I love my MP

A dozen years of adventures with my Leica MP!

Leica MP with 50mm Elmar-M f2.8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

The MP-3 LHSA Black Paint special edition set.

Was the 50 lux that came with the set 6-bit coded? I didn't think it was.

A few sets i saw online weren't.

But this is ..

https://www.mapcamera.com/item/3717002666635

Perhaps it was sent for coding by the previous owner, or by MAP?

Purely out of curiosity, does something like this affect the value of the set? 

But this is ..

The LHSA lenses were not 6-bit coded.

• Like 1

The LHSA lenses were not 6-bit coded.

My LHSA lens is 6-bit coded and now I honestly don't remember whether I've had that done or purchased it like this. I bought mine new after the M8 was released. I also had mine sent in to Leica and shimmed to fix back-focus issues. I have used my lens a lot and it shows some brassing, so I honestly don't care whether the coding affects resale value. I am sure that the brassing will affect it more, but the lens will remain rare. 

• Like 1

MP with Summicron 50mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

But this is ..

Tytan , coding ? not needed IMO , and more than 16.000 Euros with lens  wow !

Henry

Really Wow , nice blue , unusual to see this kind of blue

Henry

Yeah, that shade of blue really fits the silver MP.  Well done on the selection!

Icing on the cake would be if you could source a silver chrome battery cover, as seen on the Hermés MP, and also somehow convince Leica Customer Service to change the rear of the camera to a silver chrome frame.  You'd have one hell of a bespoke camera!

Henny_Hermes_F.JPG

Henny_Hermes_D.JPG

I know opinions about these things are very much subjective but I've always thought that Leica have struggled to get the back of the camera to look right with many of these special editions. There is a particular problem with the rear door when the leather used is not black. A silver chrome camera looks great with black leather and a black chrome (or black paint) rear door but IMO things start to look wrong when the colour of the leather changes. I think the standard a la carte practice of using a black rear door, no matter what colour the camera or leather, can lead to some odd looking combinations but I'm not sure the Hermés edition, with matching door and camera colour, actually looks any better. The film ISO dial (mainly the colour, but partly the cheap plastic quality of it) looks even more incongruous than usual on this camera.

Henny_Hermes_F.JPG

Henny_Hermes_D.JPG

• Like 2

I agree on both your accounts!  The ISO dial and eyepiece are an eye-sore in terms of color selections other than black. I for one would be thrilled if they updated the MP with the metal ISO dial from the M-A to be black paint or silver (and was still connected to the light meter).  I wonder if you can change the rubber eyepiece to a silver metal one from the M3-era?

The only time Leica changed the color of the MP's ISO dial is on the Titanium version.  Other times they changed the dial was on a non-lightmetered MP, such as the MP Classic

LeicaMP-Titan_c.jpg

Leica-MP-Classic_2.jpg

At the end of the day, I'm happy making pictures with my plain Jane black paint MP.  But one can always dream, right?  B)

Yes, I agree that the M-A film reminder dial is a step up in feel and quality from both the standard MP speed selector and the piece of "tin" that was stuck on the back of the otherwise beautiful MP Classic. Until I saw your photo of the Hermés edition above, it hadn't really occurred to me that a black viewfinder eye piece only really works on a silver chrome body when it has black leather. Imagine how much more satisfying that camera might look with silver eye piece, white PC plug and silver M-A style speed selector. Would look even better with black leather.  :D

At the end of the day, I'm happy making pictures with my plain Jane black paint MP.  But one can always dream, right?  B)

I think I mentioned a few posts back in this thread (or another similar one) that the vanilla MP is arguably the most satisfying. It isn't perfect but it is what the product designer designed and, even though it was intended to tap into the burgeoning market for black paint fetishism, it is arguably the least pretentious of Leica's film camera products since the M7.

Edited by wattsy

The "David Douglas Duncan" special edition of a couple of years ago is arguably the nadir of Leica's "Lego" approach to putting these special editions together. The special edition, designed to honour the famous PJ, is supposedly meant to represent the camera sold at auction for $2.8m. At best, it is a caricature of the original and, for me, just looks like somebody rifled through the parts bin at Wetzlar (like a child might rummage through a box of Lego) until they found enough parts to construct a camera vaguely like the original. The resulting camera is almost a mini-quiz for Leica nerds (like me) to see where the various parts have been previously used:

Body (including leather) from Leica M-A.

Top plate from LHSA MP3 edition.

Silver chrome MP parts from general MP parts bin, silver M-A shutter speed dial and the silver chrome LHSA frame counter.

Modern Leicavit.

BP 50 Summicron lens from MP Classic set (presumably with a small hole tapped into it and a small steel bar screwed in). :D

Leica-M3D-5-David-Douglas-Duncan-limited

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2

I do not know if it is in this thread that I read about the difficulty of turning the disk of Isos

behind the back of the camera.
To increase the grip of the fingers and in the case you cannot turn the disk , take one or two

rubber fingers  to turn it  or squarely a rubber glove.

It works well :)

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

I do not know if it is in this thread that I read about the difficulty of turning the disk of Isos

behind the back of the camera.To increase the grip of the fingers and in the case you cannot turn the disk , take one or two

rubber fingers  to turn it  or squarely a rubber glove.

It works well :)

Henry

I press my right thumb into the centre of the dial to turn it, which seems a bit more logical to me than carrying a pair of Marrigold washing up gloves. The dial is stiff enough to stay put but not too stiff to be annoying.

I agree with some comments here about special edition and a-l-c versions of these cameras looking odd. It seems the more expensive the special edition is, the more odd it looks. The Hermes version is just horrible and less harmonious than even the worst of any a-l-c 'creativity'.

The essence of an MP to my eye is standard black lacquer with a few genuine and honest signs of being used by a photographer.

• Like 2