CV 12 and 15 mm lenses - image examples please

stevme

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got one yesterday, a used black one at adorama, with finder, plus a leica mount. Immediately went out a photographed a job, no coding, no filter, industrial interiors/exteriors, which I can post after it is published, but I was very impressed, sans filter, it is pretty good, the cyan drift (on this subject) was not too noticeable, and the distortion is very low. Also pretty resistant to flare, you just get an overall softening of the contrast which is useful to maintain detail in shadows. Best 299 I have ever spent!

Here's a CV 15 (slight crop, the original was fine too)...filtered. I love the 15 and the 21; I'm sure the 12 is right around the corner!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I am trying to decide between purchase of the 12 mm CV lens and the 15 mm CV lens.

Would someone be so kind as to post images from each lens? I am trying to get an idea of what the field of view is when used on the M8. I am concerned that the 15 MM lens, which is faster, may not be sufficiently wide enough. I am looking to use the wider lens for interiors and crowd shots. Any other comments about the lenses, including using them with the IR cut filters, would also be appreciated. I have already consulted Sean Reid's reviews.

Thanks

Steve

Here is the CV 15mm Heliar, ISO 320, f/11, 1/250th, coded as 16mm WATE, no IR-Cut Filter. Some minimal processing in Photoshop Elements 5.0 to reduce file size. This is of Norfolk, Virginia's Harborfest. This post was inches away from me taking the pix. What a great lens.

Here's one shot today. No IR-cut filter as I'm waiting for a solution that does not involve me climbing into the lens with an o-ring.

C'mon JM (Milich).

This is taken on North Bridge in Concord, MA, the poetryized birthplace of the American Revolution.

Colors are not bad with the Leica generic profile in C1. I'm not even gonna play with balancing it.

Skies are so dramatic with these wide lenses.

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just shot this in Ny today 12mmCV no filters menu off

Guest guy_mancuso

Bill I am on my laptop so hope it looks good. But i did it in LR and just gave it 17 plus vibranc brought down the saturation -6 and than just winged the recovery and fill to taste . No WB on it

Guest guy_mancuso

Another 12mm . Little sensor bloom . But pretty much expected on this shot.

There was a action that jamie had that fixes this but i don't have it on my laptop so if anyone knows of it , i would like to get it . I have about 15 days of shooting in NY and Germany and would be nice to work on some of them on the road

Guest guy_mancuso

Funny shot . Looks like there are some tourist in NY. Duh!!

These guys win the contest for looking like tourists

The CV15 is not just a gem, at its price, it's a steal !! Some pics I took at Bellagio lately.

Well, I placed my order for the CV 15 and 21 viewfinder with CameraQuest a few days ago. I am ordering the Milich adapter (which permits coding), relying on advice in Sean Reid's column.

A question for Matthew on his Belagio photos: how did you meter those shots? Your lighting is just terrific.

Also, I'd urge other readers to check out some of the links as well that commenters have given for some more dazzling photos. Again, exposure on these is as amazing as clarity.

Steve

Guest sirvine

Yeah, my filter is just jammed in there with a little loop of gaffer tape on the top and bottom to provide enough tension and traction to hold it in. I've been swinging the camera around a lot since I've had the filter on, and it hasn't budged.

I'm going to keep an eye out for Guy...I have a mental image of you, so I'll holler if I see you on the streets of midtown!

I too love my 15. It is making me rethink the filter issue for landscape. I think the color and contrast is more pleasing than what I'm getting out of my filtered Leica lenses. It has quickly become one of my favoites. Just set it to f8, no finder, no focussing, just point and shoot.

Some shots from Venice with the 15. No filter, some cropping, minor alterations to JPGs in Iphoto.

Great shot DaveB!

I am just playing with 093s myself, and had not thought of using the CV15

As you know the tricky thing about IR is figuring out how to focus. Lots of lenses have IR focus marks on them, but the CV15 obviously doesn't. I've been photographing with that filter and lens with the infinity mark placed between the right hand 4.5 and 8 on the DOF scales.

The wide angle lenses make IR pretty easy.