Avoiding strap ring scratches?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All Peak Design straps have metal. There is metal on the backside of the Anchor Link connector. This metal constantly bumps up against the camera body as soon as I remove the tension from the strap or wrist strap. I really wish the designers would cover this with a small piece of adhesive plastic. I've considered gaff tape, but the roll I have is 25 years old and is now a gooey mess. 

The current Cuff and Leash both have metal adjustment mechanisms, but not near as big and heavy as the slide. I use both with my Q.

Leica's "Leather neckstrap with protection flap for M- and X-cameras" (part# 18776) is made of nicer leather than that of the strap included with the Q2.  I bought one for my Q2 and also use with my Fujifilm X100F--I love it.  UPstrap also makes very nice stuff, though not entirely metal free.

On 3/20/2019 at 1:36 PM, iRandom said:

All Peak Design straps have metal.

You are correct!   I hadn't noticed that the spring piece is made from a light metal.  In any case I've never worried about it marking or otherwise damaging my camera.

Thanks for everyone's input on this topic. The variety of solutions (some 'home-made', such as the 'O' ring) surprises me because it seems that camera strap designers have not thought out the product to the degree they should, given that $5,000 cameras, and more, could be dangling from their product AND shoved into a camera bag with their product.  I checked out the Artisan & Artist strap (2 of them) and it appears there's significant metal at the camera end that attaches to the camera. Currently, I purchased the PD Leash and the Cuff. So far, the only non-metal camera-end of a strap that I've seen is Peak Design. However, many of their straps have sizable metal clasps.  The Leash has a smaller clasp, and I'll see how that goes.  In addition, I ordered the Peak Design Capture Clip V3, which if it works as well as YouTube videos show, might be a partial answer--partial only because for very long walks, sometimes I would want the camera in an easily-accessible bag (hence the problem with metal buckles).  And that's another problem: theft-proof camera straps and bags that have easily cut straps.  Some bags, like PacSafe, have lightweight aircraft cable inside the strap.  I wish the designers of camera bags would consider creating bags not so easily slash/grabbed.  I'm amazed at the lack of security on these products considering the extreme value of some of the contents.  I go to China often, and can be around many people, particularly those pesky electric bikes that come up behind you, making for a quick and easy slash/grab.  But this type of theft can occur anywhere.

By the way, I never noticed the metal on the PD connector.  Egad!  I may check out that suggested Leica strap.

Thanks, folks!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica strap. All elements are plastic.No chance to scratch the camera

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, sbarrenos said:

I used one for over three years on my Q1, and the plastic 'cuffs' left noticeable wear marks.

I've been using Street Straps for about a decade and Peak design Leash for about three years. I don't do anything special, just fit them and use the camera with strap. The camera is jammed into bags and such all the time. 

Not a single mark has been left on any of my cameras. 

On 3/25/2019 at 9:34 AM, iQ2 said:

The Arte de Mano half cases automatically protect the camera from scratches from metal rings on straps. In 3+ years I’ve never even thought it a concern. 

They're quite Handsome cases too.

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2019 at 1:47 PM, NW67 said:

Im currently using the strap that came with the Q2......works perfectly and will continue to work perfectly until my arte de mano arrives

Me too. And it’s already marking the camera, with very light use.  Quite clear that an alternative is needed to prevent significant wearing of the camera body.  It’s otherwise a perfectly adequate strap, but poor design in this regard.  Odd they get this part of the design so wrong.

In my opinion the best solution is:

Good leather strap (eg. Gariz) with two circular leather discs.

http://www.gariz.pl/produkty/pasek-wykonany-z-naturalnej-skory-w-kolorze-czarnym-z-czerwonymi-szwami/

with replaced metal rings by triangle metal rings, like this

https://www.ebay.pl/itm/Nikon-Genuine-Triangle-Metal-Ring-for-Camera-Strap-1-piece-from-Japan-NEW/264088043385?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

In my opinion non-rotating triangle rings are a far better than the circular.

Regards,

Edited by maxtor

I have never used the provided neck strap because of the metallic rings... I prefer using wrist strap and my wrist strap of choice has been a Nintendo Wii remote control wrist-strap. The market is flooded by imitations but the original one is really strong, doesn't have any metallic parts and has served me technically for a year now and I could not be happier... I have been using that on all 3 Qs that I have used and it has left no scratches whatsoever on their bodies.

Edited by zampelis

On 3/17/2019 at 6:31 PM, perilrobot said:

@jwillyf Nope, I didn't get anything like that with the camera's included strap. Something like that would definitely resolve the issue, though. I can also see that some straps include leather discs... so that might be the solution I'm looking for.

here is some cost effective leather protectors

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camera-Protection-Pads-for-1901-Leather-Straps-Stereo-Black/322319215641?hash=item4b0bb8ec19:g:NRQAAOSwQKdcfCfW

2 minutes ago, greene881 said:

I didn't realize that we were allowed to type "cost effective" on this board. 😀 Seriously, a nice fix. Thanks!

• Like 2

On 3/24/2019 at 2:08 PM, sbarrenos said:

This is what I am using from a Dlux 2 and love the simple design.