Handheld metering and far away objects

phib

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I owned the MR-4. Nice nostalgic piece, but not at all functional for me. Makes my M4 too big, has no incident metering possibility, let alone spotmetering, meter is often too old to be exact. I find it a very bad advise for someone who needs to have a far away building at the horizon well exposed. Nonsense. 

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

Spot meters can be found for reasonable money on eBay and other places. One just has to look around a bit and do one's homework because their functions vary quite a lot.

Just earlier this week I got this fairly little known spot meter, a Sekonic L-488 Digi-Spot which is a true 1 degree spot meter which also does average metering and flash metering. It isn't very big and it's also light. Here's the manual if you want to read up on how it works. It takes ordinary AA batteries, which was important for me.

I intend to use it for more 'considered' photography, like landscape and cityscape (regardless of film format) but the average metering option will come in handy sometimes so I expect to bring it with me quite a bit.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ultimately it is as you write a matter of finding out what works for you. My take on this important dictate is that in photography there is rarely one solution for everything.

Good luck

Philip

On 2/27/2020 at 9:27 PM, phib said:

It seems everyone has a different opinion how to meter so now I'm at the point that I think I just have to try things out and see what works for me :)

• Like 2

I have a Soligar spot meter, nice bought it in the late '70s early 80's still works, takes a 9 volt battery. Has a Kodak battery in it so it is been there for 20 years or so. The only issue is the case is a rubberized and has turned to gump. Worth a look, prices on Eb*y are $49 - $349, they are all 30 years old or so.

This is a nice explanation of metering with a spot meter with the grey scale in mind seen on his web page here

I have a lightweight Minolta Spot Meter F or something. I like it. If I want an idea of what an incident meter would read, I point the spot at my palm and open up an extra stop (I'm caucasian)

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

Decades ago I learned to meter off a tarmac road, gives you a greycard reading.

But it should also be remembered that metering from anything is about reflectance, as in '18% reflectance' of the thing you are pointing your meter at, not its tone or colour. Which is why green grass is a standard recommendation, followed perhaps in less pc times by the palm of a Caucasian hand, but it's still an accurate measure. I wonder if there are any newer recommendations more universally applicable?

On 2/26/2020 at 5:41 PM, 250swb said:

Generally speaking spot readings for 35mm are a total waste of time because they require copious notes and each frame to be developed differently, not something that is practical for 36 exposures.

Correct. Meter the grass near you, if in the same illumination. That's all you need!