Leica CM / ML?/ New Leica Mirrorless Announcement

Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Paul I'm really enjoying my new P20. I'm not sure if it's up there with the M10 IQ wise but small and handy it is. I've not even sean a CL but it's obviously a bit with you. S for sensors how would you say it compares to the Tl2?

Neil

Do you mean Huawei P20? From the context, I suspect not.

I didn't really have the TL2 long enough to get a reliable idea of IQ compared to the CL, but my feeling is that the CL is better - better dynamic range and high ISO performance. It's the built in EVF of the CL and the faster AF that made me decide for the CL, even though I preferred the TL2 interface. I think the choice between the two is not obvious - it depends on personal preferences more than it does with many other camera choices - measurements and numbers tell you only so much.

But are those other lenses you mention autofocus, and if yes are they even close as good as the Q lens?

Yes. As it happens I took three cameras out for a comparison yesterday. There are two photos in this Flickr album, one from my Q, and one from an A7ii with a native Samyang 35mm/ƒ2.8. For that situation, I think they are quite comparable. The Samyang is the same diameter as the Q's lens, but about 60% of the length.

But size doesn't necessarily indicate quality. I've had Canon kit lenses which are way bigger and very so-so in terms of IQ.

Just quietly, but the Q lens isn't *that* compact. Fabulous lens, but I've got other lenses of similar focal length and aperture which are smaller and lighter.

lighter? How did you come up with that... couldn't take my lens off of mine

Neil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you mean Huawei P20? From the context, I suspect not.

Sorry Paul I was in one of those stupid fastidious moods

Yes I have just bought a new Huawei P20 after having Apple all my life. I am really enjoying the experience up to now and looking forward to using it when I go to Barcelona next week.

I was going to take my TL2 to Spain but seeing as the P20 has a 40 MP Leica camera on board I've dec6to take that instead and leave the TL2 at home.

When I bought the TL2 it was a knee jerk reaction and I wish I had waited and got the CL like you....... anyway as always pictures to follow

Neil

I would say, instead of fretting about what new camera may or may not be available, you should concentrate on perfecting your technique. No reason that you shouldn't be able to improve on that 90%.

If not then perhaps you made the wrong choice of camera in the first place. Again, no need to get frustrated that Leica haven't pandered to your needs when there's plenty of other options out there already for fast autofocus cameras.

If your goal was to belittle a person, you’ve succeeded. If your goal was to relay a different opinion or to provide advice, may I suggest using language that doesn’t take away from your message. I think the approach Jaap took in his response was far better, by being candid, helpful, and convincing; I adjusted my viewpoint after his post.

I never asked Leica to pander to my needs, nor do I expect them to. I see a gap in the market that only Leica can fill and that gap happens to align with what my current dream camera is. I am perhaps not as wedded to the history of Leica as some here, so I’m for focused on the future. Based on this thread’s length, it appears a few others have a similiar perspective.

• Like 1

Great photos on your travel photo site. Thanks for sharing.

Rob

Thank you!

Excellent shots!

Thank you!

As somebody who does  travel photography himself, I even did a couple of little articles on the subject:

https://the.me/die-leica-in-der-hand-the-monochrom-goes-into-the-snow/

https://the.me/henri-in-africa-the-leica-monochrom-as-a-travel-camera/

I would urge you to take a look at the CL; compact, excellent IQ, even compared to SL and M10 -better DR than both!-, a lens range aimed at travel subjects, integrates seamlessly with M lenses, superior EVF and relatively affordable.

It makes the full-frame argument a bit obsolete.

Thanks Jaap, I look forward to reading the articles. I’ll also check out the CL. Cheers!

• Like 2

Yes I have just bought a new Huawei P20 after having Apple all my life. I am really enjoying the experience up to now and looking forward to using it when I go to Barcelona next week.

I was going to take my TL2 to Spain but seeing as the P20 has a 40 MP Leica camera on board I've dec6to take that instead and leave the TL2 at home.

When I bought the TL2 it was a knee jerk reaction and I wish I had waited and got the CL like you....... anyway as always pictures to follow

Neil

I have the P10, and although it is my absolute fall-back camera-I-have-with-me, the IQ isn't up to M/CL standards - but it's great when there's nothing else

It is a mini sensor, though. Very short focal length, DOF from your toes to the horizon and heavy noise reduction. For a large-format photographer the results must be nightmarish, even if it is pretty good for snaps - and for the few photographers who manage to develop artistry within the limitations.

• Like 3

It is a mini sensor, though. Very short focal length, DOF from your toes to the horizon and heavy noise reduction. For a large-format photographer the results must be nightmarish, even if it is pretty good for snaps - and for the few photographers who manage to develop artistry within the limitations.

There is actually a growing 'smartphone image' industry out there … smartphone images sell like hot cakes to picture agencies . I've attended presentations by professional smartphone photographers. Their projected smartphone images were superb and they earn a good living from their 'artistry' … it's 'big business' … which is one reason why Leica has teamed up with Huawei. 

dunk 

• Like 2

http://thenewcamera.com/nikon-fuji-and-leica-registered-new-camera-at-wireless-certification-agency/

My guess is the date of announcement for the Leica is no sooner than Photokina 2018.

Rumourmongering recommences :)

What Leica might that be?  It's just a rumour ;)

And Leica Rumours has to publish something to justify their previous 'fake news' 

When Jono does not post any 'now then, now then … hold on a minute' comments (in response to all the forum hysteria), i'll believe that there's maybe something undergoing beta testing … 

And remember that whatever Dr K said in the KR interview last year was stated 10 months ago … A lot of water passes under the bridge in 10 months.

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Leica rumors has now just tripled-down on the “C-M” saying that he still believes it is §delayed but forthcoming, the registered 4529.

This reminds me of those predictions of the end of the world which occur from time to time. When the due date has come and gone Doomsday is simply rescheduled.

• Like 3