Which Accessory(s) to get?

Maxx71

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Roll of black electrical tape — to tape over the red Leica logo button. 

At first, I felt that the M10 was the first digital-M that didn't need a Thumbs Up. But in late-March, at the Leica Store Mayfair in London, I met Sarah M. Lee, a Guardian photographer, who highly recommended the Leica Thumb Support. I tried it and immediately bought it. 

Incidentally, Sarah's website is worth looking at: http://www.sarahmlee.com

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

This has been very helpful! Thanks again, guys! The M10 (Silver) arrived an hour ago and I'm super stoked! What a beautiful piece of metal and glass! My Match Technical Thumb Grip also arrived today! So from what I gather, next will be a spare battery and a Tie Her Up strap. From there, I will see the need for a hand grip and/or half case.

This is out of the topic but geez... my M240 is good looking but this is one sexy photographic apparatus. =)

What I recommend: SD-card, extra battery and Visoflex.

I had a half case for the M240 and after a while did not use it anymore.

I bought one again for the M10 and never use it. How stupid is this...

I used a thumb grip for the M240.

I bought one for the M10 and never use it.

Could it be that you never use the Thumb Grip for the M10 because you have had lighter lenses on it? I ask because heavier lenses on my M240 makes the thumb grip and necessity (at least for my small hands).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I really dislike the Thumbs Up as it blocks the hot shoe. I used the Thumbie for a while but after I lost it I found out that I really didn't need such thing on the camera at all. There is an overview in the FAQ BTW

Oh yes, I do use heavy lenses.

• Like 1

I really dislike the Thumbs Up as it blocks the hot shoe. I used the Thumbie for a while but after I lost it I found out that I really didn't need such thing on the camera at all. There is an overview in the FAQ BTW

Oh yes, I do use heavy lenses.

Jaap do you use evf quite often?

I know it is a very downside having the thumbs up or any kind

My priority for accessories

- lcd protection, im rough and put it anywhere inside the bag, anything is scratchable and and want to avoid it at any cost, got the tempered glass protector, same size of my old sony a7rII

- thumbs up, might wanna try off though

- tie her up strap

- half case arte dimano, super body fit, wont fail

- contrast lens for OVF, helps me with focus, though m10's already awesome without it

- spare battery :)) is a must for m10

Instagram @jakontil

Spare battery (for sure!), Leicas own screen protector (dont` think I really need it, but why not when it makes a bit at ease ;-). And finally, Leicas half case. I have never used any case with my other Leicas before, but I have quickly become quite fond of the half case on the M10... including the tiny built-in hand grip in it. This hand grip is just enough to make no wish for the thumb grip... and the hot shoe is then always ready for the VF for my 21 and 24 ;-). My heaviest lens though, is the 90 Elmarit-M in silver.

I do like the ¨new¨ original leather strap coming with the M10... even if I also have always loved the slim & soft nylon straps delivered with the M6 and M9.

I never understood the soft release. 

I did really consider the Visoflex... but with my range of lenses, I now can not see what it really offers that the built in VF and/or the screen does not do even better.

Could it be that you never use the Thumb Grip for the M10 because you have had lighter lenses on it? I ask because heavier lenses on my M240 makes the thumb grip and necessity (at least for my small hands).

I do not use the thumb grip for any of my lenses, incl. 75mm Summicron and the 28mm Summilux, which get a lot of use, and these are among the heavier M lenses. 

The Noctilux is the only lens that I feel is too heavy for an M without some kind of additional grip, but I sold mine quite some time ago. No regrets.

Edited by anickpick

Jaap do you use evf quite often?

I know it is a very downside having the thumbs up or any kind

My priority for accessories

- lcd protection, im rough and put it anywhere inside the bag, anything is scratchable and and want to avoid it at any cost, got the tempered glass protector, same size of my old sony a7rII

- thumbs up, might wanna try off though

- tie her up strap

- half case arte dimano, super body fit, wont fail

- contrast lens for OVF, helps me with focus, though m10's already awesome without it

- spare battery :)) is a must for m10

Instagram @jakontil

Yes, I do, for long and wide-angle lenses and macro.

• Like 1

I was always sure that things like a "thumbs up" were totally unnecessary - until I read that the small plastic cover should always be on the hotshoe to protect the contacts for the EVF. I was even more sure that I would always loose the plastic cover when I removed it to use the hotshoe. So the decision was either to buy at least 10 spare plastic covers and not having them teady when I lost one again - or to buy a thumbs up. The chances I loose it are somewhat smaller.

• Like 1

I was always sure that things like a "thumbs up" were totally unnecessary - until I read that the small plastic cover should always be on the hotshoe to protect the contacts for the EVF. I was even more sure that I would always loose the plastic cover when I removed it to use the hotshoe. So the decision was either to buy at least 10 spare plastic covers and not having them teady when I lost one again - or to buy a thumbs up. The chances I loose it are somewhat smaller.

Sounds like an inefficient solution to a theoretical problem. I've never lost one of those covers. I have spare ones. A spare in the bag weighs nothing.

Are you sure you didn't just want another accessory? 

For sure I am sure.

Same with the EVF. I never wanted one, but they had one for bargain (it's pouch was broken) when I got the M10.

Since I had an EVF now but not really much need for it - it needed some sort of....well: accessory. So I got a 1:2.8/100 Apo-Makro Elmarit with Elpro for it - but I can confirm that this was really a bargain.

• Like 2

I have to be honest--I bought all the accessories for the M240--soft releases, hand grip, finger loop, half case, many, many straps and kept going back to just the thumb grip and original strap. I bought accessories because it was FUN to dress it up. I just hope I don't go through the same phase with the M10. So far I just have the Match Technical Thumb Grip and it's amazing! An extra battery is next, and I don't know how other pieces can enhance my shooting experience. I had the Visoflex on my X113 and didn't like it. What I'm saying is, Leicas are not just a "tool" to me. I have them because I love the experience of shooting them and Looking at them. They're awesome looking pieces of hardware. That's why I "dressed" them up. It's hard for me not to repeat what I've done with my M240 but I'm trying. I'm honestly glad to see other folks here who got more accessories than I did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The accessories I got and found useful:

- Kenji half case - has direct access to battery compartment (baseplate not needed)

- Kenji half case has grip so no need for thumbie or thumbs up

- EVF for night and longer lenses

- Deadcamera strap - so much softer and nicer and easier to slide than supplied Leica strap

- "Expert Shield" LCD protector

- extra battery (at least 1) 

- Toshiba FlashAir wifi SD card (the M10's wifi is slow). But M10's app can transfer DNG files while Toshiba can only transfer jpgs

Enjoy the M10!

• Like 1

+1 for a case. This is my highest priority. Also, a neck or wrist strap, a battery, and if you have spare change, a shutter release button. :D

The Leica cases are pricey but well made, fit perfectly (as you’d expect) and don’t add too much bulk or weight. By covering the screen, the screen flap helps to discourage screen use, or make it easier to ignore if you want to shoot it like film.

But mostly, I like the sense of confidence the case gives me when using the camera. I can grip it more easily and hold it more comfortably. Without a case I’m nervous holding a $10k+ camera and lens, but the case gives me confidence. It helps reduce buffs and scratches as well, especially to the bottom. Buyers do care about condition but it’s how much you care that’s more important.

Put it this way, do you buy a case for your phone? I’m nervous holding my big slippery iPhone 7+ outside without a case. I don’t want, nor can I afford, to smash my AUD $1.5k phone. And yes I drop it all the time but never once have I had a smashed screen courtesy of cases! I think you’re either a case guy (or gal) or not; depends on your nervous disposition and clumsiness I suppose. But I like the feel of leather so the extra protection has other benefits. :p

I’m not one for the extras bulk offorded by the hand grip. Some people like it, but I prefer a case instead. The hand grip changes the classic shape too much for me. Already the case has a little bump on the front to enhance grip.

So my priorities are:

1. Half case

2. Neck or wrist strap

3. Battery

4. Screen protector film

5. Camera bag (I like Billingham)

5. Shutter release button

6. Filters... polarising and b&w colour filters are fun to play with.

Edited by Simon
  • Like 1

Strange that people ask for thin body, then use accessories to bulge it up.

Perhaps they are different people.

I can’t say I care much about the perceived thinness of the M10 one way or the other. I use the Leica half case which fits perfectly, is not too bulky and does offer some protection from knocks. I have fairly large hands and find that I get a better grip on the camera with the case fitted. And I like the ingenious magnetic flap that protects the LCD screen.

My other accessory is a soft release bug:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!