I realized I am not good at rangefinder...

jaeger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had the same issue with my M240.  Once the RF was calibrated (in Wetzlar) the problem went away. 

I would go to a Leica store and ask to try an M10 with 50 Summilux.  Focus it on someone's eye at 1m and 2m, wide open.  If you get the eyeballs in perfect focus your M240 and/or lens needs to be re-calibrated.  Otherwise try some diopters.

Thank you jmahto, I think you have answered most of my questions.  so... if I have 3 lenses how can I calibrate 1 camera with 3 lenses?  What if I want to buy or trade a different lens in the future, then I need to redo the whole process again?  

RF calibration issue aside (get it fixed first anyway), I would like to point out a problem with checking with EVF. The RF calibration (even if done correctly) may not be coinciding with maximum sharpness that you may get by using EVF (zoomed in actual image from sensor). This is due to complex curvy focal plane (different from lens to lens and different at different distances). The RF focusing gives you an optimized sharpness in the entire plane (and not maximum sharpness in the center).

This has been discussed quite a bit in the past. Therefore my suggestion will be:

- Get RF calibrated with the lenses that you use (send both) if not done already.

- If eye sight is really poor then get diopter. I am of similar age to yours and use glasses for reading (1.5) but I focus ok without needing the glasses. Your situation may vary.

- Reset expectation for image sharpness for the output/display need of yours. For me this took care of my ongoing anxiety about RF. :)

Thank you jmahto, I think you have answered most of my questions. so... if I have 3 lenses how can I calibrate 1 camera with 3 lenses? What if I want to buy or trade a different lens in the future, then I need to redo the whole process again?

Calibration with lenses together is needed only for fast and longer lenses where DOF is thin (for example: I don’t bother with calibrating 28cron even if it is my most used lens). Generally lenses are not out of tune and you should not repeat it every time a new lens is acquired.
  • Like 1

RF focusing gives an optimized sharpness at the place of the RF patch hence a lesser one elsewhere in case of field curvature IMHO. 

That depends entirely on the choice made when calibrating such a lens. 

If you can pick out sharp details in the RF patch then I don't think the issue is you needing a diopter.  Since you have the same issue with 3 different lenses, then I don't think the issue is lens calibration.  My choice for a diagnosis is the rangefinder is out of proper calibration.  The fact you had it in to Leica to fix that does not mean it necessarily was fixed.  I second the suggestion of going to a store and trying other M's (I would try more than one, to help eliminate another possibly miscalibrated sample).   If you don't have the problem with those, and I have a strong feeling you won't, then you need to send it back for recalibration.  Or DIY.  When I got my M9 it was significantly miscalibrated from the factory.  Not just the infinity setting, the close setting as well.  Once I adjusted it myself it was spot-on and stayed that way for the duration of my ownership. 

• Like 1

I have new discovery. 

The rangefinder control arm jammed and cause miss focus!  I catch that today because the image was way way way out of focus, I mean 15 feet away which is completely ridiculous.  I stopped for a while thinking, thinking and after a million of possibilities... my inner voice told me it might the control arm get stuck.  I put my ear very close to the camera then pressed the lens release button and slllloooooowwwly turn the lens.  You know what?  I heard a soft snap!  I put the lens right back on and take the same image and viola!  Everything in focus both thru the rangefinder and the picture.  I did this test multiple times keep changing lenses, take pictures and when I see a tiny blurry, I do the same trick and I can hear sometime is louder than another or vice versa. 

Can anyone who has this experience please kindly share with me how to fix a jammed control arm issue?

Edited by jaeger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have new discovery. 

The rangefinder control arm jammed and cause miss focus!  I catch that today because the image was way way way out of focus, I mean 15 feet away which is completely ridiculous.  I stopped for a while thinking, thinking and after a million of possibilities... my inner voice told me it might the control arm get stuck.  I put my ear very close to the camera then pressed the lens release button and slllloooooowwwly turn the lens.  You know what?  I heard a soft snap!  I put the lens right back on and take the same image and viola!  Everything in focus both thru the rangefinder and the picture.  I did this test multiple times keep changing lenses, take pictures and when I see a tiny blurry, I do the same trick and I can hear sometime is louder than another or vice versa. 

Can anyone who has this experience please kindly share with me how to fix a jammed control arm issue?

So here is the cause :rolleyes:.

Long ago I had the same trouble with M4s, two with slow focus roller in some years interval with two solutions, afterward.

- one I just play push/pull many times the focus roller and turn with my index (lens unmounted of course), and it worked for years after that

- with a second M4 (not the same one), slow/stuck roller needed to be serviced and replaced the focus module: it was bent, I didn't know how

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

I have new discovery. 

Take care to align the red dots when mounting a lens so the lens doesn’t hit the arm.