Film Photography Makes A "Stunning" Comeback

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure why the hostility from digital afficiendos

Its not threating digital :)

I agree this article is mildly sensationalist, but on the other hand its relatively gentle and does introduce concepts to the general public that will be new to them, but are of course old news for the jaded folk here.

Film can not declare victory and of course this is not a revival to anything like its former glory, and will never be, but it is interesting to note that it has bottomed out perhaps. 

Most interesting to note is that there is some substantial re-interest amongst the younger generation, which bodes well for its sustainability in the future.

Edited by colonel
  • Like 3

Back to the topic:

Big multinationals like Kodak and Fuji will be pulling of the trigger in time for their film related products.

Smaller companies like Ilford, Foma, maybe can survive, especially in B&W.

Big distributors like Adox/Fotoimpex, Rollei/Maco, Bergger can do partial their own products and OEM (with or without repacking) and it will be still interesting too.

In chemicals it won't be a problem, most brands are working with Tetenal in Norderstedt, Germany for their production and/or repacking. (Kodak, Ilford, Amaloco, Rollei, Adox, Moersch, Compard etc.)

Starting up new factories will be very complicated: See Ferrania, Impossible.

So I expect a small revival on related film products big enough to keep smaller companies alive.

Back to the topic:

Big multinationals like Kodak and Fuji will be pulling of the trigger in time for their film related products.

Smaller companies like Ilford, Foma, maybe can survive, especially in B&W.

Not sure I understand this, but if you are saying that big companies will stop producing I am not sure how you come to this conclusion

I see them continuing whilst there is demand. The vast majority of films sold are Fuji and Kodak with a  bit of Ilford thrown in

• Like 2

when people stop using their phones to take pictures and start using small automatic film cameras then we can say film has made a stunning come back. What has happened is that film, as Adan wrote earlier, found its niche bottom and will grow from there. Film and processing will, over time, get increasingly more expensive simply because better technology can't bury the costs. Quite a few professional photographers I have met do not miss traveling with a suitcase of film and trusting the mail when the undeveloped rolls are sent off to the editor. So no, film has found its level and thank goodness for that because it means film will be around for me. Stunning? Only that I went back to film after digital.

For multinationals like Kodak you need a large amount of film production which demand is not there anymore. In the reconstruction Kodak Alaris just survived a bankruptcy. They had a 800 million $ loss and Kodak had to sell all kinds of patents and cut into the pensions of their employees.

Fuji is discontinuing every time films till the end is there. They just have one B&W film in their program and just a few C-41 and a very few E-6 films left in only a few formats anymore. Peel apart is also away. It is a pharma company now so they can put away Fuji Film in their name.

When I see the declining amount of products in my web shop Kodak and / or Fuji will go out of the film business. Just based on digits, not on feelings ..... :)

Edited by fotohuis

Here is a more proper version of my example of Cinestill 50.

I find that it has a slight golden tinge to it, which (if desired) can easily be reversed and brought into more balance with a slight WB tweak.

It really is a wonderful slow daylight film... My favorite for very bright daylight situations, particularly with family where portraits are involved

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

For multinationals like Kodak you need a large amount of film production which demand is not there anymore. In the reconstruction Kodak Alaris just survived a bankruptcy. They had a 800 million $ loss and Kodak had to sell all kinds of patents and cut into the pensions of their employees.

Fuji is discontinuing every time films till the end is there. They just have one B&W film in their program and just a few C-41 and a very few E-6 films left in only a few formats anymore. Peel apart is also away. It is a pharma company now so they can put away Fuji Film in their name.

When I see the declining amount of products in my web shop Kodak and / or Fuji will go out of the film business. Just based on digits, not on feelings ..... :)

Kodak went into Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection because they couldn't earn money from their investment in digital technology. It was profits from film that kept them going for so long!

The still film business is now owned by their UK pension fund, who 'outsource' production to Kodak.

See the post.

Mr. Miller is it not like you to post an out-of-focus image.

Pico, sharpness is a "bullshit " * as said Henri Cartier Bresson !

like some digital pictures of the MM that I call "plasticized synthetic image"

The little blur gives a charm to the picture

* translated from french "connerie" ... or in softer term "stupidity"

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 5

Yes indeed, Fuji discontinued many films in different formats. The last instant peel film was the FP100C. But sometimes there is good news. It's not for serious photography but today they announced the availability of Instax mini monochrome film from October on. Their Instax (mini) line is doing very well, presume they see cash in it by releasing a monochrome version.

Best

• Like 1

Yes indeed, Fuji discontinued many films in different formats. The last instant peel film was the FP100C. But sometimes there is good news. It's not for serious photography but today they announced the availability of Instax mini monochrome film from October on. Their Instax (mini) line is doing very well, presume they see cash in it by releasing a monochrome version.

Best

yes but ...... 

Fuji is making many types of film still. Its fine for them to prune the range

there are many other brands, Adox, Lomo, Agfa, Rollei, Cinestill, .... etc.

despite the gloom and doom, which is perennial for some folk over film, there is still 'stunning' choice of film with the big ones still going strong

• Like 3

yes but ...... 

Fuji is making many types of film still. Its fine for them to prune the range

there are many other brands, Adox, Lomo, Agfa, Rollei, Cinestill, .... etc.

despite the gloom and doom, which is perennial for some folk over film, there is still 'stunning' choice of film with the big ones still going strong

I agree, there is still plenty of choice. Not always in traditional photography stores but online.

Other good news, yesterday I got a mail from Kickstarter Ferrania with a link to a short video. It seems they are starting up.

Best

Not going further in the existing film vs. digital discussion above since all necessary was mentioned already. I shoot both - film and digital. So all is good :)

Regarding comeback of film - no matter how many percent of increase by year it might be - simply look at the numbers out there - of available and bought film related gear. I can see an increase in demand of film cameras - SLRs still being the cheapest, but Leica rangefinder and medium format cameras and lenses increased in price. Same is true for darkroom equipment - often given away for free a few years back, now you might pay quite some money for well maintained enlargers. A friend of mine informed me recently that a colleague of her is moving and wanted to give away his whole darkroom setup including enlarger for free - it was picked up in a matter of hours, several people were interested I heard. I doubt the same had happened 10 years ago when digital was still on the rise.

Here is a more proper version of my example of Cinestill 50.

I find that it has a slight golden tinge to it, which (if desired) can easily be reversed and brought into more balance with a slight WB tweak.

It really is a wonderful slow daylight film... My favorite for very bright daylight situations, particularly with family where portraits are involved

Well chosen depth of field - the sunglasses are sharp (you can even see the background reflected nicely in them). Great portrait shot with wonderful colors!

• Like 1