3rd party batteries for Leica M240

Jakobben

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I'm considering getting an extra battery for my M240. I have only had the camera in a couple of weeks, and have not had a need for it yet, but I am considering it for when I'm on vacation.

Like all other Leica stuff the price is fairly significant, so I'd like to ask you lovely people if you know anything about some 3rd party batteries for the M? I haven't been able to find anything yet. I use 3rd party batteries for my Fuji's, and they actually hold a better charge than the Fuji batteries, so I have nothing against using 3rd party stuff.

Thanks!

Hey if you ask me don't even bother buying a second battery, I bought one and haven't used it yet. did a photoshoot documentary during 5 days 876 shots the battery was still 20% !!! save money and just turn of preview. BTW I occasionally used LV :D

Maybe a different answer if one is shooting video.

Simple answer: There are no third party batteries on the market, nor chargers, or at least were up until a month ago. I always take three batteries with me on the road (one in the camera, one in the bag and one in the charger) but this time two would have sufficed. My experience with third party batteries is dismal. Only Leica originals for me. Compared to a lens or body the price difference is peanuts.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

Or if you are human and might occasionally forget to turn the camera off before putting it in a bag perhaps. The likelihood of accidental flattening is in direct proportion to the importance of your next shots ;)

I haven't done it yet in about 3000 frames with the M (typ 240) but that's because I DID get spare batteries.

Even if there were third party batteries available, why would you risk your expensive M240 by using a cheap battery, where the standards of manufacture and safety are completely unknown. For the M8/9, the charging indicators on third party batteries, often did not work properly.

A lithium battery is a highly energetic device, hence recent regulation changes about sending them by post and by air. Just think of the recent problems Boeing had with their Dreamliner (sorted I hope as I am on one in a few weeks out to India). I have also posted before, my son had a third party lithium rechargeable 2CR5 battery go on fire in an old digital Canon. The battery totally melted. If that happens with your M240, you can expect no help or sympathy from Leica, as you will have invalidated your warranty.

Not taking a spare battery on any trip is a silly risk, especially if you are using live view and the GPS on the MF grip, all of which use additional mAH. BTW Luigi at Leicatime makes very nice little leather cases, which hold an M240 battery and a couple of spare SD cards. These fix on to your strap with a Velcro flap, so easily removable when you don’t need it. It is not a great idea to carry a bare spare battery in your pocket with metal coins, as that could result in a very painful visit to hospital when it shorts out and again, goes on fire.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

To add to the Dreamliner problems, my new Outlander delivery was held up two months because Mitsubishi had problems with the battery pack overheating and had to stop production.

Not instead of the Jaguar I hope Jaap :o

Wilson

When I went to pick up my brand new M, about 6 months ago, I asked my dealer for a spare battery, as I have always done, when picking up a new camera. He replied, that he would be happy to sell me an extra battery, but only if I was absolutely sure that I would use it regularly, since these batteries dont like, not being used. They will slowly loose their ability to hold power.He also said that with this new battery, it was very unlikely that I would need it. Now, 16.000 frames later, I have to say , he was right. Not once, have I ever needed the spare. I have whole days of shooting and at the end of the day , sometimes the battery is low - but I never hit flat. I have decided to live happily without and save the money.

I suppose there could be good valid reasons to get a spare. Like traveling in remote locations, or if you are the forgetful type. I f you shoot very regularly, you could have two batteries in rotation.

However, I would NEVER use 3rd party batteries in my M. These batteries are very advanced. It is playing with fire and voiding your warranty. Simply never worth the little you might save.

When I went to pick up my brand new M, about 6 months ago, I asked my dealer for a spare battery [...] Now, 16,000 frames later, I have to say [...] I ever needed the spare.

You fired 16,000 frames in six months and never needed a spare battery!? :eek:

Wow. That's ... unusual. I have my M for six months now, too, and fired hardly half as many frames as you did. Still, I did need a spare, occasionally (okay: rarely—but that's still more often than never). Of course, your dealer is right when he says a rechargable battery mustn't lie around unused. But that's no problem—simply use a battery until it's low, then switch to the other battery and recharge the empty one at the next opportunity. So two batteries will take turns and be both used on a regular basis.

I like to carry always one more battery than I reasonably expect to use in one day. By the way, with memory cards it's just the same ... ;)

• Like 1

You fired 16,000 frames in six months and never needed a spare battery!? :eek:

Wow. That's ... unusual. I have my M for six months now, too, and fired hardly half as many frames as you did. Still, I did need a spare, occasionally (okay: rarely—but that's still more often than never). Of course, your dealer is right when he says a rechargable battery mustn't lie around unused. But that's no problem—simply use a battery until it's low, then switch to the other battery and recharge the empty one at the next opportunity. So two batteries will take turns and be both used on a regular basis.

I like to carry always one more battery than I reasonably expect to use in one day. By the way, with memory cards it's just the same ... ;)

Much better approach IMO than not having a spare. You've been lucky.

Jeff

I used to have two or three spares in rotation. It used to be nessasary for 50% of my shooting outings on my old camera. And perhaps I might have to buy a spare, should I travel to somewhere remote where power is scarce or suddenly starting to use the EWF a lot more than I do currently. But since I havent needed it ever, (with entire days of shooting many hundreds of frames), my idea is, for those few times it could happen, I will live with the risk. That is because Im so fed up with dragging around spare-this and extra-that. Im going to take some time of together with my wife and spend a month in Berlin, mid january to mid february, where I plan to be doing a lot of out door shooting. It will be interesting to see if my philosophy will hold up in the german winter. I will let you know - but so far - here in the danish winter we are fine.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm curious to know whether there are now any third-party batteries available for the M240. I took a quick look on eBay and didn't see any. Also, I really dislike the argument that goes something like, "You paid $X for a camera, $Y is a relatively small price, so you should pay it too." Buying a Leica M isn't always an indication that the purchaser has any great great or income. I got one because I really enjoy using it to make photos and was willing to endure some financial constraints to have one.

What I do think is a more reasonable point is to say, "You spent $X on a camera, so you should spend $Y on insurance." And some people seem to think that's what buying an OEM battery is, in a way. However, I've never heard of someone frying an M8 or M9 by using aftermarket batteries, so it seems like a highly unlikely outcome.

• Like 1

Maybe a different answer if one is shooting video.

Or using the EVF for shooting with an ultra wide angle.

A Leica battery only costs $160, that is not a lot of money for something of such utility.

I'm curious to know whether there are now any third-party batteries available for the M240. I took a quick look on eBay and didn't see any. Also, I really dislike the argument that goes something like, "You paid $X for a camera, $Y is a relatively small price, so you should pay it too." Buying a Leica M isn't always an indication that the purchaser has any great great or income. I got one because I really enjoy using it to make photos and was willing to endure some financial constraints to have one.

There appears to be no 3rd party options for the M240.

Also, don't assume that just because someone says that $160 is not a lot of money, that they are wealthy. I have chosen owning a Leica camera over owning a car. (which is not such a big deal in a big city full of transport options though)

I've never used 3rd party batteries with Leica, but my experience trying them with other cameras has not been too good. I've often had them fail (reach a point where they would not charge or fail to hold a, charge) much faster than OEM.

I've never used 3rd party batteries with Leica, but my experience trying them with other cameras has not been too good. I've often had them fail (reach a point where they would not charge or fail to hold a, charge) much faster than OEM.

I don't doubt that they'll have shortcomings. But if they're available for 10-20% the cost of an OEM battery, I would think it probably worth it.

[...] What I do think is a more reasonable point is to say, "You spent $X on a camera, so you should spend $Y on insurance." And some people seem to think that's what buying an OEM battery is, in a way. However, I've never heard of someone frying an M8 or M9 by using aftermarket batteries, so it seems like a highly unlikely outcome.

Nobody has fried their camera with a counterfeit battery, but they have wasted a lot of time dealing with them. My experience is that most (all I have tried) second-party batteries just do not work. Using one is a dice-throw. Some people claim that through time-consuming gymnastics they can make crap counterfeits work. Silly stuff, a waste of time.

Edited by pico

Truth is, Leica batteries are better, nobody disagrees on that. Truth also that owning as Leica does not mean you can always afford to run it. I bought all my Leica's while I was working but now am not.

I use some 3rd party batts for my M8's and M9. Simple necessity is to completely discharge it before recharging. After recharging, insert in camera (shows low battery), switch off and then on again. Now it works OK with a full charge.

This is not gymnastics, but rather economic sense.

Risky? That's the definition of life. :cool:

BTW, I would not use 3rd party batts without owning genuine one's as well.

Edited by erl