Leica T camera and Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 AF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1) Plan to buy a used Leica T camera, and I also buy an L-mount Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 lens, will Autofocus work?

2) If (1) will work, since I have many Canon EF lenses, if I buy a Sigma MC-21 or Viltrox EF-L Adapter, will AF work?  

3) I heard Leica T camera's auto-focus is not very good, but if I only use it for still objects and photo only, just how bad is it, is it really working?

Thank you so much!

5 hours ago, Ren Shi said:

1) Plan to buy a used Leica T camera, and I also buy an L-mount Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 lens, will Autofocus work?

2) If (1) will work, since I have many Canon EF lenses, if I buy a Sigma MC-21 or Viltrox EF-L Adapter, will AF work?  

3) I heard Leica T camera's auto-focus is not very good, but if I only use it for still objects and photo only, just how bad is it, is it really working?

Thank you so much!

The Sigma 18-50 should be fine.

No, sorry, the MC-21 does not work on the Aps-c bodies.

You may have some luck with the Commlite Adaptor, not sure about the Viltrox but I've only tried on the later CL.

If you want AF, stick to L mount lenses, Leica or other brands. APS-C or FF, both work. I use the Panasonic Lumix 20-60mm on my TL2. Of course then it is 30-90mm equivalent.

For alternatives, I would suggest using a manual prime. I happen to have a lot of M and R lenses, so I mostly use the M primes and R lens zoom lenses. Working with manual lenses is fine on the T as long as you use magnification aid and do not rely on the inaccurate focus peaking feature. Focus peaking is not good for critical focus on any mirrorless camera.

If you have other nice manual primes from Zeiss, Nikon, Canon... you can use all of them with a simple adapter. Either in A or in M  mode. Obviously the diaphragm can not be set electronically, so all other modes will not work.

Having owned the original T, then the TL2 and now the CL, personally have settled on using Leica original TL aps-c zooms.

My own experience with the TL/TL2 was that the visoflex was a necessity and using full frame with the 1.5x factor was an inconvenience and limitation given M primes didn’t go wider than 18mm or 27mm in aps-c terms for landscapes. Perhaps street photos don’t have that issue but that wasn’t my subject matter.