M10, MM mk1 and Q

sls

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had eh M10 since about three days after launch, and I have the M9M, as well as the M246, M240, SL and Q.

I would NEVER get rid of my M9M. Yes its slow, yes its sensor will eventually have to be replaced (I still have there original).

The output is so good. Can't be replicated.

• Like 2

I have had eh M10 since about three days after launch, and I have the M9M, as well as the M246, M240, SL and Q.

I would NEVER get rid of my M9M. Yes its slow, yes its sensor will eventually have to be replaced (I still have there original).

The output is so good. Can't be replicated.

Agree - the M Mono mk1 is still pretty special. I've had one since 2012, and I've yet to even come close to hitting its limitations. It yields superb results in the poorest of lighting conditions. I don't think I could ever be parted from my MM mk1.

• Like 1

The MM1s seem to be holding their value better than M9's. A new M10 will drop a lot more over the next few years.

I would certainly expect the MM1 to hold value better than the M9. What I'm suggesting to the OP is that if he needs to sell a camera in order to try the M10, it makes sense to me to sell the MM1. I would think that a few weeks or months with the M10 would help him figure out if it's a keeper or if he'd prefer going back to an MM1. In that short span of time, the MM1 might be repurchased at a similar price, and the M10 would still hold most of its value. 

My first Leica was an M9 and I suppose those years were getting into the Leica mindset, now firmly implanted. Have a nice set of Leica M glass (21, 35, 50, 90, 135).

For reasons of ISO and colour, sold the M9 and bought a Q and MM mk1, both of which I love, use the latter most.

So the question is, given I have limited financial resources, will the M10 meet my MM b&w and ISO satisfaction levels so that I can trade both the Q and MM for an M10, or do I sell one of the kids and keep the Q, trading the MM for an M10? Buying an M10 in addition to MM and Q is not an option, and then I would have too many cameras (which for many is not possible, but is for me, also having an M7, Mamiya, Bronica and a couple of Sony's - although these are shared with my kids).  

Yes! Since you have 5 lenses which you can only use for B&W now and you don't have the full resolution with 35 en 50 on the Q, it is more a sort of capital destruction to stay with your actual combination since the M10 has arrived with 24MP full format for your original Leica M lenses. I have the M10 for a small month and for instance with the Summicron 35 iv I got sort of a whole new experience because of this wonderful new sensor. I also own the MM1 and I won't sell it yet (and I can absolutely follow Colint544 in #22), the differences are there, but not at all essential and in most cases not detectable, let alone in print.

Do not forget the Base-ISO of 100 in the M10 and the 320 in the MM1: in summer you can't really profit from your luxes and nocti's without filtering with ND or e.g. an Orange filter which brings the IQ also a bit down again. And it is all about bits here. The MM1 is different in grain/noise behavior in higher ISO's, not better.

In practical shooting the M10 with 90's and 135's you even have more often the right focus as intended because the rangefinder is better, so in the end it's just a matter of how much money have you got to keep your MM1 for the love of it.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

I just bought my first digital M, the MM1. I bought it during the wait for the M10 I ordered on Jan 20. I had planned on using the MM1 until the M10 arrives, then sell it and get my money back. Until the M10 was released the only other digital M I would have wanted was the MM1. 

I am seriously considering cancelling the M10 order. Maybe get it and use it for a few weeks then sell it at cost on ebay. I probably won't though. The MM1 is staying with me regardless of whether I keep the M10 or not. IMO, it produces the most film like images of any digital camera I have used. Astounding performance (but does need post-processing to taste). I've been having a ball going through my collection of M mount lenses. My Canon Pixma Pro-100 has been loving it!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for all the comments. The M10 is deposit paid a while back. Off to Iceland next week with the MM1 and Q (and an a7r with R lenses). I think I will keep the MM1 unless it collects dust for 6 months. The Q is staying, it just a gem of a camera. Tried the M10 with long R lenses, razor sharp and clear, way better than the Sony which has shutter shake. The Sony is much quicker to focus peak because of its digital viewfinder. I also agree that Q manual focus and macro are not to be overlooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by sls

Pop on the EVF and you have your digital VF on the M10

Thanks for all the comments. The M10 is deposit paid a while back. Off to Iceland next week with the MM1 and Q (and an a7r with R lenses). I think I will keep the MM1 unless it collects dust for 6 months. The Q is staying, it just a gem of a camera. Tried the M10 with long R lenses, razor sharp and clear, way better than the Sony which has shutter shake. The Sony is much quicker to focus peak because of its digital viewfinder. I also agree that Q manual focus and macro are not to be overlooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk