Avoiding strap ring scratches?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/20/2019 at 2:13 AM, Frankie said:

Anything rubbing on anything will wear each other out...eventually.

It matters not whether a leather disc or a nylon cord rubbing on metal, ...made by Leica or not. The most effective solution I know was a plastic pad above the eyelets...M6/7 style. Better yet would be user replaceable when worn, ...but of course not.

A simple solution is an O-ring around the eyelet or a stick-on silicone pad/bump [widely available even in lowly hardware stores].

This is true.  I thought I was completely safe from rubbing with the strap in my picture here, because it has the leather pads between the metal ring and the camera.  However, to my surprise after a couple of days the other leather (higher in the strap) was already leaving faint rub marks on the chrome.  I thought maybe just oil from the leather but they didn't come off with rubbing alcohol and look like polished wear marks (albeit very faint since I caught it early).

My conclusion is we need something around the actual lugs (eg Leather 'washer' or rubber o-ring / washer) AND some protective tape on the side of the top plate where marks could appear.  On mine now is black electrical tape but you can't see it in the photo, in fact you can't see it at all in real life either .

My silver Chrome and Titan M's have the same black electrical tape now but I plan to do the same thing in transparent - either car protector tape or a screen-protector cut to the appropriate size.

I was really surprised that any rubbing material , even leather , can seemingly leave this trace marks . no wonder it's so common on Leica   

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

15 hours ago, prio said:

Hey Bud,

How did you feed the PD quick release disc lanyard through the camera’s eyelets? I’ve tried and tried with no success. I am about to install split rings which is going to scratch my Q2.

thanks

prio

Hi Piro.

I was able to thread the newer version of the PD QR because they use a thinner cable than the older ones. I compressed the end of the loop of cable with needle nose pliers and then fit it into the eyelet on the camera. It was a bit tedious, but once you get a little bit of the loop in the eyelet, I pulled it though with the pliers. After doing that I discovered that the female end of the PD strap rubbed agains the camera body. I didn't like that because it would eventually mar the body.

I found these triangle shaped e-rings with a plastic protector on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H1YZ5X7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These work great because the plastic is less abrasive then the cable itself. So far so good,.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

Edited by budjames

On 3/18/2019 at 4:53 AM, budjames said:

Here is my solution to avoid marks on my M10 bodies, quick releases system from Peak Design. It also allows me to very quickly and easily change from a Gordy leather wrist strap to a neck strap.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

I just started a thread on this, but figured I would ask here. How on earth did you get the PD anchors through the Leica lugs?! I cannot figure out how to make them fit. Thanks!

3 hours ago, KateStarr said:

I just started a thread on this, but figured I would ask here. How on earth did you get the PD anchors through the Leica lugs?! I cannot figure out how to make them fit. Thanks!

Hi Kate,

Very difficult to explain it without pics but I will try. I will follow up tomorrow with pics.

01. cut a 24-36” piece of 10lbs. (Thin) monofilament fishing line.

02. feed a single strand of line through the front of the lug. Feed half of the length of the line and fold it back on itself and squeeze the end to a sharp V shaped bend. Note- I fed my line from front of the camera back.

03. now feed the pd loop through the end of the fishing line that is free and not fed through the lug. Run the PD to the V shaped bended end.

04. Now feed the free end of the fishing line through the back of the lug… back of the camera forward.

05. Now you have the 2 strands of line fed through lug. Pull the excess fishing line until the PD line is at the lug.

06. Grab a pen or pencil and wrap the 2 ends of the fishing line around the center of the pen 3-4 times. Now u have a T- handle to pull with extreme pressure without cutting your hand.

07. Now grab the pen (t-handle) and center it feeding the line in between your fingers and apply pressure!!! It will magically come through the lug.

DISCLAIMER- If this makes no sense… it’s Friday night and I’m on my 3rd single malt.

cheers,

prio

I am finding this thread interesting and amusing. Interesting because of the ingenuity of some of the solutions and amusing because on another thread on this forum people are talking about using very fine sandpaper to effect wear on the black paint M cameras so they show brassing. It's what once was called antique faking. In both cases I see the love of the Leica camera which we all share.  I would ask both those who want the camera to show no use and those who want to fake lots of use - have you forgotten that this is but a tool created to record an image, not unlike a hoe is to chop up the soil.

I try to take good care of my cameras, but my concern is how can I make more expressive images.  It's all harmless fun and keeps us off the streets and out of our spouses hair. 

George