Sigma fp – World's smallest & lightest mirrorless full frame camera

It appears to me to be designed to be mostly used as a cinema camera, with the option of being a stills camera, though somewhat reluctantly.  I'll have to reserve further comments until it's released, and in use for a while.

PF

Mmmm, I don't quite get it either.

Beside lack of viewfinder (dealbreaker) i don't like cameras too small or too light...hard to hold.  Something of substance suits me better...oh yes, that's why i like my M-P(240), and my other "substantial" cameras too.

Edited by david strachan

That's right, you will always find someone to complain about the size of any camera. We all have different needs and requirements.

To put things in context, I don't think that this Sigma is meant to be used as your only camera. It does however complement the SL rather well. You can use it as a "B" cam for video, and it can make a nice light travel kit with a few M lenses, or even just one.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Ha ha ha 😂

some complained about S1 & S1R being way too big. (It is)

and some complaining about FP being way too small (it is) 

What we need is a middle ground. Such as a QL 😉

S1/S1R way too big?  I guess it would depend upon your personal anatomy, but in that regard, the SL, with very similar dimensions, would qualify as "way too big."  And with the SL and Panasonic lenses being rather large themselves, a small body would not balance very well.  To wit, I own a Sony A7RIII and several GM lenses which qualify as "large."  I cannot comfortably shoot with that camera unless the battery grip is attached because the body is too small.  

For many of us, the SL, S1/S1R body dimensions are just right, and provide a balanced platform for their corresponding lenses.

• Like 2

I guess the M lenses would be more at home on a small body, such as the bodies for which they'd been designed, M Cameras.  Unfortunately, the new Sigma does not appear to have an EVF.  But while I had sold my M lenses by the time I'd switched to the S1R, I had used them on my no longer owned SL.  Admittedly, they looked a tad odd hanging off the front of the large body, but there was no balance issue.

Size is a relative factor.  What may seem large to a person with small hands might be just right for someone with larger hands.  And while I wouldn't classify my hands as overly large, I find the S1R 's ergonomics to be perfect.  Could it be a little less weighty ... yes, but I've grown accustomed to the weight as have other adopters.

Edited by ron777
grammar
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, david strachan said:

Mmmm, I don't quite get it either.

i don't like cameras too small or too light...hard to hold.

For me, carrying a back pack, volume of a camera becomes a consideration. My hands like the size of my film Ms and even the M240, but when trekking, a small light full frame camera which takes M lenses and has a viewfinder would be a winner. I'm still holding out for a full frame module for my Ricoh GXR  :-)

On that theme, has Leica thought of a Carbon fibre M? Aluminium would work, or even aluminum for use in the States.

Pete

• Like 2

I am not sure I get the sense of the direction of this conversation 

Surely everyone is different (height, size of hands etc) has different needs, preferences and uses for a camera

Some will love small and light, others will prefer big and sturdy

• Thanks 1

Yes, I also think price will be important for this camera. With all that you will have to add to make it do what you want I hope the price will not be too bad, it "could be" something big for Sigma only time will tell. I still have all my M lenses that I use on a Sony A7s and it would be nice to use them on the fp.

I think CameraSize has probably got the image a little too big in their comparison, but in terms of size it’s still not a huge advantage over the CL

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Of course, the CL is only APS-C and not full frame but it would be interesting to see how big a difference there is in images between the two.  If it’s marginal or non-existent and one isn’t after the higher focus isolation of full frame, the CL does have the advantage of much more compact lenses.

• Like 2

I'm happy Andreas keeps us informed about these kinds of products. After all this is the Other L-Mount products forum.

The replies in this thread make clear to me that people mainly think about stills. This is not a CL, T or what have you competitor just because it's in the same ballpark, size-wise.

• Like 3

Will it overheat ?  

Making a high performance video centric camera in a small body has tripped up others, when they just can’t remove the heat from the sensor and processor.

How will it be with rolling shutter ?

I see no mention of a global shutter, which would have been a big deal, so it must be progressive.

How will it play with < 50mm M lenses ?