CV 12 and 15 mm lenses - image examples please

stevme

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another interesting lens to consider ist the widest of them all, the Tegea:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M8, Kinoptik Tegea 9.8mm f/1.8 @ f/5.6

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another interesting lens to consider ist the widest of them all, the Tegea:

M8, Kinoptik Tegea 9.8mm f/1.8 @ f/5.6

Peter, that's an amazing lens. I had never heard about it before. I noticed they also make a (I believe) 5.6mm. Are you happy with the IQ and vignetting of the 9.8mm?

Kind regards,

Etienne Werner

Here's one with the CV 15. I use it with the Leitz 21mm viewfinder.

Hans

Peter, that's an amazing lens. I had never heard about it before. I noticed they also make a (I believe) 5.6mm. Are you happy with the IQ and vignetting of the 9.8mm?

Kind regards,

Etienne Werner

This is the Tegea with corners corrected:

wide.jpg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Etienne, the 5.6mm only covers 16mm film. The 9.8mm covers a 20mm circle and thus vignettes heavily in the corners, so much so you have to crop most of the time. The lens flares quite a bit in direct sun or light and for optimum sharpness you have to stop it down to f/5.6 or slower. When shooting, you have to be very careful to keep it horizontal; a bubble level is useful. Finally, it is quite a heavy monster and certainly not a lens for unobtrusive "street" shooting. You hardly see them in Leica mount (most often in Arri mount) and you need to have a custom adapter made.

All this said, you can achieve results no other lens will give you

You can see more examples and info about this lens in the following link: Really wide really works

Kindest regards,

Peter

Etienne, the 5.6mm only covers 16mm film. The 9.8mm covers a 20mm circle and thus vignettes heavily in the corners, so much so you have to crop most of the time.

I wonder if this new SW CornerFix could take care of the heavy vignetting corners? It is indeed a very big lens.

Regards,

Etienne

As you see, Peter ( and this example was taken from the thread you mention), I don't crop, but pull out the corners in postprocessing.

If I look at your pictures, you did crop. In the far corners there is just black. You can enhance part of the vignetting where there is still some information, but in the corners there is nothing to enhance.

If I look at your pictures, you did crop. In the far corners there is just black. You can enhance part of the vignetting where there is still some information, but in the corners there is nothing to enhance.

No I did not crop. I used a lens distortion correction tool and I introduced pilow-type distortion in the corners, pulling them outwards as it were. If you look at the numberplate it is at exactly the same distance to the edge on both shots.

CV15mm. I use the Leica 21mm finder.

Tsuneharu Kuwahara

Fukuoka Japan

I am trying to decide between purchase of the 12 mm CV lens and the 15 mm CV lens.

Would someone be so kind as to post images from each lens? I am trying to get an idea of what the field of view is when used on the M8. I am concerned that the 15 MM lens, which is faster, may not be sufficiently wide enough. I am looking to use the wider lens for interiors and crowd shots. Any other comments about the lenses, including using them with the IR cut filters, would also be appreciated. I have already consulted Sean Reid's reviews.

Thanks

Steve

Here are non-artistic shots from my CV 15mm, about f/8 or so, ISO 160. Files reduced in size by Photoshop Elements 5.9, no other corrections. I find this to be a very sharp lens.

15mm f5.6, ISO 320. Full frame, detail crop and edge crop (@ 100%) There's a bit of noise in the edge crop in shadow. The JPEGs do not do it justice. Remember, the 100% crops are like looking at detail from a roughly 44" x 65" print (file resolution = 240 ppi.) Move your chair back at least three feet from the monitor for a more normal viewing distance.

Truly amazing from a small format camera. This has to be one of the all-time great bargain lenses!

T

Here is the Tanah Lot temple in Bali taken at dusk with the Heliar 15 on my Leica M8 - the 15 on the M8 vignettes less than on the RD 1 - despite the larger CCD in the 8.

Cheers

Howard (in Hong Kong)

These images were inspiring, just great. Looks like I will start with the 15. My poor wallet.

Steve

Well Steve, if you are like me you will probably get both in the end.:)

Even together these lenses cost less than 1/3 of the Zeiss 15mm. I am still smiling everytime I use the 15mm CV. It was the best investment I've made apart from getting the M8.

Kind regards,

Etienne