Sigma fp – World's smallest & lightest mirrorless full frame camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Got impatient waiting for inventory of handgrip HG-11 to hit stores... the camera is much nicer in the hand with a bump in the front.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Alan Friedman said:

Got impatient waiting for inventory of handgrip HG-11 to hit stores... the camera is much nicer in the hand with a bump in the front.

Looks nice! Who is making this grip? 

8 hours ago, Alan Friedman said:

Nice - I plan to do the same - rummaging in the workshop for a suitable piece of hardwood.

13 hours ago, Alan Friedman said:

Very nice setup! Can I ask you how you find the image quality with the 35mm Summicron ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, helged said:

Looks nice! Who is making this grip? 

Thanks... This is a homemade hand grip. 

6 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Nice - I plan to do the same - rummaging in the workshop for a suitable piece of hardwood.

I think you'll enjoy the project. If I did it again (and I might) I would use aluminum for the side panel and marry a piece of hardwood for the front. The hole to attach to the threads on the camera is quite close to the edge and cutting down a threaded insert to hold the strap lug is a bit of a project. Would be easier and stronger to machine a piece of aluminum, I think. 

2 hours ago, doublep said:

Very nice setup! Can I ask you how you find the image quality with the 35mm Summicron ?

I have only done one actual shoot with the camera and I used a 60mm macro-elmarit-R for that project (which I like very much - examples posted to the image thread). In tests, the 35 summicron-M seems to work similarly on this camera as on the Leica SL, with some light fall-off in the corners - I expect the images will be good. It is a perfect form factor for a small body like this. Taking it with me on travels this week so hope to have some additional real world experience shortly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Still no stock at B&H of the small handgrip hg-11, so I am back in the shop working on version two of a homemade solution... this one from some scrap 1/8 sheet aluminum and rosewood. I also found an old tripod knurled knob that is tapped on the reverse side for 1/4x20, which will be a nice attachment piece and save me from having to add a second threaded hole for the strap lug. More to follow when it's finished.

• Like 3

vor 22 Stunden schrieb Alan Friedman:

Did you intend to add a link or photo?

Its the Sigma viewfinder Lvf-11. They have the photos and I can see it mounted in Steve Huffˋs review, but no one is mentioning the specifications, thats why I asked. Maybe its enough to know that it is very huge...

10 minutes ago, brunner said:

Its the Sigma viewfinder Lvf-11. They have the photos and I can see it mounted in Steve Huffˋs review, but no one is mentioning the specifications, thats why I asked. Maybe its enough to know that it is very huge...

It was your calling it 'tiny' that confused me.

Yes - it's huge! I want a tiny one.

Edited by LocalHero1953

I use a Hoodman loupe on the Ricoh M mount. This one (LVF-11) has the same dimensions more or less. Such a loupe works fine, but it works in one direction only.  The Leica Visoflex for the M10 can be rotated, so you can make frog perspective photos. The Visoflex solution is much better.

I bought the monster VF just to have it though it is intended more for videography than photography. It works well and is lightweight, but makes for a much larger form factor for the FP. I am actually enjoying using the rear screen for composition and focusing. It is harder in bright daylight. It is interesting for portraiture as you can engage differently with the subject - not unlike using a Rolleiflex TLR. In fact, some sort of collapsing screen like on the Rolleiflex might be a thought. 

I expect (hope) other more compact solutions for an EVF will surface. 

• Like 1

It is indeed of substantial size - lower left in the photo - with a volume of approx. 2.5x of the camera and I wonder how to handle both together. You can compare with the finder's base plate, which has the dimensions of the camera.

• Like 1

"It is indeed of substantial size - lower left in the photo - with a volume of approx. 2.5x of the camera and I wonder how to handle both together. You can compare with the finder's base plate, which has the dimensions of the camera."

Of course is it big. But it is one unit with he camera, fixed with a screw. Works excellent, I suppose. It helps to compose with the LCD in daylight, that is the only advantage. Besides it is relatively expensive. 

Isn´t there an smartphone app, that can receive the picture from the sensor by wlan? That would not directly help in daylight, of course. But some company could design an EVF for these data.

Edited by jankap

5 hours ago, jankap said:

"It is indeed of substantial size - lower left in the photo - with a volume of approx. 2.5x of the camera and I wonder how to handle both together. You can compare with the finder's base plate, which has the dimensions of the camera."

Of course is it big. But it is one unit with he camera, fixed with a screw. Works excellent, I suppose. It helps to compose with the LCD in daylight, that is the only advantage. Besides it is relatively expensive. 

Isn´t there an smartphone app, that can receive the picture from the sensor by wlan? That would not directly help in daylight, of course. But some company could design an EVF for these data.

The viewfinder is very nicely implemented... more suitable for a mounted shoot in photo or cine mode, but a handy accessory to own, I felt and reasonably priced for the quality - 3/4 the cost of the Leica M-L lens adapter. As it comes out of the box, the Sigma FP is a very light and compact platform for M lenses and works nicely also with the lighter R lenses. I don't own any of the SL auto-focus lenses but I would think the advantages of the FP began to fade as the lens grows in size and weight. 

To my mind, what would make the FP a killer would be a bright OLED rear screen. 

• Like 1