Leica SL (Typ 601) - Mirrorless System Camera Without Compromise

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi There Karl-Heinz

I have a raft of comparisons between the SL and the A7ii which I'm working up into some kind of a piece.

. . and I think that Sean Reid either has, or is about to post a comparison with the M

Jono, 

Have you got an 18mmSEM that you could test the SL with? If not I would be happy to lend you mine. Also ditto with a 28 Summicron, which I suspect may be the bête noir of the SL along with the 21 Summilux. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Speaking purely selfishly, I have the 15 Distagon, 21 Summilux, 28 Summicron, 35 Summilux FLE, 50 Summitar, 50 Summilux ASPH, 0.95 Noctiluc, 75 Summilux and 90 AA Summicron - please test them all and tell me if there's a problem!  Yeah, right!

The worry is the 28 Summicron, and I'm waiting for (one day) the 28 Summilux, so you tell me.  Will I have a problem with my M lenses?  You enjoy good success with the A7, so should I be worried?

Maybe the Leica Q is the compact and qualitative wide angle solution for the Leica SL.

;-)

Pulled the trigger this morning to place an order  :o

I had long discussions with my financial director, and she agreed on the basis (i) I would use it a lot and (ii) my photos actually are worth it (her opinion, not mine - I am fortunate to have one admirer).

I will use it for planned photo shoots where size/weight are not an issue but longer lenses are needed: portraiture (studio and environmental), and music/theatre. I will keep the M for anything that needs compact and lightweight: street, travel, hiking, family, leisure etc.

I will not get the (THE) lens, but have also jumped for a R80-200 f/4. At the moment I am happy with manual focusing and will benefit from the EVF and focus aids for long and wide-open shots with M & R lenses.

• Like 1

DPreview just posted a bunch of real world sample images.  They look good but personally I prefer the richer looking files of the DMR or M9.

I don't think the light was doing them many favours. Most of them seem to have been taken on a very flat lighting day. Given that folks seem to be raving about the quality of images from the Q with a very similar sensor, I doubt if there is too much to worry about.

Wilson

Apart from my teasing him about being the vegetable man, and perhaps some of the subjects of his photos, my comments are not meant to be disrespectful at all.  It's just that I don't really see asking us not to discuss his reviews as being realistic - it suggests some parallel world where you pay the subscriptions and he will share his secrets, but don't tell anyone else.

I subscribed to Sean Reid's service for a year. An utter waste of $30. I hated trying to read his articles due to the miserable UI, didn't find anything in them I didn't already know or that wasn't just useless personal opinion or technical trivia, and felt that his ridiculous policies to protect his precious self didn't respect me as his customer. Never again. 

At this point in time, if he cannot figure out a better way to distribute his work and garner an income from it, that's his problem and not one I'm going to fund him to figure out. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today I have a hands-on with the SL601 for a couple of hours at my local Leica Store. Here are some experience and thought to share:

-the shutter is very quiet (quieter than DSLR) although it is not completely silent. I feel that its shutter sounds lighter than the M240

-Its shutter release button is very refined and smooth, like onboard a luxurious German sedan.

-Single shot AF is very fast (as good as professional DSLR), but continuous tracking AF is not as good (disclaimer: action photography is not my expertise, therefore my test could be imperfect). I test it on SL24-90Zoom and T23Cron.

-Manual focusing: very easy to to get tag sharp focus (even for Noctilux at f0.95). Thanks to the great EVF and its magnified focusing aid. The M lens focusing tab (if it is your cup of tea) is perfectly positioned for manual focusing on the SL body.

-Perfect match for Noctilux for ergonomic, size and weight: perfect balance to hold, to focus (the Noct's focusing ring is perfectly positioned for the SL body vs a SLR lens), and to shoot; and to fit in commonly available camera bags, pouches etc.

-Holding a SL601-50Lux combi feels like holding M240+multi-functional-grip+50Lux, in in terms of size, weight and balance. Very useable. However, there is a huge difference:

Holding the SL grip feels like driving a race car such as a Ferrari, it's "raw", "tense", "not for long hour use" - simply because it's big and not contoured.

-The SL601-SL2490Zoom combi is heavy for me, because I am not used to DSLR+2470f2.8Zoom combi. Nonetheless, It is the weight and size for a typical professional photographer out-fit for event, studio if zoom is used, action etc.

-The SL601+18-Super-Elmar combi works excellently for me on landscape photo. The large and great EVF, and it's moveable focus magnifier are God-sent.

Other points about using SL and AF lenses, zoom lens and size-weight-balance offer no differentiated advantage to DSLR.

I like the double SD card slots, GPS, WiFi, one-press-quick-switch (the button beside the red video button) between still photo and video mode, weather-seal, joy-stick to move focusing point.

Richard

• Like 3

How would you compare the quickness of manual focusing compared to an optical rangefinder?  I didn't find focusing on the M240's EVF to be as snappy as with the rangefinder especially for lenses wider than 28mm.

Today I have a hands-on with the SL601 for a couple of hours at my local Leica Store. Here are some experience and thought to share:

-the shutter is very quiet (quieter than DSLR) although it is not completely silent. I feel that its shutter sounds lighter than the M240

-Its shutter release button is very refined and smooth, like onboard a luxurious German sedan.

-Single shot AF is very fast (as good as professional DSLR), but continuous tracking AF is not as good (disclaimer: action photography is not my expertise, therefore my test could be imperfect). I test it on SL24-90Zoom and T23Cron.

-Manual focusing: very easy to to get tag sharp focus (even for Noctilux at f0.95). Thanks to the great EVF and its magnified focusing aid. The M lens focusing tab (if it is your cup of tea) is perfectly positioned for manual focusing on the SL body.

-Perfect match for Noctilux for ergonomic, size and weight: perfect balance to hold, to focus (the Noct's focusing ring is perfectly positioned for the SL body vs a SLR lens), and to shoot; and to fit in commonly available camera bags, pouches etc.

-Holding a SL601-50Lux combi feels like holding M240+multi-functional-grip+50Lux, in in terms of size, weight and balance. Very useable. However, there is a huge difference:

Holding the SL grip feels like driving a race car such as a Ferrari, it's "raw", "tense", "not for long hour use" - simply because it's big and not contoured.

-The SL601-SL2490Zoom combi is heavy for me, because I am not used to DSLR+2470f2.8Zoom combi. Nonetheless, It is the weight and size for a typical professional photographer out-fit for event, studio if zoom is used, action etc.

-The SL601+18-Super-Elmar combi works excellently for me on landscape photo. The large and great EVF, and it's moveable focus magnifier are God-sent.

Other points about using SL and AF lenses, zoom lens and size-weight-balance offer no differentiated advantage to DSLR.

I like the double SD card slots, GPS, WiFi, one-press-quick-switch (the button beside the red video button) between still photo and video mode, weather-seal, joy-stick to move focusing point.

Richard

Richard

Had a similar experience today at my local store. Camera feels good, is super responsive and the EVF is spectacular. I wish they would offer it on the next M, either build in or as an external attachment. In my view better than the optical viewfinder as you can see the final image with depth of field etc.

I was told the sensor is different for this model compared to M240 despite same megapixel. Makes me wonder if the image quality also differs for M, R or SL lenses. Also I guess the distance between sensor and these different lens types can only be optimized for one (which should be SL) and the others are a compromise, but maybe I am wrong. Perhaps they can tweak this with Firmware.

If they had given this a >=36 MP sensor it might be tempting (I often crop images and wish there were more MP) but until the next version is released it is no threat to my M.

Richard

I remarked after seeing the first official images of the new SL that the grip looked like it wouldn't be very comfortable and I've read a few comments now that it's rather uncomfortable for prolonged use. 

Of course I was jumped on by the fanboys for daring to criticise the design and how could I know as I didn't have one!

Seems a rather poor design oversight for a camera which is being marketed to the pro user, i.e. someone who is likely to be using their camera for prolonged periods…...

Seems a rather poor design oversight for a camera which is being marketed to the pro user, i.e. someone who is likely to be using their camera for prolonged periods…...

Not being a pro, I can not really tell whether pros usually grasp their cameras for prolonged periods with the right hand at the grip. 

Not being a pro, I can not really tell whether pros usually grasp their cameras for prolonged periods with the right hand at the grip. 

If you're covering a wedding, for example, you will be hand holding the camera most of the time, for typically 4-12 hours depending on the type of event you're covering. 

• Like 1

If you're covering a wedding, for example, you will be hand holding the camera most of the time, for typically 4-12 hours depending on the type of event you're covering. 

One fact you have failed to take into account is that an accessory wrist strap and multifunction hand grip are available .. and just like the DMR (have you ever used one and experienced the ergonomics of its wrist strap?) will probably make the SL comfortable in use for long periods. 

LEICA MULTIFUNCTION HAND GRIP SL

The multifunction grip simplifies handling for portrait format

pictures thanks to its form and appropriately positioned operating

elements. It also allows the use of an additional battery to increase

the capacity. Its attachment – with tripod screw - is quick and easy.

(Order no. 14 495)

WRIST STRAP FOR LEICA MULTIFUNCTION HAND GRIP SL

Together with the Leica Multifunction Hand Grip SL, this wrist strap

provides a secure hold on the camera, particularly when it is being

carried and when using long and heavy lenses.

(Order no. 14 495)

And please also note that some professionals have expressed their interest in buying the camera and Jono is on record as actually ordering an SL … all contrary to your recent dogmatic prediction.  

dunk

One fact you have failed to take into account is that an accessory wrist strap and multifunction hand grip are available .. and just like the DMR (have you ever used one and experienced the ergonomics of its wrist strap?) will probably make the SL comfortable in use for long periods. 

And please also note that some professionals have expressed their interest in buying the camera and Jono is on record as actually ordering an SL … all contrary to your recent dogmatic prediction.  

dunk

The additional grip appears to follow the same design so will likely be just as bad I'm afraid - I'm only going on what I've read from several different sources now, that the cameras grip is uncomfortable to hold onto for any length of time. 

I said from the start that the design didn't look particularly ergonomic and I'm reading comments from people who have used the camera now which would suggest I may be right. 

Very similar comments over on the German forum too. 

Dunk if anyone is being dogmatic here it's you, or have you been using the SL and are talking from experience?

Dunk if anyone is being dogmatic here it's you, or have you been using the SL and are talking from experience?

I am not Dunk, but in my experience a larger and heavier S2P is quite usable as hand-held for 4-12 hours.

And you know its ergonomic difference from the SL after reviewing their official images? Color me convinced.

Well, err, yes. It's pretty obvious to see, and as I said a number of people who have been trying the SL have remarked about it being uncomfortable to hand-hold for any length of time. 

What is your point?