Vonsdca

Voigtlander 35mm Ultron: 3D print focus tab?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The focus post is a pain. It unscrews for removal which means one should be able to screw in a focus tab. I asked Gandy at Cameraquest who suggested someone could 3D print one. Does anyone here have expertise with doing so?

I’m shocked some enterprising individual in China isn’t already selling one on eBay.....

Welcome to the forum :). A focus tab would be welcome indeed. As an aside, could you tell where you found this square vented hood? My LH-4N and LH-12 look different.

I have printer(s), CAD and knowledge, but I don’t have the lens:(, but if I’ll get one, i can easily do it. Unless someone lives “nearby” and can lend me a copy? I’ll promise to send free samples back. 

On 12/22/2019 at 11:26 AM, Vonsdca said:

The focus post is a pain. It unscrews for removal which means one should be able to screw in a focus tab.

As a different approach, you used to be able to buy self-adhesive lens tabs on the 'online auction site'.  I bought a couple of these black plastic tabs a few years ago and stuck them on with industrial strength double-sided tape, which worked very well and was virtually invisible.  As far as I remember there were 2 or 3 sizes of tab available to suit the different diameters of lenses. 

Pete.

Edited by farnz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is an image I grabbed from the web as my son is en route to Bali with the lens. I bought it after a number of people I know were burgled. My wife made a trip back home and I sent three LHSA lenses and my watch back with her. Not only was I concerned about the theft but the humidity that is covering my things with mold. I wanted a lens that I didn’t have to be paranoid about; that I could take to the beach and on roads with talcum dust. I got it for $550, used and mint from Cameraquest, which is a tenth the price of a lens it it replacing. That being said, I’d love the muscle memory focusing and ergonomics that a tab provides. I didn’t get the 35mm 1.4 because the Ultron F2 is supposed to be a lot sharper.

I’ve ordered the 7 artisans sticky tab and the Taab ring but also a 35mm summicron V4 tab to see if it’s possible to use the post hole to screw it in. Does anyone know if Voigtlander uses the same size thread as Leica?

7 hours ago, Vonsdca said:

I wish I knew you were here. Is that an MD?

Hi Vonsdca it is m10-D indees

it’s a great all around lens, give it some time with the focus tab 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By haikos
      Hello everyone,
      I have a question about the dimensions of the Leica 11310 lens with the (square) hood mounted, I think the model is 12524 and/or 12526. 
      Currently, I use a Biogon 2/35 which I love but sometimes I find the lens protrusion from camera body quite long. The lens alone protrudes 1.75" from the camera body; with the UV filter and hood mounted, it protrudes to 2.4375" (7/16) from the camera body which is fine in some situations but unwieldy in others. The hood and UV filter are used to protect from bumps.
      I had the chance to mount an 11310 to my camera which seems to protrude about an inch from the body but at the time the vendor did not have the hood so I had no way of even guesstimating where it would end up.
      Can anyone who has this lens + hood combo provide a measurement?
    • By pehle
      Hallo zusammen,
      ich hoffe ihr könnt mir bei folgendem Problem weiterhelfen:
      Ich habe eine Leica SL und habe mir nun das Voigtländer 35mm 1.4 gekauft inklusive dem Leica M-Adapter L.
      Leider wird an meiner Kamera angezeigt, es sein ein "Kommunikationsfehler Objektiv" vorliegend. Die SL hat das neustes Betriebssystem installiert, ich habe die Profile durchprobiert und in den Einstellungen verschiedenste Punkte probiert. Als ein kleiner Hinweis, die SL, der Adapter und das Objektiv sind alles Originalwaren. Gibt es jemanden unter euch, der ein ähnliches Problem hatte und kann mir dabei helfen?  

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Al Brown
      Please share your opinion - if you have used or owned both lenses or any opinion on the topic. Mostly interested in comparison of render, sharpness, bokeh, pop etc. according to you - digital sensor or film.

Early reports indicated the Hexanons were inferior. According to LHSA "some Hexanon early samples were reported to have focusing discrepancies, long since resolved, and that adversely affected initial sales. The current consensus: Konica KM and Leica M lenses, even those with longer focal lengths and wider apertures, can be used interchangeably on both cameras without problems." Lots of posts ot the tiny flange difference between the cameras, but here we discuss the lens.

Mr. Rockwell even went as far as comparing the build of Summicron 50 (V) to the Hexanon-M 50 side by side and they indeed look almost identical. Check the pic on his webpage under the Hexanon topic.
      I have recently acquired a Hexanon-M 50/2 (photographed below on my M) and it is a stellar performer, slightly better wide open (especially corners) compared to Summicron M 50/2 (IV) in all the tests I did.
      YMMV.