Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

WARNING: This is a graphic video and is quite disturbing.

Can anyone watch this video of a crocodile being skinned alive and think this OK? This video is from the tannery that supplies LVHM, owner of Louis Vuitton.

The crocodiles are often alive for up to an hour after the procedure because crocodiles can survive on such little oxygen.

I have already posted this in the bar and the general consensus is that it is eye opening and I feel it should also be here. Moderators can decide on that for sure.

So long as animals are being killed for the skin, there is suffering occurring.

I don't feel in this day and age there are many materials that can't be substituted for synthetic materials that have little bearing on end use. Today we use leathers, not because it's the best alternative but because of their favoured qualities. The feel, the sound of it moving, the smell if it, because it represents something special to us in our culture. Is that luxury really something that upholds in our modern and more enlightened times?

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 5

I don’t think Thorsten can be made responsible for Matteo’s ethics. That would call for a next action, most effectively by an animal rights group.

The most one can ask is that he reviews his business relationship in the light of responsible enterprise.

I agree, but this looks a bit different.

It looks like he agreed with Matteo to continue to promote "The 24hr Bag".

Once contact is made, the potential buyer is offered a "special leather" option.

No elephants are ever mentioned by Matteo or Von, but we know whát the "special leather" is.

Since Von had no hand in designing the bags in the first place, beyond sticking in a Billingham insert, a retailer for Matteo is what he has been from the start, and what he remains, after attempting to throw us off the scent.

I confess one good thing for me has come out of Von's manipulation: Jotto.

But it's probably fair to explain that the price for one baby elephant adoption starts at $50 per year. Von claims here to have donated thousands... I am sceptical.

• Like 1

WARNING: This is a graphic video and is quite disturbing.

Can anyone watch this video of a crocodile being skinned alive and think this OK? This video is from the tannery that supplies LVHM, owner of Louis Vuitton.

The crocodiles are often alive for up to an hour after the procedure because crocodiles can survive on such little oxygen.

I have already posted this in the bar and the general consensus is that it is eye opening and I feel it should also be here. Moderators can decide on that for sure.

So long as animals are being killed for the skin, there is suffering occurring.

I don't feel in this day and age there are many materials that can't be substituted for synthetic materials that have little bearing on end use. Today we use leathers, not because it's the best alternative but because of their favoured qualities. The feel, the sound of it moving, the smell if it, because it represents something special to us in our culture. Is that luxury really something that upholds in our modern and more enlightened times?

Nothing short of horrific - is there any legitimate point in skinning these animals while they are still alive and letting them die a slow, agonizing death? 

After seeing this video, I am going to ask Thorsten: 

Please, Thorsten - do the only humane, compassionate and right thing:  Cease and desist forthwith in promoting, making, selling and using crocodile skin for your camera bags, straps, luggage and all other products!  This skinning practice is nothing other than animal torture.  It is sadistic and brutal and totally pointless.

Louis Vitton, their skin suppliers, all their employees, their scummy management, their business partners and their shallow, elitist customers can go **** themselves and rot in hell.

Edited by Herr Barnack

ok  :)

You "liked" my post mentioning that although this first step in the right direction is good, it is clearly not enough and that he should put out a statement that ....  oh just go and read it again  B)

Indeed. At the time I thanked your post I merely believed a statement was a desirable addendum to the end of peddling the bags.

Since then I've been persuaded that the wretched bags continue to be peddled, through a system of winks and nods.

The customer who likes The 24hr Bag just needs to ask Matteo for the "special leather" and presumably Von will get a cut from the sale, as its retailer, which he has been from the start.

Frankly, my position now is that no statement from Von, short of cutting all his merchandising links with the vile Matteo, is good enough to persuade me that anything has changed here, behind the big green smokescreen of two nights ago.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Let’s remember that Thorsten’s career has been in advertising. His engagement with photography hasn’t changed that a bit; it’s just given him a platform and customer base. Spin is king.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

Guys, let’s not spoil one of the best threads in the forum. Please continue in the Bar, bearing in mind that unfounded accusations against fellow forum members are not admissible.
  • Like 5