Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is a primary difference between endangered species and other ones, as there is a (slippery slope, admittedly :( ) distinction to be made between animals of high intelligence and sensitivity like Elephants and less intellectually evolved ones like Crocodiles.

This kind of statement is typical of human shortsightedness.

Not being on an endangered species list does not make the use crocodiles or alligators skins for "luxury" items any more acceptable. This would mean that before elephants were on the list, it would be ok to use their skin? It makes no sense. It's this sort of attitude that get species put on the endangered list in the first place.

Edited by ianman
  • Like 2

Some pages up, LCT made the comment that what Thorsten was doing was not illegal. Pete quoted it. Gobert also mentoned the universal declaration of human rights (a fine piece of work by Eleanor Roosevelt). I’ve just woken up, shaved (a more extensive experience now I’m including my head) and caught up with what’s happened, so forgive me if I’m taking the discussin backward.

TvO has withdrawn from using elephant skin (not convinced by croc or alligator, and the bags are still ugly, but I guess that’s a different issue) and he’s adopting elephants - bravo Thorsten.

It’s also an indication of why threads like these are important. It’s not about illegality or soft international law, it’s about doing the right thing. Save in rare cases, in rule of law societies, the law always follows public will. It is very rare for law to mould public morés and rightly so. It makes me very cross when a politician or other accountable public figure gets caught with their hands in the till, or in some one’s underpants, that the defence is “as no crime was committed” no action is taken. Sometimes, public opprobrium is important.

I agree it can go too far (we’re in the middle of it here with the #metoo witch hunt, but that’s another matter), but in this case there has been a good outcome.

• Like 3

I actually think that this has turned out to be one of the best threads on this forum in the 16 years I have been a member.

I agree - and I’m sure Barnack the elephant does too! There must be a prize for that quote after 16 years too Andy! Well done all around! This forum, to me, is so much more than about photography and cameras (not that these subjects are of little interest).

• Like 1

Right thing to do, Thorsten.

For whatever reason. Yesterday, we were called ignorant, despite your week of research. Regardless of the spin control, I greatly appreciate the end result.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 4

This kind of statement is typical of human shortsightedness.

Not being on an endangered species list does not make the use crocodiles or alligators skins for "luxury" items any more acceptable. This would mean that before elephants were on the list, it would be ok to use their skin? It makes no sense. It's this sort of attitude that get species put on the endangered list in the first place.

From an ecological and conservation point of view there is an essential difference. I don’t think you have read my other posts on the moral aspects... it is really quite simple: either we accept the use of other species and institute some kind of scale or we step away from killing creatures altogether. As laudable as that may be, that is too utopian for me. However, this is subject of another discussion in Barnack’s Bar.
  • Like 1

I wish to believe that Thorsten was naive but not necessarily at fault - he is of the Danish culture which, by the way through an old friend, I respect very much for, in part, their civil respect. I envy the culture.

I think TvO is worth following if he has given up the rare hide bags.

Peace

Edited by pico
  • Like 3

I’m very happy that our concerns have been heard. Welcome aboard the conservation train, Thorsten

Will he still be having his own 24h bag made of elephant skin, as originally stated, since he presumably already ordered it?

From an ecological and conservation point of view there is an essential difference. I don’t think you have read my other posts on the moral aspects... it is really quite simple: either we accept the use of other species and institute some kind of scale or we step away from killing creatures altogether. As laudable as that may be, that is too utopian for me. However, this is subject of another discussion in Barnack’s Bar.

For me the "either / or" solution is just as utopian. But as you rightly mention, this is for another discussion... and I don't want to get in the way of more praise for Throsten... this is his finest hour!

Well done Thorsten, thanks for listening and for changing your mind.

If you could do as some have suggested and put something on your website about conservation and the results of your research, in whatever way you wish to phrase it, I’m sure that would be very well received and very helpful too.

Thanks again for doing what I’m sure is the right thing.

• Like 3

Not being on an endangered species list does not make the use crocodiles or alligators skins for "luxury" items any more acceptable. 

I was rather worried by Jaap's earlier suggestion that the intelligence of the croc/alligator counts in the argument about killing them for unnecessary luxury goods.

• Like 2