M6 film economy...

I routinely get 38. I've seen various descriptions and YouTube videos suggesting the need to fire the trigger 1, 2 or even 3 times to ensure proper loading but that's just an utter waste of film. I put the film in the tulip and wind and trigger the camera once. Works for me.

• Like 1

I routinely get 38. I've seen various descriptions and YouTube videos suggesting the need to fire the trigger 1, 2 or even 3 times to ensure proper loading but that's just an utter waste of film. I put the film in the tulip and wind and trigger the camera once. Works for me.

Im going to try this.

I find with FujiFilm Acros 100 I get 40 frames, whereas with all the Kodak's I get 38. Maybe they wind on a bit more film, maybe the film is thinner? This is on an M3.

4 free exposures!  :)

(I love Kodak, by the way, great films).

I usually prefer shorter rolls, as I don't burn film very fast. So I prefer to bulk load short rolls that only have what I want for the shoot.

Ive been wondering if I should do that also. When i soot 36 exposure rolls, I tend to take a few at the end just to "finish the roll" so they are throw-way shots anyway.

I usually get 37 exposures out of one roll, with two windings after loading the film in my Ms So the "0" is my first picture.

Everything elese can lead to loose pictures. That´s not worth it, i think. 3 or 4 windings are not necessary, but 1 is not save enough.

Economy: 5 Euro per Film for 36 or 38 pictures is 13,9 Cent to 13,16 Cent per frame. One lost (important) picture is worth what?

Edited by Fotoklaus

Did You ever get the last 37. picture clamped by the lab's drying holder?

If so, You'll never ever try to get more pictures out oft Your roll!

Thomas

I was just going to make this point - it's fine to eek out extra frames if you process your own film but it's taking a chance if you use a lab. Sometimes you'll get the extra frames, sometimes not! 

Hello, are others getting more than 36 exposures when loading economically, I.e with the smallest amount of the film leader in the take up spool?

More than 36 photos per color negative film or black and white film I try to avoid, because a sheet of glassine paper can archive exactly six strips each with six negatives.

For the negatives 37 and 38 extra starting a new archive sheet?

Of course it looks different when using slide film, because they have to be cut and framed anyway.
But often picture no. 0 and no. 38 are only used experimentally because of adverse effects of light, bending or other damages.

I often load in dark.

The M's with removable spool very easy.

My M6 almost as good.

On 24 exp. Fuji film I shot 27 pix.

My 36 exp. BW is Kentmere or Ilford HP+5.

Here at least 3 frames more.

Never waste a single exposure!

Ralph Gibson learnt that from Dorothy Lange!

Ralph had processed an unfinished roll.

He was told they were not blanks but photos waiting!

More than 36 photos per color negative film or black and white film I try to avoid, because a sheet of glassine paper can archive exactly six strips each with six negatives.

For the negatives 37 and 38 extra starting a new archive sheet?

Here's my way: First to ask lab owner/operator for devolop only and no cut. Then cutting long negative strips in six frames and use 6*7 film protection (six frames seven stripes) to archive the negatives.

Usually last two strips is 7 frames so I cut them in 4-3 for last two strips.

• Like 1

Ive been wondering if I should do that also. When i soot 36 exposure rolls, I tend to take a few at the end just to "finish the roll" so they are throw-way shots anyway.

As I am scanning my old negatives from the seventies, I suddenly notice the value of these throw-away shots: my mother in the kitchen, the old family house, the old shed. All lovely, I discovered a lot of gold dust! My advice: the more throw-aways now the more value in the years to come!

• Like 6