Avoiding strap ring scratches?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm trying to choose a new strap option for my Leica Q that doesn't scratch the surface of the camera. I've been using the strap that came with the camera, which I really like all around (length/design), but the rings slowly create scratches on the camera. I'm looking for something simple/minimalist like the included strap, but without that issue. (I don't actually care that much about this personally, but presumably, the next owner of my camera might care more.)

Is there something easy I can do to make the included strap *not* scratch the camera? 

Otherwise, is the only solution a strap that has some flap that protects the camera, like this? https://leicastoremiami.com/collections/straps/products/arte-di-mano-120cm-extra-long-comodo-neck-strap-barenia-tan?variant=1225988784

The Street Strap is what I've used on most light, compact cameras for years. Simple, elegant, comfortable, and almost literally cannot touch the camera body because of the way the strap ends are fitted to the split rings. They're reasonably priced, made of soft, pliable nylon, and I've not yet worn one out in over a decade of using them. If you put a strap on and leave it there nearly all the time, this is what I'd recommend. 

Lately, I've been using the Peak Design Leash on cameras that I might want to take the strap off and on frequently, like my CL and R6.2, in order to use them on tripod, copy stand, and other fixtures without having the strap in the way. It's a lot more technical a piece than the Street Strap but does an equally good job.

• Like 1

Metal on camera straps is a real pet peeve. I have a Peak strap with metal clasps. I generally carry my camera in a shoulder bag, and whenever I put the camera in the bag I have to do all kinds of things, that take time, to put the camera in with the strap, and keep the metal away from the camera body. Seems like straps should not have metal on them. And with a beautiful camera, I don't want to put a bunch of 'gaffer' tape over the metal.  With the Q2  (waiting for it), I'm going to a wrist leash by Peak. No metal, and it seems very secure. I'm also going to try the Peak Capture V3. I really have not found a strap I like, Black Rapid, Peak, any.

5 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Harry Benz makes straps that do not require the leather protector pads while still protecting the camera from scratches:   https://www.harrybenz.com/shop

that's the claim, and the leather is great, but my Harry Benz strap still caused wear on my m10 (not that I'm bothered about it)

8 hours ago, tnturnerx1 said:

Metal on camera straps is a real pet peeve. I have a Peak strap with metal clasps. I generally carry my camera in a shoulder bag, and whenever I put the camera in the bag I have to do all kinds of things, that take time, to put the camera in with the strap, and keep the metal away from the camera body. Seems like straps should not have metal on them. And with a beautiful camera, I don't want to put a bunch of 'gaffer' tape over the metal.  With the Q2  (waiting for it), I'm going to a wrist leash by Peak. No metal, and it seems very secure. I'm also going to try the Peak Capture V3. I really have not found a strap I like, Black Rapid, Peak, any.

Peak Design straps use the same metal-free design as the wrist leash. I use them for all my cameras.

Both Leica a-la-carte straps and Leicatime straps use leather camera protectors to prevent the rings to come into contact with the camera.

• Like 1

Here is my solution to avoid marks on my M10 bodies, quick releases system from Peak Design. It also allows me to very quickly and easily change from a Gordy leather wrist strap to a neck strap.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I use O-ring for protection...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jaapv said:

Peak Design straps use the same metal-free design as the wrist leash. I use them for all my cameras.

Both Leica a-la-carte straps and Leicatime straps use leather camera protectors to prevent the rings to come into contact with the camera.

The Peak Design straps have the same metal-free design at the CAMERA end, and it's a good design.  The metal I refer to is the metal on the strap itself, which when placed in a camera bag along with the camera, could scratch the camera if the metal clasps are not someone placed in a position to keep it away from the camera body.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tnturnerx1 said:

The Peak Design straps have the same metal-free design at the CAMERA end, and it's a good design.  The metal I refer to is the metal on the strap itself, which when placed in a camera bag along with the camera, could scratch the camera if the metal clasps are not someone placed in a position to keep it away from the camera body.

I like their adjustable strap but it makes me wonder why they just didn't coat the metal with some rubber. At least that would prevent scratches. Getting that close to my M240 (which i no longer own) was a no-go. Just an accident waiting to happen in my opinion 😅.

Have you looked at the Artisan & Artist adjustable strap (the ACAM-25ER seems pretty slim)? They have another size i think.

It's similar, made of nylon but it's metal-free. Thinking about that for my Q2 personally. Maybe that helps me figure out what length of strap i prefer finally heh.

Edited by kyriacos

Anything rubbing on anything will wear each other out...eventually.

It matters not whether a leather disc or a nylon cord rubbing on metal, ...made by Leica or not. The most effective solution I know was a plastic pad above the eyelets...M6/7 style. Better yet would be user replaceable when worn, ...but of course not.

A simple solution is an O-ring around the eyelet or a stick-on silicone pad/bump [widely available even in lowly hardware stores].

Edited by Frankie
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 6:38 PM, perilrobot said:

I'm trying to choose a new strap option for my Leica Q that doesn't scratch the surface of the camera. I've been using the strap that came with the camera, which I really like all around (length/design), but the rings slowly create scratches on the camera. I'm looking for something simple/minimalist like the included strap, but without that issue. (I don't actually care that much about this personally, but presumably, the next owner of my camera might care more.)

Is there something easy I can do to make the included strap *not* scratch the camera? 

Otherwise, is the only solution a strap that has some flap that protects the camera, like this? https://leicastoremiami.com/collections/straps/products/arte-di-mano-120cm-extra-long-comodo-neck-strap-barenia-tan?variant=1225988784

I have a "late" Q (2nd half of 2018), with the standard black leather strap, maybe the connection is different: a small "ring" of 1cm diameter. It is practically impossible for that ring to touch the surface of the camera???

Edited by LexS

On 3/18/2019 at 2:16 PM, tnturnerx1 said:

The PD Leash does not use the metal adjustment buckle that their strap (the Slide) does.   I use the Cuff with my Q and the Leash with my M.

Edit: I've got the original versions of both.  I understand there has been a re-design.

Edited by marchyman