Cursing in church? 3rd party ink cartridges for the Canon Pro-1000

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everybody

So I've run out of ink in my beloved Pro-1000 and as this is the first set of cartridges to run out for me I am wondering about third-party ink cartridges.

Here in the Netherlands there are a few places that sell them, such as 123inkt.nl. I used their third-party cartridges without problems in my previous printer, an Epson R1900, but I realise the Pro-1000 is a different animal and that the inks are quite different too.

As I'm not sure about going the third-party route with the Pro-1000 I wanted to check with other users of this model regarding how they have approached this issue.

Thank you very kindly in advance.
Philip

• Like 2

I buy my Canon iPF Pro-1000 cartridges from a brick and mortar camera store.  It is the last camera store in my city.  Buying retail-price cartridges from them is part of my contribution to keep them in business; and I can get them immediately should I run out unexpectedly.

• Like 2

Thank you very much Z. Yes I am prepared to do that to. But I am still curious about third-party cartridges, also because they contain more ink than the Canon ones. Perhaps I am the only one considering this though.

On 11/6/2019 at 2:28 PM, zeitz said:

I buy my Canon iPF Pro-1000 cartridges from a brick and mortar camera store.  It is the last camera store in my city.  Buying retail-price cartridges from them is part of my contribution to keep them in business; and I can get them immediately should I run out unexpectedly.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wasted a year, some time ago, trying to save money by printing with bulk replaceable inks.  Could never get the colours right.  Now only use the (very) expensive Epson proprietary inks defined for the printer.

The inks are robbery but at least i get a print i want within 2 attempts...i still have to do a proof, just like the dark-room days.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, zeitz said:

Wow.  My local dealer, who I'm trying to keep in business, stocks those ink cartridges.

I can order them in, but the cost is very high. The printer is no longer supported over here, and I don't want to waste more money on it vs replacement.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Up until the last year or so I always paid the extortionate price for Canon cartridges for my Pixma Pro 100 in the belief that third-party inks would cause problems.  That was until I read about LCL inks and decided they were worth a try.  Am now on my third set, with another just ordered.  Have not experienced any issues with them.  £28 as opposed to £93...

• Thanks 1

Hoi Jaqueline

I'm sorry I missed your message. I have recently bought Canon's own inks because I was very dissatisfied with the results with the inks from 123inkt.nl. They are generally fine for non-critical results, but there is a bit of solarisation on the prints plus the colours are not as accurate as the Canon inks.

I did consider inks from Precision Color (https://precisioncolors.com/Pro1000.html) but they are quite frank in saying that they have not been able to reproduce the blue, yellow and red inks and the chroma optimiser.

As tempting as it may feel to get a lot more ink for a lot less, for me (I hasten to add), it is not worth it in the long run. So over the last several weeks I've been doing my best to empty the printer by printing and printing and printing and printing. I say that because even though the printer says that the inks are empty, and has said so for a long while, they are not. It has to do, I believe, with the fact that the printer uses internal tanks into which the ink is pushed from the cartridges and this reserve will also need to be emptied.

Once the printer is as empty as it can be I will install the Canon inks. Unless Precision or another non-OEM ink maker comes up with proper replacements for all cartridges I will stick with with Canon's.

Best

Philip

On 12/25/2020 at 3:34 PM, Jacqueline de Groot said:

Hi Philip, 

also based in the Netherlands and owner of a Pro-1000 I would like to know your experience on using 123Ink in this machine.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

jacqueline 

Hi Philip,

Thank you so much for your reply. My husband ordered the 123Inkts. So far we replaced CO + GY. What followed was a leak of CO. :( I decided, also after reading your comment, to return rest of the (untouched) inks tomorrow and from now on stick to the original Canon ones as well.

Thanks again and have a prosperous and healthy 2021!

Jacqueline 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jacqueline

I'm sorry about the leak. I hope that didn't cause trouble with the printer. Directly upon opening the 123ink cartridges I noticed that they are of inferior quality. The plastic casing seems a lot thinner and they also don't click into place as well as the Canon ones. I had to push in a few of mine several times before they would remain in place.  

Best

Philip

On 12/27/2020 at 9:38 PM, Jacqueline de Groot said:

Hi Philip,

Thank you so much for your reply. My husband ordered the 123Inkts. So far we replaced CO + GY. What followed was a leak of CO. :( I decided, also after reading your comment, to return rest of the (untouched) inks tomorrow and from now on stick to the original Canon ones as well.

Thanks again and have a prosperous and healthy 2021!

Jacqueline 

• 5 weeks later...

Long story short.

It is possible to refill with third party professional ink, BUT reset chips are not longer supported, so be sure to turn off ink level sensors, and refill when needed evaluating ink level by weight. If using third party ink and not branded paper straight out of factory (most of the common papers are made not by the brands that sell paper) then consider making corrections and new icc profiles for absolutely best results. Chroma optimizer is easy, just buy genuine 700ml and refill when needed, also don't use it on matte media (as it won't have bronzing 99% of time). Is it worth the hassle? Depending on your needs, but if you want to keep 95% of original quality (with custom profiles maybe even closer to genuine combination of inks/paper) for fraction of price then yes it is. Also you can have less inks wasted by planning your printing ahead and printing some "unclog prints" for example when you are on vacation you can schedule that with qimage. Then you may want not to print many big prints at once, as less residue will build up on printing head as it is depends on temperature. Also try to turn off some of cleaning processes if you print alot (do not remember now what exactly it was called in driver). All these steps may decrese you costs 2-4 times dependind on ink availability, prices and frequency of printing. Remember Canon pro 1000 is prosumer device, if you keep right pace and add some trickery it will reward you with good printing costs.