Avoiding strap ring scratches?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/17/2019 at 3:05 PM, sbarrenos said:

Best strap I have ever had. Not the most elegant, but the most practical

CORREA LEICA ESTRECHA P/M Y R (14312)

Totally agree - had those on my M cameras (what they shipped with) and I got one for the Q and just moved it to the Q2.  Best strap hands down.

• 3 months later...

Here is another option:  https://www.vi-vante.com/camerastraps/sheetline/rope/aqua-blue   It's also available in silver/gray and black if the blue is not your cup of tea.

I just got one of these for my Q2.  Once it finally arrives, it will be wearing this strap. 

Vi Vante has many different straps to choose from - some made of leather, some made of synthetic  rope. They make some nice products imho.

Edited by Herr Barnack

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 5:53 AM, budjames said:

Here is my solution to avoid marks on my M10 bodies, quick releases system from Peak Design. It also allows me to very quickly and easily change from a Gordy leather wrist strap to a neck strap.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

How did you get the Peak ends through the hole on your M10? I tried to do that on my Q2 and had to use the metal rings supplied by Peak....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, rbookman said:

How did you get the Peak ends through the hole on your M10? I tried to do that on my Q2 and had to use the metal rings supplied by Peak....

I was able to get them started in the hole and then pull through with very fine point needle noses pliers. However, since I made the post you are referring to, I have since started using the split rings with leather protector to give a little more length to the set up. I found that the clip on the strap that attaches to the PD round connector was rubbing the body. By adding the split ring, the PD round connector clears the body. See attached photos..

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

17 hours ago, rbookman said:

Just fitted this week Peak ends to a Q-P I have just bought... using the previously mentioned on here dental floss trick,  and pulling them though quite easily. 

In the days when I used a Digilux 2, I bought a LCD rear screen protector, cut two small rectangular pieces from it, and attached these directly above the eyelets on the body so that they would play the same role as the plastic anti-scuff pads on my M camera.

Previous post posted in error, sorry. Can’t delete it.

I thought that the new split rings from PD were a great idea and started using them on my new CL (and my old Q) for which I bought a set of new PD connectors. However I found that they came a little too close to the body for comfort and have stopped using them.

The pull through method of attaching the clips works for me although I think that PD have made their connector cords slightly thicker than the old ones. 

Tim

Edited by Tim B

I am the owner of the Vi Vante brand and saw the web traffic from this post and thought I'd chime in. I'm an enthusiast and Leica shooter just like you all are. I make products specifically for Leica cameras. When I design my straps I know it's of top priority to my customers that they don't mark up their cameras and hold up. I use thick Nappa leather for the side protection, that is not split seam or pleather.

In addition I have developed a quick release system that doesn't look like a ping pong racket with dental floss. It's not currently for sale yet, but will sell it under the stipulation the customer has a half case, that is the only way to protect against rubbing with these. It consists of a Titanium ring for the body and a very special micro clip. This clip goes through the eye of the side protection and clips on to our electroplated key rings on the strap. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/2/2019 at 9:13 PM, Scott997 said:

I am the owner of the Vi Vante brand and saw the web traffic from this post and thought I'd chime in. I'm an enthusiast and Leica shooter just like you all are. I make products specifically for Leica cameras. When I design my straps I know it's of top priority to my customers that they don't mark up their cameras and hold up. I use thick Nappa leather for the side protection, that is not split seam or pleather.

In addition I have developed a quick release system that doesn't look like a ping pong racket with dental floss. It's not currently for sale yet, but will sell it under the stipulation the customer has a half case, that is the only way to protect against rubbing with these. It consists of a Titanium ring for the body and a very special micro clip. This clip goes through the eye of the side protection and clips on to our electroplated key rings on the strap. 

• Like 2

COOPH ‘Leica Rope’ straps (100 cm & 120mm) include supposedly protective leather disks (~20 mm diameter). I found them only partially protective, so I had my shoe repairman cut larger ones (~25 mm dia). I also protect my Q2M with an inexpensive, leather Chinese half-case that includes a built-in, comfortable handgrip (roughly $US 89 on eBay).

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2019 at 5:53 AM, budjames said:

Here is my solution to avoid marks on my M10 bodies, quick releases system from Peak Design. It also allows me to very quickly and easily change from a Gordy leather wrist strap to a neck strap.

Regards,
Bud James

Hey Bud,

How did you feed the PD quick release disc lanyard through the camera’s eyelets? I’ve tried and tried with no success. I am about to install split rings which is going to scratch my Q2.

thanks

prio

PD changed the thickness of the cord on the little disks ... earlier ones lighter and will barely fit ... no way on the new ones ... seems they

got caught out with failures on the originals ...

Yes, I read a story/post detailing the failures with the lighter thread after I posted here. I have wet and lubricated the thread and have tried various tools to feed it and there is no way. So frustrating because that damn camera makes me obsess on keeping her out of harms way. 

so meanwhile, I installed the arca plate included with the PD travel tripod and attached two of the QR disc to that and sling the Q2 crossbody style. I haven’t tested it across my ecosystem (tripod, fluid head, slider) yet but will evaluate over the next couple of days.

1 hour ago, prio said:

Yes, I read a story/post detailing the failures with the lighter thread after I posted here. I have wet and lubricated the thread and have tried various tools to feed it and there is no way. So frustrating because that damn camera makes me obsess on keeping her out of harms way. 

so meanwhile, I installed the arca plate included with the PD travel tripod and attached two of the QR disc to that and sling the Q2 crossbody style. I haven’t tested it across my ecosystem (tripod, fluid head, slider) yet but will evaluate over the next couple of days.

Fishing line is your friend to feed it through. Easy solution if you have some. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Marc B-C said:

Fishing line is your friend to feed it through. Easy solution if you have some. 

Hmmm… makes perfect sense! I will give that try.

cheers!

p

2 hours ago, docmoore said:

PD changed the thickness of the cord on the little disks ... earlier ones lighter and will barely fit ... no way on the new ones ... seems they

got caught out with failures on the originals ...