Herr Barnack

Good one Samir.

The vegetarians don't get away from their influences on animal suffering and loss of species either.  Huge areas of broad acre farming; grains, pasture, palm oil, etc.  

Cities, roads, developments of many sorts, mining, tourism, etc.  There is not much we do that is kind to nature.

All contribute to "habitat loss", by far the main reason for reduced biodiversity and animal reduction.

This thread is not about vegetarianism, veganism or any other -ism, nor about whether red meat is carcinogenic.

It's purely about the moral and ethical use of the skin of an endangered species being "procured" for the purposes of making a handbag.

Deer in Europe are not an endangered species. Chickens, the most populous bird on the entire planet, are not an endangered species (and their skins would make rubbish bags anyway). 

Elephants are.

IMHO, Thorsten needs to get his head out of "somewhere" and see the big picture here. His "brand", that I know he has taken 20 or more years to develop, is now forever associated with the killing of elephants, no matter how much he tries to justify his choice of material by copying and pasting quotes from a mid-west exotic skins dealer.

"I'm going on one of Thorsten Overgaard's photography courses in Seattle next week"

"Oh, yes? I don't know him, let me Google him"

... Google... Google...

"You mean that guy who sells elephant skin handbags for $40,000? Are you serious? Why would you want to be associated with him?"

20 years of branding down the swannee for the sake of what?

On a scale of 1-10 of massive fails, this has to be right up there with the best of them.

Thorsten - you're a good guy. Lots of people here have met you (me included) and lots of been on your courses. You have done a lot of charitable works in the past, especially after the tsunami.

Listen to what your customers and friends are telling you - do the right thing. You know it makes sense. It's not too late.

• Like 13

I wouldn't be so sure the bags will sell.

The sort of person that is remotely interested in these bags would rather buy an actual Birkin, Hermes, or Louis Vuitton. Not a cheap Chinese market looking knock off from a no name brand with no heritage or backstory, and no brand image to buy into.

This is just another ugly, tasteless, same-same bag with questionable ethics, in pile of millions upon millions of same-same bags worldwide that will probably go nowhere.

People who take an interest in fashion, enough to spend a larger amount of money on this sort of thing, generally do not even go for something like this. They don't spend so much on a design that is so similar to another unless it's an actual name like Balenciaga, or one of the cheaper well known designer/high street alternatives with an established and credible label such as Mulberry.

Judging by how little response there is over the internet, twitter etc. for his bags, other than mostly outright and widespread condemnation (a relief that realy gives me hope for humanity), I think this will be doomed before it even began.

He may sell a couple or a few to his inner circle at price they are willing to spend, but I think it's clear that the damage to his reputation is going to jeopardise what ever position he had - it's likely even too late.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 6

I completely appreciate why some people don't want the killing of any animals. But this is a very long argument and most likely several generations of change.

We don't have that luxury of time with the elephants and need to tackle this now.

Vietnam has less than 80 in the wild. Myanmar had 10,000 20 years ago and is now down to the last 1000-2000. They are on the brink of extinction and are being poached and left for dead for the skins at the moment. The killings are barbaric, inhumane and cause the greatest amount of suffering imaginable.

If this bag was made from a sustainable resource, if the animal wasn't on the brink of extinction, if there was't a bigger picture that was being overlooked and dismissed, there would be no complaints.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 3

Bear in mind this also comes at a time in fashion where even Donatella Versace herself just a couple of weeks ago declared that Versace won't be using fur any more.

“Fur? I am out of that,” she said, “I don’t want to kill animals to make fashion. It doesn’t feel right.”

Kerring, who is one of the fashion super brands owning Gucci has just sold off their remaining fur stocks and donated the money to animal welfare groups.

Hugo Boss has also declared no more fur.

Net-a-porter, the largest worldwide online high-end fashion retailer won't stock fur anymore.

This is a growing list. This is what is happening in fashion. Endangered animals certainly aren't a thing, it's so out of touch.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 6

I wouldn't be so sure the bags will sell.

Made to order, only available directly from from TO, it sounds more like a vanity project where Thorsten's trying to subsidise the cost of his own bags by other mugs buying them.

Edited by stunsworth
  • Like 1

One Rangefinder forum post properly suggests there needs to be a re-covering of the camera to achieve proper match with the elephant skin bag. T.O. should also use off-cuts to bond to his lens hoods for an aesthetic match with travel bags – say $9000 each?

Is anyone interested in me recovering their M in chicken skin? Limited edition remember, therefore very desirable.

Pete

Can we see a Photoshop mock up please? Add a few splatters of hard wearing white paint and it could be marketed as the Chicken Skin Edition.

Edited by pgk
  • Like 1

Is anyone interested in me recovering their M in chicken skin? Limited edition remember, therefore very desirable.

Pete

I would be interested in having my M4-P recovered in jackass leather to memorialize Thorsten's Folly, the name by which his line of bags should be trademarked...

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

I object to Herr Barnack's proposal.

Jackasses, aka donkeys, are much more critically endangered than elephants. They also have to endure constant discrimination by being compared to some sorts of people.

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 4

It's purely about the moral and ethical use of the skin of an endangered species being "procured" for the purposes of making a handbag.

Listen to what your customers and friends are telling you - do the right thing. You know it makes sense. It's not too late.

Andy, my point is that we need to go way beyond preventing killing endangered species for the purpose of making handbags. Animal farming poses one of the greatest threat to biodiversity and endangered species ... and global warming and our health.

Not to mention the awful, cruel living conditions millions of pigs and cows are enduring in these industrial farms, or dolphins and sharks killed trapped in tuna nets...

• Like 1

That's as maybe - please feel free to start a new thread on the subject, in the Bar.

That's not what this thread is about and expanding the discussion is not helpful in trying to get Thorsten to reconsider his bags.

Please stay on THIS topic.

• Like 3

Good one Samir.

The vegetarians don't get away from their influences on animal suffering and loss of species either.  Huge areas of broad acre farming; grains, pasture, palm oil, etc.  

Cities, roads, developments of many sorts, mining, tourism, etc.  There is not much we do that is kind to nature.

All contribute to "habitat loss", by far the main reason for reduced biodiversity and animal reduction.

I agree, David. I've been vegetarian for the last 41 years (I was 14 when I decided my path), and have done more than my share in destruction and de-naturing. It would be hypocritical of me to claim otherwise.

• Like 2