally the S1 doesn't use PDAF (which every other mirrorless except Leica uses), so you don't get banding when pushing exposure. The negative aspect of this is that the S1 and S1R are not as good as Sony, Nikon or Canon with subject tracking

One of the fundamental reasons I chose Panny over Nikon, Canon and Sony was 1. their dedication to absolute IQ and 2. Handling

• Like 2

My order has been placed, I will have my 'used' but mint condition Lumix S1R delivered tomorrow.

Has anyone ever used the TL lenses on their Lumix? how does it work, similar to the SL where the crop mode automatically kicks in?

Really excited as I managed to keep hold of my Leica CL too.

Thanks for all your input people.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Marac said:

My order has been placed, I will have my 'used' but mint condition Lumix S1R delivered tomorrow.

Has anyone ever used the TL lenses on their Lumix? how does it work, similar to the SL where the crop mode automatically kicks in?

Really excited as I managed to keep hold of my Leica CL too.

Thanks for all your input people.

The TL lenses work very well indeed. Even in crop mode, you get 20MP on the S1R. I tested out the 2/23 and the 2.8/60. I don`t know if it is critical or not, but I updated the firmware for both lenses. I used the CL for that - on the top of my head, I don`t know how to do that using the S1R.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ivar B said:

The TL lenses work very well indeed. Even in crop mode, you get 20MP on the S1R. I tested out the 2/23 and the 2.8/60. I don`t know if it is critical or not, but I updated the firmware for both lenses. I used the CL for that - on the top of my head, I don`t know how to do that using the S1R.

Cheers Ivar, thankfully I managed to keep my CL so updating lenses will/should not be an issue.

I'm hoping my Medium format kit sells soon then I will buy the Sigma 14-24 and also the 35mm f1.2 Yummy.

Went with the S1R, arrived yesterday, took a few indoor shots. Hope to get out with it today.

One thing I noticed with the EVF, when the shutter is half pressed it seems to lose sharpness a bit but the image taken is perfect. This may of been due to LED lighting or maybe a setting is out, IBIS maybe, who knows. As it was used, I decided to do a factory defaults and start again.

The images are wonderful, I also went for the Sigma 14-24.

• Like 1