I love my MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Michael, I did not know that the watch wearer could influence the function of the watch. Interesting!

The problem is often how you lay the watch down at night. This is the period when the beat rate really accumulates.

Since it is staying 8 hours or so in one position while you sleep, the 'rate' divergences add up quickly; whereas when you are wearing it during the day, all of the positions are being used, and the rate changes don't necessarily all add up so severely.... (A simplistic explanation, but still valid).

If you check on a day to day basis, placing your watch in one position for 24 hours, and then changing it, you wil see that with the dial down, or the dial up, etc. the watch may run quite faster or slower accordingly. (Idem other positions).

P.S. When you check the time, use an atomic time website - you would be surprised how inaccurate some computers are!

Edited by sumolux
  • Like 2

Chrome MP

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Seeing GeeTee's post with a couple of his favourites prompted me to click this one this afternoon.

Nice combo to carry in a bag.

Gary

• Like 14

Out shooting yesterday and somehow lose the screw retaining the rewind post!!......Please check yours are all tight!!

• Like 4

...    and the handgrip on the camera gives this aspect. Anyway, the straps are to avoid because when I put the camera in my Billingham bag, the metal parts of the strap can cause scratches on the camera ! Experience with my Leica SLR......but everyone does what he wants obviously I mean for the strap

attachicon.gifL1015966leicaMPlfht+++800pf+.jpg

M9-90 Macro Elmar

Rg

Henry

PS: I bought the Noctilux instead of a digital camera

The most brilliant of decisions!!!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I beg - very cautiously - to differ here. The 2nd stud is indeed an alignment and attachment post, but not for copying equipment (at least none that I know). A far more common use anyway would be by the flash bracket CTOOM, which uses this stud, on both early M models and screw cameras.

Now, the M4 of course has a socket for bulb flash, which on earlier M models would normally be a CEYOO unit attached to CTOOM. But of course there was the little matter of the M4's new canted rewind lever.

Consider the way that the Leicameter MR had to be redesigned as the MR-4 in order to clear the rewind lever.

By the same principle, CEYOO + CTOOM would interfere quite awkwardly when it came time to rewind the M4. Thus CEYOO + CTOOM were abandoned for the M4, the 2nd stud omitted, and M4 users were gently encouraged to attach their flash units directly to the camera's accessory shoe.

This, however, assumed that said accessory shoe was not already occupied by, say, a Leicameter MR-4, or an external viewfinder. But who needs a Leicameter anyway when using flash?

By the time the M5 and later M models came along, Leica had entered the hot-shoe era. Thus - as an indirect consequence of dropping that 2nd stud, and the useful CTOOM - bulb flash was further marginalised by Leica, even though bulb flash of course allows faster sync speeds than 1/50 sec. and is thus extremely useful, even today.

Hello Al,

Given what you have written above: Could you explain why Leitz manufactured The MDa, which is basically an M4 without a range/viewfinder: With the 2 lugs, 1 on either side. And why they did so: From before they began production of the M4 until the end of production of their M5 model?

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello Al,

Given what you have written above: Could you explain why Leitz manufactured The MDa, which is basically an M4 without a range/viewfinder: With the 2 lugs, 1 on either side. And why they did so: From before they began production of the M4 until the end of production of their M5 model?

The M4 M1... also has the extra lug.

My GMT has never kept accurate time. I've had it serviced by Rolex. Still runs slow. Maybe it's telling me to slow down (?)

I had a self-winding watch but being so lazy, I could not keep it wound.

Then I got a solar powered watch. There goes my night life!

The M4 M1... also has the extra lug.

Hello Again Pico,

I just noticed that the black M4-M in your photo DOES have the extending lug on the rewind side.

That is interesting. It is also an early production camera. M4's began with 1175001.

The extended lug might be there because it is the camera body designed for use with a motor.

M4-M's had a number of internal changes to make them more motor compatible.

Most regular production M4's do NOT have the extended lug on the rewind side.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

I still love my 0.58 MP :)

Perhaps even more so now that I finally have the lens I envisioned when I purchased it. On Wednesday I took delivery of a factory sealed 28 Elmarit ASPH II. Flew out to Tokyo with my family on Thursday morning, and used the combination to photograph the Sakura on Meguro river today.

I think the MP likes the new lens. It somehow feels smoother and more responsive now ...

Still getting used to seeing another set of frame lines after using it with a 35 Summaron, but I don't think I'll be changing lenses for a long while :)

Cheers

J :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mute-on
  • Like 2

Hello Al,

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

What I wrote is speculation, but, if I had to guess further, the answer to your question would be that on the MDa, a camera intended for use on copy stands or Visoflex, Leitz was not so concerned with an attached flash unit interfering with use of the canted rewind lever.  In a lab or a studio, the user has time to remove an attached flash in order to rewind, while on an M4 such interference would appear a more considerable design issue.

Best wishes,

• 2 weeks later...
New 2017 production MP

Edited by huracan
  • Like 9

Serial numbers are approaching the 500.000. I'm curious who will get this one.

About 16,500 to go (the serial number is of course seven digits). I don't think there is much chance that camera (or lens – do they share the serial number range?) will be sold as a regular item.

About 16,500 to go (the serial number is of course seven digits). I don't think there is much chance that camera (or lens – do they share the serial number range?) will be sold as a regular item.

Do you think I can pre-order it?   :o

John

Edited by jpattison