M3D-100

What a marvel! Aahh, these two red dots on the rewind button....The only regret : why does the DDD-signed model wear the "Leica Camera AG" engraving instead of the good old "Ernst Leitz Wetzlar GmbH" one?

What a marvel! Aahh, these two red dots on the rewind button....The only regret : why does the DDD-signed model wear the "Leica Camera AG" engraving instead of the good old "Ernst Leitz Wetzlar GmbH" one?

Dear Pecole,

did You recognize the Vulcanite?

the bigger flash conncectors?

is it possible that................????

No, or?

Thomas

These are just no 1: 1 replicas of the original but modern cameras, although inspired by the former special design, but with today's elements, such as the center contact of an electronic flash in the hot shoe or the elimination of the external contact for flash bulbs.

And since the legal form of the company Leica has changed in the meantime, AG has been engraved for the holding = Aktiengesellschaft (Joint-Stock Company) instead of the former GmbH = limited liability company (= Ltd.).

- Some decades ago, I learned in the context of a banking apprenticeship in business administration class, that an AG (Aktiengesellschaft) would be assessed more serious than a GmbH (Ltd.).
Hopefully that's true yet ... :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

for the FB-page of my friend Lars Netopil:

Leica M3D-100

23.01.1916 - 23.01.2016

Two unique pieces, commemorating the 100th birthday of David Douglas Duncan:

- Leica M3D pre-series unit from the re-edition of the M3D from 2014

Summilux-M 1:1,4/50 mm ASPH. "LHSA"-style, with DDD-typical focusing lever
Leicavit-M "MP6"-style

- Leica M3D "historical assembly", produced from the last surviving set of original MP spareparts from 1956

Summilux 1:1,4/50 mm in black paint, with DDD-typical focusing lever
Leicavit M

Happy Birthday David!!

• Like 1

Thanks to DDD for being there. Happy Birthday!

Aside - I like the focusing assist rod attached to the Summicron, although later it seems that Duncan had it shortened, probably to allow the camera to sit flat on its bottom with the rod supporting the lens, or at least not interfering. That's what I did, too.

A pic showing Leica's original with the rod superimposed in the 90° position.

DDD.jpg

Edited by pico

Dear Pecole,

did You recognize the Vulcanite?

the bigger flash conncectors?

is it possible that................????

No, or?

Thomas

...and the MP- or M2-style disc under the lever! Of course, dear Thomas, I knew they were some "replicas", but the nostalgy was there. Details by Dr.No above are clarifying. And concerning the GmbH/AG explained by "mnutzer", I knew all that (as a Doctor at Law, I have to), and my remark was purely "nostalgic" as well.

two great pieces for agreat photographer.... happy he reached his 100 birthday !!!

Honestly speaking... I think that Nikon would be more entitled to issue some celebrative item... DDD had indeed HIS M, but he was also, and more significantly, one of the photog who contributed the most to build the legend of Nikon F...

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 3