Please convince me the SL 50/1.4 is better than summilux

leica1215

I am putting my 50SL up for sale now :) not sure if I'm leaving SL altogether - but i know i am selling the 50SL

I feel also tempted to go for the SL 75 instead.

I imagine it will have many advantages over the SL 50. But selling is not so easy here, so I will definitely wait. And I am still worried about the arrival dates of the new lenses - summer is over (at least meteorologically), but it still lingers "astronomically" for almost 3 weeks. Maybe Leica goes for that date ?

The sad thing is that the SL 50 turns photography into "work", while the M 50 lenses rather make it "fun". I was sick for a while and now feel the bulk of the SL 50 more clearly than ever before - while the M50 are better toys for reconvalescence. I think the SL 75 or even SL 90 might change hat.

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

Others mentioned the Techart adapter. But I do not like the Sony model at all. It is noisy - at least compared to the completely noiseless SL with native lenses. And it feels like you have to be careful how to place the camera - it feels like you might damage it when putting it down in the wrong way, or push it too hard or carelessly back into your bag.

A sturdy Leica with such a flimsy adapter - for me rather a nightmare.

And afaik it does not work very well in low light. (where AF is most useful).

Macro capability seems to be quite good - so it could be interesting to use some R macro lenses (or foreign macro lenses) with this adapter (with M mount converter). But then again the adapter looks a bit flimsy (700g weight limit for attached lenses, the 2.8/100 has already 760g).

But I would rather not use M lenses for macro. (The only great M macro lens is way too expensive for me).

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed using my new 50SL last week in the Hoh rain forest, Olympic National Park, WA (first trip with the 50; also had a new 90-280, but didn't carry that far!). Well, the 50 would have been more enjoyable if lighter, but not bad with the SL on a longish Harry Benz strap around my neck and under arm, with camera/lens around back or in front (to clear hiking sticks) for a couple of miles. I used a tripod with it on a earlier hike, but wanted to cover a bit more trail so these were hand-held at 1/160 f/1.4 160 ISO and 1/125 f/1.4 and 200 ISO. Earlier tripod shots were with smaller apertures, but I like these better wide open..... Auto focus was spot on and fast enough for me. I haven't used my 50 Summilux-M much recently, so no comparison comments. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Regards,

Bob

• Like 3