Sigma fp – World's smallest & lightest mirrorless full frame camera

Hi Paul,

The viewfinder feels like a large bright EVF. Whilst it obviously makes the camera much larger, with the small handle it is really comfortable to hold to the eye and the whole set-up feels sturdy.

The viewfinder incorporates buttons to replicate those blocked on the back of the camera. 

The downsides are that you are unlikely to take it off in the field once it is on and you start shooting, and it doesn’t flip down if you need to use the touch screen.

I was in 2 minds but am glad I got it. Time will tell how much use it gets as it rather contradicts the rationale for buying a small camera...

Best regards

Andrew

• Like 2

How is it when using M lenses ?  Problems at the edges and corners with critical wide angles ? Or just fine ?

With a M 28mm Elmarit lens it would be a really small FF combo for travel...   Or with a WATE and maybe a small external finder (from Zeiss) using zone focus. With the small handgrip it is about the size of a Fuji camera, but with FF sensor.   https://gadgets.ndtv.com/cameras/news/sigma-fp-camera-launch-full-frame-sensor-worlds-smallest-mirrorless-camera-2068568

For video I just found this. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bKai6Vfz4H8     And here a comparison with the M240, but no word about M lens performance.  I am more interested in using it for stills than for video. Any tests/experiences ?   

For longer sessions in studio there is an accessory to connect to mains power via usb. No need to worry too much about battery life.

Edited by caissa

I will be using it for video, fixed on a tripod initially for full-stage theatrical/musical recording, so will start with my remaining M lenses: Summilux 35FLE, Summicron 50AA and Summicron 75 AA. I made the mistake for selling my Elmarit 28mm Asph (when I sold my M240), which would make it pocketable. I have a Summaron 35mm f/2.8, but that is too 'characterful' for regular use. I may have to buy it* again.

Edit: I mean the Elmarit 28mm

Edited by LocalHero1953

10 hours ago, digitalfx said:

fp just arrived and with Leica SL 35mm Summicron attached the camera locks up. Have to pull battery to restart. Not functional on fp, I guess we are waiting on FW?

Good news is M lens with Leica M- Adapter L work fine

Can you be more specific ?  Does the M adapter work fully and give lens info to camera ? And which M lenses did you try ? Any wide-angles ?    And how is resolution/quality in corners/at borders ?      (The general “works fine” without details is not really very helpful.)

Edited by caissa

On 10/28/2019 at 5:29 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

I will be using it for video, fixed on a tripod initially for full-stage theatrical/musical recording, so will start with my remaining M lenses: Summilux 35FLE, Summicron 50AA and Summicron 75 AA. I made the mistake for selling my Elmarit 28mm Asph (when I sold my M240), which would make it pocketable. I have a Summaron 35mm f/2.8, but that is too 'characterful' for regular use. I may have to buy it again.

What do you mean by characterful ? I thought the Summaron was very sharp and more or less without distortion and also with excellent contrast ?!   (Just as good as the modern lenses, only slower.)

Edited by caissa

4 hours ago, caissa said:

What do you mean by characterful ? I thought the Summaron was very sharp and more or less without distortion and also with excellent contrast ?!   (Just as good as the modern lenses, only slower.)

A bit lower contrast, a bit of flare to highlights wide open that takes away a bit of 'bite', though still sharp. I like it as a tiny lens but it bears no comparison to, say, the Summilux-M 35 FLE, which I also have. I bought it as a small '50mm' to use with my TL2, but have not used it that much.

Seeing the experience of others on this forum, I have looked to see if mine is fogged, but can see no sign of it. Nevertheless, as so many others praise this lens for the qualities I don't see, I might send it off for CLA.