Camera bag

Mechanical cable release

Arca Swiss base plate

Hotshoe spirit leveler

Nikon F to Leica M adapter

Pentax M42 to Leica M adapter

Electronic flash with radio receiver

Remote control radio transmitter for electronic flash

I bought the following accessories for my M10: ...

Leica M10 Holster #24016

I am quite finicky when it comes to camera straps. What I want the most is a broad strap so that it puts less stress on my shoulders when I carry the camera. The holster holds the camera close to your body, and it won't swing around so much when you are moving (unlike a neck strap). It could be improved if they included an addition waist strap to really hold the camera tight. The fit to the camera is snug, rather than tight - I would say it is perfect. Not so tight that removing the camera is difficult, but not so loose that the camera will fall out either. Also, buying a holster means that you can avoid two purchases - you do not need a half case, and you do not need a neck strap. If there were accessories that attached to the holster (e.g. spare pockets for CF cards and batteries), you might even get away with not carrying a bag. 

I thought about getting one of these but I don't want to risk some idiot cop or mall guard thinking my camera is a gun and shooting first.

As to the point, the only essential accessories are spare batteries and SD cards. The rest is just fluff.

• Like 1

I thought about getting one of these but I don't want to risk some idiot cop or mall guard thinking my camera is a gun and shooting first.

As to the point, the only essential accessories are spare batteries and SD cards. The rest is just fluff.

If you want the Leica M10 Holster #24016, perhaps this is a must-have accessory to go along with it:  https://www.safeguardclothing.com/overt-ballistic-vests/covert-overt-vests/covert-overt-iiia-bullet/

• Like 1

My M10 arrives tomorrow through the very generous help of a family member! I'm curious as to which accessory you prefer to use on the M10? Case? Thumb Grip? Hand Grip? Soft Release or all of the above? I'll try them all at the store in LA but would appreciate your thoughts and experience so that I can make better decisions after trying them all for a short time at the store.

Use your M10 for a while before you buy any accessories. I may just feel perfect.

think of it this way;

you are buying the Rolls Royce of cameras. Would you go right away and start adding aftermarket accessories?

If you right away add M10 add-ons,  you may miss forever using the M10 it in it's purest form. 

Go slow.

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Use your M10 for a while before you buy any accessories. I may just feel perfect.

think of it this way;

you are buying the Rolls Royce of cameras. Would you go right away and start adding aftermarket accessories?

If you right away add M10 add-ons, you may miss forever using the M10 it in it's purest form.

Go slow.

+1

Except if you need glasses and/or a diopter to ensure that you can see the focus patch (set at a virtual distance of 2m) and the subject clearly. That includes addressing any astigmatism.

Jeff

Spare battery and SD card are mandatory.  I did opt for the Art di mano strap and do have the ThumbsUp.  I purchased the ThumbsUp for the M10 because I liked it on my M9, but the drawback is when I use my Voigtländer 15mm, I have to remove the ThumbsUp to use the accessory viewfinder.  I left the protective film covering the LCD in place that came with the M10, but have a backup replacement screen protector for when the original needs replacement.  With the M10's Live Vue, I was able to get rid of the Visoflex and bellows that I used for macro with the M6 and M9 (which are both gone now) replacing them with the Macro Adapter M.  I have a few Manfrotto tripods but only use them for macro.  I find that my Domke Journalist gear bag is too much now unless I want to carry everything.  It is used more for just storing everything at home.  I pretty much carry everything I need (M10 w/35mm Cron and maybe the 50mm Lux, leaving the 90mm Cron and the Voigtländer 15mm at home most of the time) in a small Patagonia shoulder bag when I travel.  So most of the time, when I leave the house, I just carry the M10 & 35mm Cron w/o anything else other than the strap and ThumbsUp.  Keeping with the Leica philosophy of simplicity as much as possible.

I purchased an SL tempered glass screen protector. It's a perfect fit and $9 USD vs. $20 (via Amazon).

Next thing for me was a thumb grip. Can I live without it? Absolutely. But why would I? I feel the added grip makes for a much more secure...grip. I purchased mine from Amazon for $70: https://smile.amazon.com/FOTOMIX-TG-M10B-Thumb-up-Designs-Convenience/dp/B076PLX8SZ/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515359748&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=leica+m10+grip

Last will be an extra battery.

My M10 arrives tomorrow through the very generous help of a family member! I'm curious as to which accessory you prefer to use on the M10? Case? Thumb Grip? Hand Grip? Soft Release or all of the above? I'll try them all at the store in LA but would appreciate your thoughts and experience so that I can make better decisions after trying them all for a short time at the store.

if you are itching to spend some money, take a good photography class. just make sure it is not blessed by gods of scientology :D

• Like 1

I went through many of the aforementioned accessories but have pared it down to the classic A&A braided silk rope style strap.

Here’s why:

thumb rest: I didn’t like the way it digs into your back when the camera is sling around your shoulder. Adds clutter.

soft release: fun but not necessary. Didn’t like the way it torques the shutter button if you have the camera upside down in your lap to remove the base plate.

half case: Fun but adds clutter and bulk. An obstacle to the mentality of accepting that your camera should be used and, as such, may acquire wear marks over time.

screen protector: not necessary on the M-D ...

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I had originally hoped to keep my M10 system as light and pure as possible. As such, I purchased the following basic accessories with my body:

LCD Screen protector

2 x spare batteries

2 x 256GB Sandisk Extreme PRO SD cards

52mm B+W UV filter for frontal lens protection

I purchased a Voigtlander 50mm Nokton f1.2 lens as I shoot a lot of street photography at night and wanted a faster lens. This requires ISO settings of around 3200, 1/125 shutter speed to give some stability handheld, and opening up my aperture. Focusing with a limited depth of field at night by rangefinder is tough and the weight of the lens meant the ergonomics for me personally weren't ideal, so I then purchased:

Visoflex 020 viewfinder for focus peaking

Leica protective half case in black leather for some protection when setting down my camera and for a bit of added grip.

After a week of regular shooting, I looked into a thumb grip as I have enjoyed having these on my Fujis and feel it would be a practical addition to my M10. I looked at the Leica and Thumbs Up options but ultimately decided on the Thumbie after reading reviews and because I wanted to preserve the hotshoe for occasions where I need my Visoflex.

Two additional purchases I made last night are admittedly unnecessary but personal preferences:

Rock n Roll Limited Red Dot Strap as the included leather strap while ok, is only suitable for around the neck when I prefer to wear my camera across body and I thought a thicker, softer leather would be nice given the weight over hours of wear. I also think it looks beautiful and with it being on sale, and with the money I saved by choosing the Thumbie, it still came to be cheaper than purchasing the Leica thumb grip alone.

Convex soft release button as it is simply a preference of mine. I bought a Leica one because I am not embarrassed of shooting my M10. I have worked hard for this camera and dreamed of owning a Leica for over a decade. If people want to call me a poser, I can live with it. 

It may seem like I have GAS and while that is partially correct, I am looking forward to not having to spend more money.

I will play with configurations for different situations, as I'd like to keep my setup as pure as possible while getting the ergonomics that are important to me over 8 hour street shoots, and which allow me to capture the best results.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 10:33 AM, LBJ2 said:

Count me in for the Leica Hand Grip too. For my tall man hands, it’s what I call an essential accessory particularly since I never use a neck strap and always carry the M10 with a wrist strap.

What brand of wrist strap? Curently I use a Wotancraft with my Leica holster but Wotancraft have discontinued their wrist strap.

I want to add a wrist strap to my M4, and plan to use it with the same holster. Those straps that buckle round ones wrist don't suit. Too slow to put on and slip off.

Any suggestions?