Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Elephant has been taken out of the repertoire now. I have decided it’s not something I will promote. I have changed my mind on this, as a result of researching this subject during the last week. 

The overall deciding argument in all this is the fact that when governments flushed the market with 105 tons of legal ivory in an attempt to remove the market for illegal killing and trade, it had the opposite effect. The illegal killings for ivory went up. The logics of this must be that the more ivory and elephant products are promoted, the more it is wanted. 

That’s why I won’t promote elephant products. History has shown that legal trade will cause an increase in illegal trade too. 

So, I have renewed my stand on this. I’m first and foremost a photographer who shares my stories and experiences. For most photographers, that means creating aesthetics and preserving the moment. I think what we have in common in this forum across all geographic locations, different cultures, religious beliefs, and more is an interest for quality photography and a life in harmony. 

A great deal of my work during the 22 years that my website has been freely available to everybody has been dedicated to making things work and sharing how I did it. With the intention of helping people improve their skills. 

So, enough talk about elephants. Photography is what I do, as in my upcoming article this weekend on the 75mm Noctilux.

As for elephants, I have no interest in protecting or explaining legal or illegal slaughter of elephants. It’s not my cause, not my subject.

But …

As a human being on this planet, and as a person who invests much of my time on preserving things, I wondered how to apply my own actual viewpoint about things, to elephants. The odds are overwhelming: With 33-35,000 illegal elephant killings a year, for a species that now numbers a total of 500-600,000 worldwide, the end is actually near. 

I’ve researched a lot of organizations, their stand on elephants, the laws on elephant trade, and I’ve come across many good projects from propaganda against elephant trade to geotagging elephants with GPS devises and studying their behavior. Isolated, all these things are great projects, but how do you keep elephants from being extinct? How can one grow the number of elephants, from a personal level?

So, I decided to adopt an elephant.

I have donated $1,000 this morning to The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust as a gift of life, as a foster parent of an elephant. They also offer $50 (per year) foster programs.  

I’ve asked if they would name him (or her) Barnack, as I thought it would be fitting in this context. I spoke with them on the phone and their elephant keepers are with the elephant 24/7, and even sleep with them. Often times these are elephants that are left from the flock and would otherwise die. Or, they are newborns which grow up for their first 9-10 years with them, and are then released in a reserve. One of them is Maisha (means “miracle” in Swahili), and until further notice, my donation is directed to her. They also have aerial surveillance, community outreach, and other activities, which in my view makes this an overall good cause to support when the aim is keeping elephants alive and growing.

That felt good! So, I've decided to adopt more elephants so as to make sure that in spite of everything possible, some of my intention actually comes through in the end. Another organization that offers one the chance to adopt an elephant, is WWF, whom I have additionally donated £1,000 ($1,400) to this morning. I chose the UK site because I could do a one-time donation, but one can also do monthly donations from £50/$55 and up on both the UK and the US page. 

I would urge anybody to do something on a personal level. Be it informing others about facts involving elephant numbers, or putting your money where your mouth is. I’m not in a position to go to Africa or India myself to protect the elephants, so this is my choice for trying to influence matters as much as possible. I don’t feel tweeting about elephants will change anything other than upset the world, but I feel that providing energy to people who are doing something on the ground might make an actual difference. Hence my choice, which doesn’t have to be everybody’s.

If you would like to join me in further supporting this, I am doing a 90% sale on my website of eBooks, video classes, extension courses, and presets with all proceeds going to The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. The discount code “ELEPHANT” will be valid until April 2nd (add it to the box in checkout and the price will be reduced to 10%, all proceeds of which go to The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust).

You can participate in that offer here. Get 90% on the materials, and the 10% you pay goes to adopting elephants:  

http://www.overgaard.dk/newsletter-411-2018.html

Thank you for your interest in this. 

/Thorsten

elephant-adoption.jpg

David-Sheldrick-970w.jpg

Congratulation!

I was rather worried by Jaap's earlier suggestion that the intelligence of the croc/alligator counts in the argument about killing them for unnecessary luxury goods.

I'm happy to elaborate, but not in this thread.

I think that it is not necessary to take Thorsten back into the church like a converted sinner and even to be proud of him in any way.

He would have had one year for this realization, which he describes; now he allegedly got it in a week because he investigated ("I have changed my mind on this, as a result of researching this subject during the last week").

He has bowed down to the pressure of his clientele. No more.

• Like 10

I'm a bit of a cynic. Yes it's nice that he's saying he's claiming to have changed his stance on this and donated some money to wildlife causes, but rather like the Australian cricketers I think he's more sorry about what he was possibly going to lose than the actual issue at hand. He hasn't apologised for referring to us a ignorant either. He's decided 'not to promote' the Elephant bags. I read this as 'but you can still buy one if you want to'.

It's a step in the right direction though.

That's my opinion anyway.

• Like 7

I'm a bit of a cynic. Yes it's nice that he's saying he's claiming to have changed his stance on this and donated some money to wildlife causes, but rather like the Australian cricketers I think he's more sorry about what he was possibly going to lose than the actual issue at hand. He hasn't apologised for referring to us a ignorant either. He's decided 'not to promote' the Elephant bags. I read this as 'but you can still buy one if you want to'.

It's a step in the right direction though.

That's my opinion anyway.

Likewise. Note that we were called ignorant just yesterday (and with added disdain, with only Jono considered thoughtful), yet he then says he gained his insights over the last week. Please.

Jeff

• Like 4

Let’s accept Thorsten’s post for what it is.

I am happy to accept his Damascene experience today, in good faith.

It took guts to do what he did, given his stance yesterday. I hope he appreciates how good it feels to have changed his mind and done the right thing.

• Like 4

Let’s accept Thorsten’s post for what it is.

I am happy to accept his Damascene experience today, in good faith.

It took guts to do what he did, given his stance yesterday. I hope he appreciates how good it feels to have changed his mind and done the right thing.

I agree with Andy 100%. 

Thorsten's change of heart is both encouraging and moving. 

Well done, Thorsten.

• Like 1