How to do this or that on SL

grahamhoey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure if this topic exists elsewhere but I haven’t found it. On the CL forum it is very useful. 

Moderator if it does exist feel free to merge. 

My current question is can the SL not show both the horizon line and focus peaking at the same time. Am I missing something. Seems crazy if it cannot. 

vor 5 Minuten schrieb grahamhoey:

My current question is can the SL not show both the horizon line and focus peaking at the same time. Am I missing something. Seems crazy if it cannot. 

+1, had the same question today.

errr.... they are only a button press apart ...... and if you are using a tripod there really is no problem.

handheld with manual lenses, focus first then change the setting to horizon, align and shoot. 

to be honest I rarely use the horizon handheld ...... and the evf is so good I rarely need to use peaking when manually focussing either....... and a button press to activate magnification is more accurate anyway.

personally I prefer Leica's lack of clutter in the viewfinder and LCD...... everything in one go sounds like a good idea but for me tends to get in the way of the most important aspect of the whole exercise ....... composition .... on which all photos ultimately succeed or fail, irrespective of any technical deficiencies. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grahamhoey said:

Leica if you monitor this it should be a simple firmware fix. Focus magnification is great but I find focus peaking much more useful. The consumer level CL has it so why doesn’t the “professional level” SL. 

There is focus peaking on the SL!  It is in one of the submenus.

Leica SL Focus Peaking - Leica SL System - Leica Forum.webloc

Edited by ropo54

57 minutes ago, ropo54 said:

There is focus peaking on the SL!  It is in one of the submenus.

Leica SL Focus Peaking - Leica SL System - Leica Forum.webloc

Thanks Rob, I have been able to activate the focus peaking but can't also get the horizon display on at the same time. Both are indicated as on in the menu but if you push the info button when in live view it seems you have the option of either the horizon or focus peaking but not both. Let me know if I am missing something.

Cheers

Graham

2 hours ago, thighslapper said:

errr.... they are only a button press apart ...... and if you are using a tripod there really is no problem.

handheld with manual lenses, focus first then change the setting to horizon, align and shoot. 

to be honest I rarely use the horizon handheld ...... and the evf is so good I rarely need to use peaking when manually focussing either....... and a button press to activate magnification is more accurate anyway.

personally I prefer Leica's lack of clutter in the viewfinder and LCD...... everything in one go sounds like a good idea but for me tends to get in the way of the most important aspect of the whole exercise ....... composition .... on which all photos ultimately succeed or fail, irrespective of any technical deficiencies. 

Agree but I don't know why the option for those that want it shouldn't exist as it does with the CL.

9 minutes ago, grahamhoey said:

Thanks Rob, I have been able to activate the focus peaking but can't also get the horizon display on at the same time. Both are indicated as on in the menu but if you push the info button when in live view it seems you have the option of either the horizon or focus peaking but not both. Let me know if I am missing something.

Cheers

Graham

Read my link.  You’re not missing anything,  except maybe an efficient setup to compensate for lack of dual display functionality (and not just the two you mention).

Jeff

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grahamhoey said:

Agree but I don't know why the option for those that want it shouldn't exist as it does with the CL.

True ...... but I suspect the development team at Leica spend more time thinking about what they can leave out and simplify rather than adding more to the list of possible features that someone, somewhere might require. 

Leica philosophy in camera design has always been to keep things as simple as possible .... they really do not like adding extras unless they think it essential.....

....... which is why the forum is full of 'wish list' threads bemoaning the lack of things that Canon, Nikon and Fuji offer.

It's just a different set of priorities ...... and Leica can be remarkably stubborn in the face of criticism.....

(the file numbering issues that plague most Leica cameras have been repeatedly reported since they appeared on the M240 and are still unresolved ..... after nearly 6 years.....)

18 hours ago, grahamhoey said:

Not sure if this topic exists elsewhere but I haven’t found it. On the CL forum it is very useful. 

Moderator if it does exist feel free to merge. 

No, you’re not missing something, the firmware is.

very annoying omission.

Yes, I can switch between the two views (focus peaking OR horizon) with one of the buttons on the back. 

But. 

Why should I have to? A question I have been asking for a few years now. 

CL has both simultaneously, why not add it to the SL firmware - it is a software setting! It makes my life easier to have both on screen simultaneously. 

Edited by Sandokan
  • Thanks 1