Leicapaedia in the Leica camera user forum?

StS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good morning,

I just wondered, whether it would be useful to add something like a Leicapaedia (or would it be Leicapedia?) to the forum. I'm convinced we have a vast amount of Leica-knowledge which can be pooled from our users.

As part of this concept we could also add 'online operating manuals' for Leicas. I wouldn't be surprised if we could cover all Leicas which have ever been made. Coming from people having sometimes decades of experience in using Leicas such manuals could be more helpful than the standard manuals.

What do you think?

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why would it be against the concept? The only thing is that all contributions would have to be translated one on one by somebody. Personally I am neutral as to language,both would be fine, but I can see more German contributors fluent in English than the other way around.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my exposition: I wanted to point that if a "Leicapedia" is to be envisioned, it has to be ONE, and of course better if in english... wouldn't like two different Leicapedias... I say this for, being me about 1-2% fluent in German, I sometime regret not to be able to read something interesting in the German forum...

Good idea - I'd find stuff useful like camera specs (differences between various models), Lens info - variants, key differences i.e. 35-70 R zooms or 3.5 Elmars, serial numbers by year etc., LTM accessory codes i.e. what is a Nooky or a Zookey or whatever!

Images - famous Leica photographers and their work (subject to copyright permissions I guess)

Just my humble two cents ... since you're pulling more pieces together, Andreas. Perhaps it's time to think about an overhaul of the web site. Have you looked at a decent CMS such as the Joomla or Drupal?

Forums, galleries, RSS feeds, wiki, online merchant system can be easily added as plugins.