R-Adapter M

Nordvik

I've never used mine, but I suspect that since it isn't adjustable, that will depend on the adjustment of your R lens...ie does it hard stop at infinity on an R body or does it need a slight adjustment? I've had some which do and some which don't.

The Apo-Telyt doesn‘t go past infinity.

And as spydrxx said, the R to M adapter doesn‘t change anything as far as the ability of the lens to be focussed „past infinity“ is concerned. For some long tele lenses the focussing mechanism allows a slight turn beyond the marking for infinity to compensate for irregularities which may be caused by temperature.

Thank you both. That was nice to know. The two adapters I have tried for Nikon and Pentax are too shallow/thin, and let the focus go beyond infinity.

My impression is that almost all adapters for mirrorless are too thin. Is that correct?

My experience with the Leica adapter is that it hits infinity. The other companies got tired of people with mis-adjusted lenses returning adapters so made them a little thin as a general practice. My Novoflex adapters are the exception, generally being to correct spec.

Edited by mdemeyer

I guess that all lenses up to at least 50mm stop hard at infinity, and that the longest tele lenses goes past infinity. How about Apo-Telyt 3,4/180?

On my M240, APO180 3.4 goes past infinity by a tiny amount. At f11 it is covered by DOF but at 3.4 I need to back off a tiny amount from infinity. Also the amount to back off changes when I use it with X2APO extender.

On my M240, APO180 3.4 goes past infinity by a tiny amount. At f11 it is covered by DOF but at 3.4 I need to back off a tiny amount from infinity. Also the amount to back off changes when I use it with X2APO extender.

That was interesting. I was thinking about the 3,4/180 with 2 x APO extender as an alternative to the 300mm Nikkor I have been borrowing. I have not been impressed with the Nikkor at infinity. I do not find it sharp enough, and the gearing of the focus ring is too fast. Will a 3,4/180 with APO extender be any better optically?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have been testing several Nikkor lenses for the last 5-6 weeks, and the only one I really liked was Micro-Nikkor 55/2,8. I want something like that. Then I started looking at Leica R, and the 60mm Macro-Elmarit do not look too expensive compared to the Nikkor. And if I get the R-adapter, why not a tele-lens also? The 3,4/180 seems really cheap by Leica standards. Meister Camera have two for 599,- Euro (and one with "fungus spots" for 349,-).

• Like 1

That was interesting. I was thinking about the 3,4/180 with 2 x APO extender as an alternative to the 300mm Nikkor I have been borrowing. I have not been impressed with the Nikkor at infinity. I do not find it sharp enough, and the gearing of the focus ring is too fast. Will a 3,4/180 with APO extender be any better optically?

Yes, I have settled down on APO180/3.4 with 2XAPO as my long range solution (on M240 as well as Sony APS-C). The IQ of 180 is stunning at all apertures and 2XAPO doesn't degrade it much. In comparison I also have Voigtlander 180APO Lanthar which has excellent reputation but I am going to sell it since APO180/3.4 is quite a match and is better with handling at infinity (180Lanthar is too touchy at infinity) and can be used with X2APO.

I wanted a flexible solution that is why I didn't try 300+primes. I looked at mainly around 200mm with extenders.

For all practical purposes I love my APO180/3.4 and mostly use it without 2XAPO on M240 and with 2XAPO on Sony APS-C (since it is much easier to focus with better EVF). On tripod the combo is perfectly ok on M240.

The following show you results of APO180/3.4 + X2APO on Sony APS-C. 

(If you want to know what is it then refer to South Bay Wreck)

Entire frame

1:1 crop

• Like 1

That is good enough. I tried building 0,4mm on my Pentax K adapter with the alu-thing you use in cooking.

It is not perfect, but good enough for now.

• Like 1

That is good enough. I tried building 0,4mm on my Pentax K adapter with the alu-thing you use in cooking.

Nice DIY :)

However I will be cautious due to a) the infinity stop changes when you add X2APO. You need to experiment and B) metal shaving falling on glass.

I admire your courage!

I would never put a rough hewn mixture of materials like this into one of my cameras / lenses, because I would fret about debris from this hybrid sandwich material on lens coating, body cavity or even sensor surface...

Edited by schattenundlicht
  • Like 1

It is not perfect, but good enough for now.

Another point I would like to emphasize is that for wide open (@3.4) + 2XAPO extender, there is a difference in focal plane for objects at 5miles and at 10+ miles. In your picture, the house seems to be around less than 5miles away (I am just guessing). If you adjust your infinity stop to that distance then it will off at infinity wide open. This is why I am ok with focusing ring moving past infinity mark. Even if it aligns with true infinity, for most far off objects (~5miles) I have to back off a little anyway and will use zoom focusing for critical focus.

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

My test picture was taken with a 50mm, so I would guess a 180mm will need to have infinity focus further away.

There is indeed a lot of debris from those alu "shims", but I have found using a vacuum cleaner and this little homemade adapter being effective.